Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RS*R Super Downs Installed (tons of info)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-14, 10:22 AM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After spending a few weeks on the super down's, I must admit they are not for me. The lack of suspension travel just doesn't cut it, large dips and bumps are bone jarring and also cause the dash and windshield to creak upon impact. I don't like this.

The actual ride height and ground clearance has NOT caused me any problems - I am surprised since it was my biggest concern initially. However, the front tire to fender clearance is somewhat of a problem. When pulling into driveways you pretty much need to have the wheels pointing straight forward or you will rub - the pics below show why.

I'll be switching to the J5 AVS compatible coilovers when they come in. The introductory price is a steal for a 7075 aluminum alloy coilover that allows you to use the existing AVS.

Wheels straight

Wheels turned half way

Wheels turned all the way
Old 04-22-14, 12:53 PM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My current setup is:

Wheel: Vossen CV5

Front: 20x9
Rear: 20x10.5

Tire: Toyo Proxes 4 Plus

Front: 225/30/20
Rear: 255/30/20

It's obviously a bigger wheel than yours but it is also a smaller tire size. I'm not sure how the rubbing would be on my car since it is different. I have heard a few things from multiple people and I keep getting different answers. People tell me it won't rub at all, it only rubs on bumps, and it sometimes rubs on turns. All I want is people who are running the same setup to show me or tell me exactly what I would be dealing with by running superdowns with my wheels.
Old 04-22-14, 05:48 PM
jaznraz
Driver

Originally Posted by sternb818
My current setup is:

Wheel: Vossen CV5

Front: 20x9
Rear: 20x10.5

Tire: Toyo Proxes 4 Plus

Front: 225/30/20
Rear: 255/30/20

It's obviously a bigger wheel than yours but it is also a smaller tire size. I'm not sure how the rubbing would be on my car since it is different. I have heard a few things from multiple people and I keep getting different answers. People tell me it won't rub at all, it only rubs on bumps, and it sometimes rubs on turns. All I want is people who are running the same setup to show me or tell me exactly what I would be dealing with by running superdowns with my wheels.
Your front tire diameter will be nearly the same as mine and the width should be narrower - this is good. What is the offset of your front wheel? I hope it's 38 and if so, the outer edge of your wheel will only stick out 3mm further than mine. If it's a 32 offset, it will stick out 8mm further (this could be bad).

Your rear wheel has a 45 offset which will make the outer edge of your wheel stick out 8mm further than mine. Your rear tire will be .8" taller on diameter than my tire. Both scenarios may cause issues, especially the offset. Your massively stretched tire will help...I hate stretched tires btw.

There is only one way to find out for sure if your super down setup will work.....try it. I still don't recommend it though - get the down springs or J5 coilovers.

This is a great wheel offset calculator:
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel...ulator#Results
Old 04-22-14, 07:42 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaznraz
After spending a few weeks on the super down's, I must admit they are not for me. The lack of suspension travel just doesn't cut it, large dips and bumps are bone jarring and also cause the dash and windshield to creak upon impact. I don't like this.

The actual ride height and ground clearance has NOT caused me any problems - I am surprised since it was my biggest concern initially. However, the front tire to fender clearance is somewhat of a problem. When pulling into driveways you pretty much need to have the wheels pointing straight forward or you will rub - the pics below show why.

I'll be switching to the J5 AVS compatible coilovers when they come in. The introductory price is a steal for a 7075 aluminum alloy coilover that allows you to use the existing AVS.

Wheels straight

Wheels turned half way

Wheels turned all the way
Do you scrape constantly on your front lip? I have to hit driveways and dips at a sharp angle and I'm on stechs. Otherwise I scrape all day. I'd imagine hitting driveways straightaway you're scraping badly.
Old 04-23-14, 05:27 AM
jaznraz
Driver

Originally Posted by amoney805
Do you scrape constantly on your front lip? I have to hit driveways and dips at a sharp angle and I'm on stechs. Otherwise I scrape all day. I'd imagine hitting driveways straightaway you're scraping badly.
Surprisingly, I've only scraped one time and that was in my driveway when I was testing the limits. However, I HAVE to enter all driveways and entrances at an angle and make sure my wheels are pointing forward when I'm doing it. If I had to enter them straightaway, I'd scrape like crazy.

When I get the coilovers, I plan to raise the car 1/4" to alleviate some of these problems.
Old 04-26-14, 08:56 AM
Jaydemm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on Super downs and i love the height. I'm looking to get 19x9.5+22 all around. I'll be rolling my fenders as well. My question is, what would be the best tires with not too much stretch, but not too thick. I was thinking 235/35?
Old 04-26-14, 01:34 PM
fiendskill
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jaydemm
I'm on Super downs and i love the height. I'm looking to get 19x9.5+22 all around. I'll be rolling my fenders as well. My question is, what would be the best tires with not too much stretch, but not too thick. I was thinking 235/35?
Isnt the fenders on our is already factory rolled?
Old 04-26-14, 02:31 PM
Jaydemm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fiendskill
Isnt the fenders on our is already factory rolled?
I understand that they are, but with +22 i pay be poking more than i want, so i'll probably have to roll/stretch more, so i was wondering what semistretch tires would be good
Old 04-28-14, 07:19 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks great and thanks for the in depth write-up.

Team RSR FTW !!!!
Old 04-28-14, 08:48 AM
jaznraz
Driver

Originally Posted by Jaydemm
I can't help you with that question, I'm not a "poker" or a "stretcher". You might check out juvi22003's build thread. If I remember correctly, he's aggressive and bagged. TheShaddix has an aggressive fitment too..he has a build thread.

Personally, I don't know how you're going to pull off a +22 wheel with super down's. Your front wheel would poke out 26mm (1") further than mine. Your rear wheel would poke out 18mm (3/4") further than mine.

Good luck.
Old 06-03-14, 03:50 PM
DoomBuggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by fiendskill
Ahh, I see. Good luck. Whenever I get a chance to get them installed ill post some info if needed to compare to the rwd
Did you ever get your Super Downs installed on the AWD?

I'm really eager to see another AWD on Super Downs (and preferably 19s) to check out the ride height. The 1.6" drop is much more appealing than the slammed look i see on all the RWDs. Anyone else with an AWD on SDs, feel free to chime in as well! I want to decide between Downs and Super Downs by the end of the week.
Old 06-09-14, 07:49 PM
asapcolin
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DoomBuggy
Did you ever get your Super Downs installed on the AWD?

I'm really eager to see another AWD on Super Downs (and preferably 19s) to check out the ride height. The 1.6" drop is much more appealing than the slammed look i see on all the RWDs. Anyone else with an AWD on SDs, feel free to chime in as well! I want to decide between Downs and Super Downs by the end of the week.
Just got my AWD on Super Downs today and threw some 19's on it! 19x10 +35 with 225/35/19 tires. No rubbing whatsoever!

Old 06-10-14, 06:13 PM
DoomBuggy
Rookie

asapcolin -- that looks AMAZING! Did you add any spacers?

My Super Downs just arrived today (thanks to fiendskill). Getting them installed Saturday morning.
After seeing your pics, i'm stoked. Might have to expedite the purchase of 19s as well...
Old 06-10-14, 06:50 PM
LexusFsprt
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Super Downs just arrived today (thanks to fiendskill). Getting them installed Saturday morning.
After seeing your pics, i'm stoked. Might have to expedite the purchase of 19s as well...
please post pictures on how it looks with stock wheels before you slap on some 19's, thanks
Old 06-10-14, 08:57 PM
asapcolin
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

no spacers the wheels fit amazing!

Quick Reply: RS*R Super Downs Installed (tons of info)