Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Torsen LSD or Clutch LSD

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 09:55 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsen LSD or Clutch LSD

Hi guys,

I am buying the Cusco LSD for my GS/Aristo V300. I've been given a choice between the Torsen LSD or the clutch LSD.

I am leaning towards the Torsen LSD as it's progressive and does give under-steer.

However, I understand if I have 1 rear wheel lifting off, it ceases to function.

The clutch style LSD seems to be used in racing with 1.0/1.5/2.0 settings. However, this appears to put more stress on other drivetrain parts and the clutch style requires maintenance and rebuilds. It also gives under-steer, but it works when 1-wheel is in the air.

I'm leaning towards the Torsen LSD for my occasional track days etc. The car is mostly for fast road use.
Old 04-04-05, 02:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

personally if it's for fast road (relatively smooth) then i think the torsen is better. that's what i have and i have no complain

the only time it has problem is when i go up some steep driveway at an angle where it lifts up the pessenger rear wheel and the car is left spinning there....

the solution is veyr simple, you just press on the gas lightly when gassing. that will create enough friction to the free-spinning wheel and convert the tq to the other wheel. works very well
Old 04-04-05, 07:21 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove with an ATS [Active Traction Service] Carbon clutch-type LSD [1.5 way] for two years and recently swapped with a Supra 3.76 Torsen. No reason other than wanting to play with the 3.76 gearing. What is the HP/TQ rating for the cusco diffs? Do you retain stock gearing with both?

Some interesting info on the ATS site - they specifically address your issue with understeer. See the links for the Metal LSD as well. http://www.a-t-s-usa.com/ats-products/lsd-carbon.shtml
Old 04-04-05, 11:43 PM
yoshi
Pole Position

Hey dude,

Did you notice any better/worse acceleration between the Clutch & Torsen?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-05, 11:49 PM
yoshi
Pole Position

No idea on the TQ/HQ. I'll be using the stock Auto box from the Supra in my car.

The carbon LSD looks great. Don't think Cusco do that type and it's probably expensive!
Old 04-05-05, 12:14 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

The supra guys said that the Torsen is good if u are just an everyday street warrior but if you are a track and drag kinda guy, there's nothing else to compare but the clutch LSD. Make your choice.
Old 04-05-05, 12:27 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

What disadvantage does the clutch lsd give in every day driving? Is the car slower, harder to control or whatever?
Old 04-05-05, 07:37 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yoshi
What disadvantage does the clutch lsd give in every day driving? Is the car slower, harder to control or whatever?
I believe they said it makes the car erratic. Like the smoothness of the gear change is gone.
Old 04-05-05, 07:40 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

I do believe the Quaife LSD on the Ford Focus RS makes the car pull left or right on twisty roads. On a race-track is sings.
Old 04-05-05, 08:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
I believe they said it makes the car erratic. Like the smoothness of the gear change is gone.
I don't experience any of that with my TRD LSD, except when I initially had it installed it was filled with OEM diff oil and RX300 LSD additive. When I switched to Redline synthetic LSD fluid I could tell a difference in smoothness when the LSD engaged (going around corners) Any LSD will make your car react differently and shoot off in a different direction than you expect it to if you're used to an open differential under loss of traction (rain, snow, etc) conditions.

Edit - I remembered a few posts about this in the past that may be useful
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...sen+clutch+lsd
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+torsen+clutch

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-05-05 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-05-05, 09:36 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

Thanks for those links!

I'm still confused....'cos now I know it lowers top speed. My car will do 175mph...to be dropped to 135mph would be ruff!

I'll see what my Jap tuner supplier comes back with, it will be a Cusco diff of some sort, but I'm leaning towards the Torsen for low maintenance and easy install. My mechanic also recommends Torsen, but that might just be from the install point of view.
Old 04-05-05, 09:49 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

the top speed is only lowered if you go to taller gears, it is not a function of the LSD
Old 04-05-05, 10:58 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

Is the gearing something I spec with the LSD.

E>G 3.26 gearing

or 3.76 gearing?
Old 04-05-05, 11:06 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure how CUSCO sells theres, with TRD you can order it wtih the 3.73 gears or you can order it without the gears and swap the stock gears from your rearend into the LSD. That is what I did. You'll have to ask your retailer if you can get it with the stock 3.26 gears or not. If not then you may be able to get it without any gears and then pay someone to install your gears into the LSD unit.
Old 04-05-05, 04:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshi
Thanks for those links!

I'm still confused....'cos now I know it lowers top speed. My car will do 175mph...to be dropped to 135mph would be ruff!

I'll see what my Jap tuner supplier comes back with, it will be a Cusco diff of some sort, but I'm leaning towards the Torsen for low maintenance and easy install. My mechanic also recommends Torsen, but that might just be from the install point of view.
umm, the gs4 here are limited to 150mph, and with the lsd the speed drop to around 135mph. both cases it's the limiter kicking in. so if you use that ratio, and given that somehow your car can do 175mph, with the lsd i assume you should be able to do 150mph?

Quick Reply: Torsen LSD or Clutch LSD