Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Alignment after TEIN S-Tech

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 09:37 AM
bucanero
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment after TEIN S-Tech

I rub A LOT more on the rear left now that I got the alignment. I had the alignment done about 2 weeks after the spring install to let the springs set in a bit. I am running on 265/30/19 in rear. Wheels are 19x9.5 +35.

Before the rear left was rubbing only on hard right turns or huge bumps, now it seems on ANY right turn its rubbing.

Rear left is dropped significantly lower than rear right too. Gas tank? I should have just gone with coilovers....
Old 03-04-14, 11:31 AM
Arioch
Rookie

Where did you get the springs? Any chance they are knock offs? The shop that did my alignment had a hard time finding specs for the 2014 some of your values look a little wonky but i don't have my sheet with me to verify. I believe rear spec is -1.80 camber factory.
Old 03-04-14, 12:15 PM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They adjusted .5 degrees of camber out of the rear which pushed the tire closer to the fender. In addition, you were toed out (negative) a bunch before your alignment. When they corrected the toe, it brought the tire closer to the fender at the point where the tire normally rubs (at the fender/bumper joint behind the tire). Both adjustments reduced clearance between the tire and fender.

Any idea how they adjusted the rear camber? I was under my car last night and I couldn't figure out where the adjustment is. I think the only place it could possibly be adjusted is with a camber bolt where the top link attaches to the knuckle.

I was considering going with a 19x9.5+35 wheel to achieve a less aggressive fit than what most people run, but I'm surprised you are rubbing with a 265/30/19 tire. What tires are you running?

If the car sits lower on the left side, this would also cause more rubbing.
Old 03-04-14, 01:22 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no camber adjustment. You would need a camber kit.
Old 03-04-14, 02:26 PM
jaznraz
Driver

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
There is no camber adjustment. You would need a camber kit.
If that's the case, how did his rear camber change by .5 degrees? Did the change in toe affect the camber?
Old 03-04-14, 04:05 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jaznraz
They adjusted .5 degrees of camber out of the rear which pushed the tire closer to the fender. In addition, you were toed out (negative) a bunch before your alignment. When they corrected the toe, it brought the tire closer to the fender at the point where the tire normally rubs (at the fender/bumper joint behind the tire). Both adjustments reduced clearance between the tire and fender.

Any idea how they adjusted the rear camber? I was under my car last night and I couldn't figure out where the adjustment is. I think the only place it could possibly be adjusted is with a camber bolt where the top link attaches to the knuckle.

I was considering going with a 19x9.5+35 wheel to achieve a less aggressive fit than what most people run, but I'm surprised you are rubbing with a 265/30/19 tire. What tires are you running?

If the car sits lower on the left side, this would also cause more rubbing.
I thought the exact same thing going with 19x9.5 +35, that it wasn't as aggressive as I've seen on here and even more so when I decided on 265/30/19 tires! I am running on nitto INVO's, also there is no camber kit for the vehicle and they said there probably won't ever be one? I am pretty sure they aren't knock-off's. I have a pretty keen eye for those details and it looks very legit. Also, would running a, say, 235 tire make a difference? Beside stretching it of course. Falls within the parameters of a 9.5 wide wheel.
Old 03-04-14, 06:27 PM
jaznraz
Driver

Damn, I can't believe you're rubbing with Nitto Invo's since they look narrow and also spec narrow. I'm sure that a 235 or 245 would be better. What wheels are you running? Have any pics of the tire/fender area?

Ask your alignment shop how the rear camber changed.
Old 03-04-14, 09:40 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jaznraz
Damn, I can't believe you're rubbing with Nitto Invo's since they look narrow and also spec narrow. I'm sure that a 235 or 245 would be better. What wheels are you running? Have any pics of the tire/fender area?

Ask your alignment shop how the rear camber changed.
Crap, it might be cheaper to just buy the H-Tech springs and install just the rear left! nitto INVO's aren't the cheapest. That way I just keep the tires and since the car is a bit rear left heavy, it might actually work! Ideas? Suggestions?

I am on enkei raijin wheels.

Last edited by bucanero; 03-04-14 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-05-14, 04:29 AM
jaznraz
Driver

I don't know if that would be a good option since the springs probably have different spring rates which might cause it to feel funny over bumps. Adding a custom made spacer above the spring is probably an option. I am thinking about getting super down's and I had this idea in case the car is too low. It's feasible, but not the easiest solution.

I would also look into rolling or pulling your fenders. It's feasible but not very easy on the 3is.
Old 03-05-14, 07:29 AM
bucanero
Pole Position

Sounded like a good option. What about just the rear then? S.Techs up front and H.Techs in rear?
Old 03-05-14, 02:08 PM
jaznraz
Driver

Originally Posted by bucanero
Sounded like a good option. What about just the rear then? S.Techs up front and H.Techs in rear?
I don't know about that. ??????

I would pull or roll the fenders, add a custom spacer above the spring, or contact Tein about the height difference.

Contact your alignment shop to see if they can re-adjust the rear camber. I've heard people say it's not adjustable, however, your camber changed during the alignment. ????

Last edited by jaznraz; 03-05-14 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-05-14, 04:05 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bucanero
Swapping out the rears for Htechs is a viable option. Ive ran eibach fronts and tanabe rears in a previous car to achieve the drop I was looking for. Handled fine. But you might want to get another alignment done first and ask them to tweak it to the exact specs you're looking for.
Old 03-05-14, 04:15 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

Originally Posted by amoney805
Swapping out the rears for Htechs is a viable option. Ive ran eibach fronts and tanabe rears in a previous car to achieve the drop I was looking for. Handled fine. But you might want to get another alignment done first and ask them to tweak it to the exact specs you're looking for.
When I first installed springs, it was already sitting rear left heavy. It would rub, but only on huge drops. Now after the alignment, it still sits rear left heavy but rubs every single time. I could run over a damn ant and it might rub. I took the enkei's off and put the OEM ones back on while I find a solution. I just want the rear to have have equal drop on both sides, or as close as possible and not rub under such light conditions.
Old 03-05-14, 05:00 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can confirm that the left rear sits 3/16" lower than the right from factory. So just under a quarter of an inch. This may fluctuate if the tank of gas sits on that side. I'm not sure that it does.
Old 03-11-14, 09:55 AM
bucanero
Pole Position

This is what I currently put on, 265/30-19

This is what seems to be the best solution if the OEM tires and wheels are not rubbing.

I knew I shouldn't have changed width of the tires, just wheel diameter and sidewall down a bit. Looks like that is probably the best solution to stop the rubbing.

Anyone looking for some practically new 265/30-19 nitto invo's?

Quick Reply: Alignment after TEIN S-Tech