Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Track Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-14, 08:15 PM
MadDane
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Track Tires

Anyone run dedicated track tires?

Ie, Hoosiers, RA1's, etc?

What are you're experiences, and wat did you like, dislike about them?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-14, 11:47 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I've only ever used BFG G-Force R1s, and it wasn't on the Lexus. They worked out well for what they were intended.
Old 03-03-14, 08:54 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done about 10 track days on my IS350 and really want to get a second set of rims with some dedicated track tires and haven't pulled the trigger. I keep going with a slightly more aggressive street tires (Currently running Nitto NT05) but haven't tried a R compound tire yet. I might soon as I don't think my NT05's will last a year with street driving and they are getting spendy. Saying that R compound tires make a huge difference if you can push them had enough to get some good heat into them. My friend who got me into track days switched to Hoosiers about a year ago (Drives a 600+ Vett) and he shaved 2 seconds off his lap time and he is a very, very good driver with hundreds of track days under his belt. But with the extra grip of the R compound tires your brakes will take a beating and will probably need a dedicated set of track pads at minimum or a BBK upgrade so they don't fade after a few laps.
Old 03-03-14, 12:31 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Yeah, the single best investment (besides a driver mod) to decrease lap times is simply the tires. Been tested on many platforms AND even on my favorite show...TopGear.

There won't be many saying they have ran a set of dedicated R-compounds, but perhaps check out those on the Nissan/350/370 forums to see what best they have success with.

Minimum investment for a dedicated set of R-compounds and wheels will be around $2k, thus the reason you won't get alot of feedback in this department. Most spend that money on body kits and audio equipment. LOL!
Old 03-03-14, 01:24 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Yeah, the single best investment (besides a driver mod) to decrease lap times is simply the tires. Been tested on many platforms AND even on my favorite show...TopGear.

There won't be many saying they have ran a set of dedicated R-compounds, but perhaps check out those on the Nissan/350/370 forums to see what best they have success with.

Minimum investment for a dedicated set of R-compounds and wheels will be around $2k, thus the reason you won't get alot of feedback in this department. Most spend that money on body kits and audio equipment. LOL!
Ain't that the truth! Lol.

OP, you can search around the IS-F sub-forum for some better feedback regarding competition tires as a good portion of the owners there are track junkies.
Old 03-04-14, 06:46 AM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Track like a road course correct?
Will you be swapping tires at the track or driving on the street with these tires?

_If you are just doing track days, not timed competition events, just get some good street tires like the RS3'/ ZII/ AD08R/ Rivals/ R1Rs

_If you want R-comps: I liked the NT01s a lot better than the R888

_If you are looking at Hoosiers: the R6s are the ones for track but I would not recommend street driving them, yes I know they are DOT approved. The A6s are more of an AutoX tire; you can use them on a road course if you can justify the price and the life of just a couple of laps.
Old 03-04-14, 07:14 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I had really good success with Toyo R888 at my last track weekend at Roebling Road...they were not too expensive, and provided great traction on a road coarse and a drag strip
Old 03-04-14, 09:57 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to SCCA
1. Effective 1/1/14 – Minimum UTQG tread wear rating of 140
2. Effective 1/1/15 – Minimum UTQG tread wear rating of 200

I think the nt05 are utqg of 200, nt01 are just 100. (Just as a reference, not a recommendation).
You may want to factor that into any purchasing decision you make if plan on autocross next year.
Old 03-06-14, 10:41 AM
MadDane
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350

I used to race.

I've done hundreds and hundreds of laps at every track in California in many different cars and motorcycles.

I've run kuhmo's, hoosiers, RA1's (My favorite), Pilot sports, etc

Thanks for all of this...

"I have done about 10 track days on my IS350 and really want to get a second set of rims with some dedicated track tires and haven't pulled the trigger. I keep going with a slightly more aggressive street tires (Currently running Nitto NT05) but haven't tried a R compound tire yet."

or these...

"_If you want R-comps: I liked the NT01s a lot better than the R888

_If you are looking at Hoosiers: the R6s are the ones for track but I would not recommend street driving them, yes I know they are DOT approved. The A6s are more of an AutoX tire; you can use them on a road course if you can justify the price and the life of just a couple of laps."

"I had really good success with Toyo R888 at my last track weekend at Roebling Road...they were not too expensive, and provided great traction on a road coarse and a drag strip"

I'll head over to the IS-F forum,

Thanks for your replies.

Claus