Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question about spring/shock combo

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-03, 08:11 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about spring/shock combo

I have my eye on a couple of sets of springs. I can get the Eibachs for about $200 on the net. A couple of members are selling the H&R's for about the same price.

My question is this: Can I put either using stock shocks? What will the ride be like? What is the pro and con to doing it that way? What other options are there? Where can I order different shocks, that will not make the car stiff with either spring?

I know that this question has probably been asked a million times, but I tried searching under the spring names and there's like a zillion threads to read....I'm lazy..

Thanks in advance guys.

BTW, I have rode in a couple of members cars with L-tuned springs, but I don't remember what shocks they were using. The ride was not bad, I could live with that kind. I'm just checking if the other two options available now are worth looking into.
Old 02-07-03, 08:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i wouldn't suggest that. the stock shocks are very soft and with the springs (either one) the ride would be very bouncy and the stock shocks will die very fast.... just change both bother or even better, get coilover
Old 02-07-03, 09:03 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
i wouldn't suggest that. the stock shocks are very soft and with the springs (either one) the ride would be very bouncy and the stock shocks will die very fast.... just change both bother or even better, get coilover
Where is the best place to shop for shocks? Which shocks give the softest ride?
Old 02-07-03, 12:31 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Where is the best place to shop for shocks? Which shocks give the softest ride?
well if you've been in rides w/L-Tuned springs...then they probably have the L-Tuned shocks to go with it....I don't know about everyone else but I have the L-Tuned shocks andthey ride better than STOCK!!! I got mine from Steve Ganz over @ carson toyota....give him a ring over there or speak to angel and they'll give you the best prices around!!!

Hope this helps!

"D"
Old 02-07-03, 01:20 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an almost totally uninformed recommendation. Bilstein makes both heavy duty and sport shocks. It is pretty safe to assume that everyone here who has bilsteins, has the sport level. The HDs are more expensive, for some unknown reason, and are not valved as firm as the sport shocks, although firmer than stock. I can't vouch for their handling but if you find the L tuned to just be "acceptable", the bilstein HD might be an alternative. If you go ahead and get them, be sure to post your impressions as I don't think I know anyone who has ever gotten them. If anyone here has any experience with the bilstein HD, please post your impressions.
Old 02-11-03, 12:47 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default where to buy shocks?

I bought my Bilstein sport shocks at shox.com as suggested by a few CL members.......ask for either Chris, Mark, or Daryl.....all three are very helpful.

The price was $419 for the set.