Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Maximizing performance + look + ride comfort + durability

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 02:36 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Maximizing performance + look + ride comfort + durability

I know performance, look, ride comfort, durability do not go hand in hand. Getting more performance will likely decrease ride comfort. I'm looking for a balanced system here.

I'm looking for lowering about 1.5 inch front and 1 inch rear type of look. This is better looking than stock. I'm not into slamming the car and makes it so inconvenient to drive around the block. My area has bunch of pot holes and dips all over.

For performance, I want to maximizing good cornering and less body roll.

For ride comfort, not too far away from OEM stock.

For durability, i want something to last 50,000 miles+ assuming normal driving + track 1-2 times a year.

Is there a suspension mode that fits all this requirement? Again, I'm looking into a balanced system. Not slamming VIP type for look only suspension.

Options below are being considered:
1. F Sport Spring + F Sport Shocks (seems pretty good)
2. Eiback spring + F Sport shocks
3. H&R + F Sport Shocks
4. BC Racing Coilover
5. Tein Coilover
6. Megan Coilover
7. Stance coilover

together with

F Sport front and rear sway bars (will these kill ride comfort too much??)

All opinions are highly appreciated.
Old 03-03-14, 06:35 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

What is your budget? Ultimately the BEST suspension are the Ohlins with both an adjustable compression and rebound stroke. But for most the price tag is just too far out of reach. Now, back to the most popular option...the BCRs. I have them and absolutely love them. You can adjust the ride height to whatever you want and the 30 ride dampening settings. You can actually adjust the ride quality back to what the OEM ride felt like; it also holds up nicely to all of the bumps/holes/etc in the road. Oh, and I'm at about 30k on the same original set of shocks without any leaks or loss of shock performance. If you end up going with coilovers, the key is getting the appropriate spring rate for your driving style. Example, I DD my slammed 2IS and am aggressive in the corners. My spring rates are 12k up front an 8k in the rear. Though this a GREAT DD setup for those like a comfortable ride quality and decent handling characteristics, I would ultimately like to change to 14k / 10k...if not 14k/12k.
Old 03-03-14, 07:31 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

budget is $1500 or less. I heard so much good things everywhere regarding the BCR. Can you adjust the ride dampening settings on the fly yourself without lifting up the car? If so, how? Also, the 12k front and 10k rear is the MAX stiffest settings you can have on the BCR right? However, we can adjust anything way below that. Is the stock stiffness around 6k front and 5k rear??

How much is the labor cost to adjust the height?
Old 03-04-14, 09:32 AM
06350F
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have and had I can tell you this much.
Prior car was a G37 with ebiach springs and stock struts. Ride was terriable from the suspension to the car

Prior car was an Is300 with tien street basics. Best ride, no bounce and quality stuff. Yes they were the bscis but they rode like stock

Currently is350, had tien SS springs on brand new shocks/struts, to bouncy for me not impressed with the drop. Good but not impressed and the bounce drive me crazy. Then I picked up a set of megan EZ's so far they are "ok" it's a cheap coilover but my car is an 06 with 100k+ miles. I'm not about to drop crazy money on it.

If I had a choice and could recommend the best thing is say look at the tien coils with an EDFC. Next Lexus will have that system. Best of luck
Old 03-04-14, 09:45 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Did you upgrade your shocks or use the same OEM shocks when you used the lower springs on the G37 and IS300??

How stiff is the Megan EZ and how good is the handling compared to stock?
Old 03-04-14, 10:02 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Teins coilover with edfc are junk. They're way to soft and bouncy. My friends had it on his isf and its on full stiff and still soft. We took an 15hr drive and it wasnt all that. I say go with BCR with swift spring upgrade along with a rear sway bar you'll be good.
Old 03-04-14, 10:14 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Again, I'm not looking for stiffest setting. I want a balanced system with good handling and ride comfort lol.
Old 03-04-14, 10:35 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Again, I'm not looking for stiffest setting. I want a balanced system with good handling and ride comfort lol.
Not tell you about stiffest setting. I'm telling you there soft and bouncy. Even if you adjust the damp its still a bouncy ride. Comfort you should stick with the basic spring rate of 10/8 on the coilover. Try the rear sway bar first for your handling.
Old 03-04-14, 12:40 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Megan LPs or BCRs with a 10k/8k or 12k/8k setup would be your best bet.

You can purchase "extenders" that easily allow you adjustability on the rear shocks; just pop the trunk and turn the extender to your desired setting. The fronts you merely remove the engine plastic covers (if you use them) and adjust the *****. The ride height can be adjusted by merely jacking up the car and using the provided spanner wrenches turn the locking rings up or down. This is usually done with the wheel removed for easy access. But if it is up on a rack, it'll not be 100% necessary.

GL on your decision!
Old 03-04-14, 12:52 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do any track days you want the adjustibility of coilovers. I am currently running the BC's with 12K/10k rates with swift spring upgrade and really like them. I do 4-5 track days a year and they are much better than the stock sport suspension. Crank the dampening down for your track days and it will perform so much better. For the street just tune back the dampening and they ride pretty nice. Bit stiffer than stock but good ride.