Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RS*R Super Downs Installed (tons of info)

Old 04-07-14, 01:45 PM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fiendskill
Would either adding more camer or a smaller tire like 225, you think help in lessening the damage to the fender in that part?
A 225/35/19 would probably help due to the overall diameter being a little bit smaller than the 235/35/19. Keep in mind that all tires are not sized equally on their width: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...wered-3is.html
The 235 Conti DW has a very rounded profile and a narrow tread which helps fender clearance by a large margin. I compared it side by side with a 225/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sport and the PSS was MUCH wider than the 235/35 Conti.

Almost forgot...the camber is NOT adjustable on the 3rd gen RWD (front or rear).

Originally Posted by larry13
rsr coils... you wont regret it :-)
Maybe???? Or it could be J5 for less money????

Originally Posted by asapcolin
thanks for the info. I prefer the drop of the super downs more than the regular downs and other springs out right now, but i want to run 19s when i eventually get some wheels. i was also wondering if possibly a 225 up front would help with the rubbing since its stretched a little more. i'm not sure if i want to pick up the rsr coilovers just because i had coilovers on my last car, and it rode super stiff, where the lexus stock rides so much better and don't want to lose the ride quality completely.
I echo your thoughts completely. I love the drop of the SD springs much more than the Down springs which is why I bought the SD's. I had some custom valved KW Clubsports on my last STI and they were pretty stiff. Add in the fact that I replaced all of the soft rubber bushings with harder urethane bushings , the car quickly because something that my wife absolutely hated. I don't want to lose the nice Lexus ride but I know there will be some give and take.

Last edited by jaznraz; 04-07-14 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-07-14, 02:07 PM
asapcolin
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly, i had BC BR coilovers on my 05 WRX and then eventually switched to air suspension. I guess now im back to square one figuring out what suspension i want on my IS... one things for sure the stock ride height has got to go
Old 04-07-14, 02:42 PM
fiendskill
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaznraz
A 225/35/19 would probably help due to the overall diameter being a little bit smaller than the 235/35/19. Keep in mind that all tires are not sized equally on their width: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...wered-3is.html
The 235 Conti DW has a very rounded profile and a narrow tread which helps fender clearance by a large margin. I compared it side by side with a 225/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sport and the PSS was MUCH wider than the 235/35 Conti.

Almost forgot...the camber is NOT adjustable on the 3rd gen RWD (front or rear).

Maybe???? Or it could be J5 for less money????

I echo your thoughts completely. I love the drop of the SD springs much more than the Down springs which is why I bought the SD's. I had some custom valved KW Clubsports on my last STI and they were pretty stiff. Add in the fact that I replaced all of the soft rubber bushings with harder urethane bushings , the car quickly because something that my wife absolutely hated. I don't want to lose the nice Lexus ride but I know there will be some give and take.
So getting 225/35 in the conti dw would be better then? And I have an awd, I would be able to adjust the front camber a tad bit more to help with clearance you think?
Old 04-07-14, 02:44 PM
larry13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So getting 225/35 in the conti dw would be better then? And I have an awd, I would be able to adjust the front camber a tad bit more to help with clearance you think?
check your pm bro
Old 04-07-14, 02:50 PM
fiendskill
Rookie

Originally Posted by larry13
check your pm bro
Got it, replied back
Old 04-07-14, 02:55 PM
larry13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got it, replied back
check again lol
Old 04-08-14, 05:00 AM
jaznraz
Driver

The Conti DW is not available in that size. Due to the location of the area that's rubbing, I doubt that adjusting camber would help.
Old 04-08-14, 04:17 PM
fiendskill
Rookie

The Conti DW is not available in that size. Due to the location of the area that's rubbing, I doubt that adjusting camber would help.
So just a skinnier tire would help then your saying?
Old 04-08-14, 04:54 PM
jaznraz
Driver

So just a skinnier tire would help then your saying?
A skinnier tire, a tire with a smaller diameter, a tire with a rounded edge, a wheel with a different offset, and/or a higher ride height would all help the issue. As much as I hate to say it, I think the latter might be the best option.
Old 04-08-14, 05:29 PM
fiendskill
Rookie

You think also being awd will help a little? Rsr website says that awd has more of a evem drop of 1.6 all around, compared to rwd of 2~ and 1.8~
Old 04-08-14, 06:14 PM
jaznraz
Driver

You think also being awd will help a little? Rsr website says that awd has more of a evem drop of 1.6 all around, compared to rwd of 2~ and 1.8~
Yes, that would help. I wish my front was dropped 1.6 instead of 2.12. That would also help the bump stop situation since you'd gain another. 5" of suspension travel. Well, I'm making an assumption that the shocks, bumps stops, and travels are the same on the AWD - who knows for sure. I wish that RSR made springs that were in between the super down and downs. That would likely be a good compromise.

I had to drive into work today (200 miles round trip) which let me gain some more thoughts about the springs and the ride. Half way to work, I began to think that everything felt pretty damn good until I hit 3 large dips/bumps that bottomed the suspension heavily. It hits hard....I don't like it. Other than those 3 instances, it was okay.

I still don't like the appearance of the rear camber. I desperately want to fix this....sketching some ideas now. Camber adjustment devices on multi link suspensions are not simple.
Old 04-08-14, 06:26 PM
fiendskill
Rookie

Ahh, I see. Good luck. Whenever I get a chance to get them installed ill post some info if needed to compare to the rwd
Old 04-08-14, 07:20 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you not cut any bit of the bump stops? Per Tein, I trimmed mine. The extra travel might help. My friend's e92 M3 has even less travel than you stock. My s2k on coilovers even moreso but you don't get the bone jarring feeling from hitting the bump stops.
Old 04-08-14, 07:53 PM
jaznraz
Driver

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
Did you not cut any bit of the bump stops? Per Tein, I trimmed mine. The extra travel might help. My friend's e92 M3 has even less travel than you stock. My s2k on coilovers even moreso but you don't get the bone jarring feeling from hitting the bump stops.
I talked to RSR prior to the install and they said not to cut the bump stops. If I were to cut them to get more travel, it would increase the front tire rubbing on the fender liner.

Does Tein include installation instructions? RSR does not.
Old 04-08-14, 10:25 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I talked to RSR prior to the install and they said not to cut the bump stops. If I were to cut them to get more travel, it would increase the front tire rubbing on the fender liner.

Does Tein include installation instructions? RSR does not.
Yes, but just basic instructions on the springs (e.g., bump stops).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS*R Super Downs Installed (tons of info)