Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help with Gixxer_drew suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 09:10 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you cut new grooves into the shocks to have the bump stops mount lower? i see some machine marks on the shocks but not sure if you moved the c clip down or not

how do you like the ride vs stock?
Old 08-20-15, 04:27 PM
djsoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by estomax
did you cut new grooves into the shocks to have the bump stops mount lower? i see some machine marks on the shocks but not sure if you moved the c clip down or not

how do you like the ride vs stock?
Hey Marko, yes I did as previously discussed in this thread have new snap ring grooves machined 2.5 inches below the bottom bilstein groove so the spring perch could sit lower. You might have missed the c-clip in the pic due to it being the same color as the shocks but just look a bit closer at the rear shock pic. I took the 2 pics of the shocks as requested by flash9 so he could see the distance from the new snap ring location to the top of the shock. The rears were about 7" and the fronts were 7 1/4" or so.

About the ride, I can't give you a proper comparison from stock due to my car coming with kyb struts and tanabe nf210 springs originally. I will say finally after a couple of months and putting these supra wheels with some decent tires on I now have grip like I could never imagine. It has made me slightly overconfident in the twisties. I can easily push the car 30% harder without batting an eye now
Old 08-20-15, 05:03 PM
jeffreyjje
Driver School Candidate

Default added info & 2 cents

If you plan on running any drop you need to do several things. First, have the socks cut down so your SC wont look like a 4x4. Second, dont go with the hypercoil springs as they are weak & inacurate...go with Eibachs (stiffer & on point in terms of the weight they can take). Third, go with the 650/500 in order to have a lower car or sport ride. In hind sight I would have increased the dampening or went with the Bilstein race shocks that have silver bodies. Check out my post " Gixxer Drew Update 2014" ...have some good stuff in there.
Old 08-20-15, 07:29 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

jeffreyjje are you saying you had the shock rods shortened also in addition to lowering the grooves?

not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling on this custom build these days... i have enough frankenstein in my car to worry about already

and jeffrey are you rocking 8" springs?