Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Are upper ball joints replaceable?

Old 03-18-14, 04:05 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Are upper ball joints replaceable?

Hey guys I was wondering if we can replace just the Upper Ball Joints only? I need one on the drivers side to pass inspection, so obviously I'm replacing both at the same time, this sucks cause I just signed a lease in a brand new apartment, which is gonna be amazing for me and my fiancé, but this blows that I need to replace these, everywhere I look for upper ball joints it states I have to buy the control arm also? Is that right?

Thanks guys
Old 03-18-14, 04:18 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know no, they are not replaceable.
Old 03-18-14, 05:14 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Oems aren't replaceable, I'm in the same boat I gotta get both done in the next week or two, you gotta buy the whole control arm, I'm getting moogs on rockauto for about 260$. You can actually buy aftermarket control arms where after you had them you could just change the ball joint but why bother, upper ones probably only need changing once in the life of the car
Old 03-18-14, 06:00 PM
SiCcNeSs
Rookie

SPC 72270, are adjustable/ replaceable, $350 on amazon...
Old 03-18-14, 07:06 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys, ughhhhh this sucks, I'm going aftermarket I guess, money is tight...
Old 03-18-14, 07:39 PM
GSsportD
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just changed mines with Meyle UCAs, they look just like OEM and the ball joints are nice and tight.
Old 03-18-14, 07:51 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSsportD
I just changed mines with Meyle UCAs, they look just like OEM and the ball joints are nice and tight.
That's good to know their are other option other than oem that will rape us price wise, I think I'm going with Dorman, lifetime warranty for as long as you own your Gs, that's from RockAuto, that's pretty good to pass up, I gotta take it easy for a month driving, lots of potholes to dodge out here in Pa.. Thank god winters over though!.!.!.
Old 03-18-14, 08:14 PM
tereck
Driver

Originally Posted by FlockoV8
Hey guys I was wondering if we can replace just the Upper Ball Joints only? I need one on the drivers side to pass inspection, so obviously I'm replacing both at the same time, this sucks cause I just signed a lease in a brand new apartment, which is gonna be amazing for me and my fiancé, but this blows that I need to replace these, everywhere I look for upper ball joints it states I have to buy the control arm also? Is that right?

Thanks guys
Good place to look is partsgeek.com
They have them for 96 bucks each . Can't beat that. Good luck
Old 03-18-14, 08:24 PM
GSsportD
Driver

Originally Posted by FlockoV8
That's good to know their are other option other than oem that will rape us price wise, I think I'm going with Dorman, lifetime warranty for as long as you own your Gs, that's from RockAuto, that's pretty good to pass up, I gotta take it easy for a month driving, lots of potholes to dodge out here in Pa.. Thank god winters over though!.!.!.
Yea, I was surprised when I saw the price of the Meyle $130 for the pair. I know this seems like there might be a lack of quality for the price but I never heard anything negative about Meyle parts. Over here in NYC you can't even dodge some potholes cuz you'll end up in another and it's like this all year. Sometimes I want to go back to stock but when I look at my car there's no thought of that lol and I don't like heights so stock height won't work....
Old 03-18-14, 08:53 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Same here in MN, those bastards down south have it made.. Btw is changing the whole arm as easy as it looks? There's no diy that I can find
Old 03-18-14, 09:24 PM
GSsportD
Driver

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Same here in MN, those bastards down south have it made.. Btw is changing the whole arm as easy as it looks? There's no diy that I can find
You are right the south and west have it made. I did come across a DIY sometime in the past but can't find it. It's easy to change though, I did mines in like 45 mins or less.
Old 03-18-14, 09:29 PM
GSsportD
Driver

I just came across this video,

Old 03-18-14, 11:51 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

That looks really easy, do you have to torque the part with the ball joint to a certain tightness ?
Old 03-19-14, 04:42 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

is an alignment necessary after replacing that joint?
Old 03-19-14, 12:21 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Yea I'm going with dorman, $95 a piece from rockauto and pretty much anywhere else, thank god for that price, I'm not lowered or anything so I'll be good for a very long time, and I agree people out west and down south have no clue how great they have it roadwise, Pa streets are an absolute dump, it's a nightmare, good question about the alignment, I'm not sure, when I get my new dorman uca put on ill post a before with oem, and after with Dorman for comparison for u guys...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are upper ball joints replaceable?