Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Aftermarket Brake

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-03, 11:48 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Brake

I've been thinking to do some aftermarket calipers upgrade but there are a few questions left to be answered. Lots of people have performed the SupraTT kit upgrade in both Japan and U.S., does it really shortens the braking distance? The reason I'm asking is 4 piston doesn't always provide a better performance than stock. One dear CL member, Pearlpower, did some testing with 4 piston wilwood and reported to be worse than stock because of less contact area of the pads.

I couldn't find any info as how SupraTT, Brembo, AP, or even TRD mono-block actually performs other than "it brakes harder" or "I FEEL it brakes better" on GS. If there is such information that I overlook, please do not hesitate correct me.

TIA
Old 02-04-03, 12:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

RA - (assume you aren't the same guy who used to post on here as RacingAristo)

The biggest difference you notice immediately is the spongy stock pedal feel is eliminated. IMO, that's a huge improvement. Probably kept me from slamming into the back of a minivan at some point.

However, the main mechanical improvement with the upgrade is a big reduction in brake fade with the large four or six piston brakes.

There are a number of informative threads on this you can find by searching for 'brake fade', couple of them below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=brake+fade

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=brake+fade
Old 02-04-03, 12:44 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

"and reported to be worse than stock because of less contact area of the pads"

I don't know about wilwood brake, but the supra rotor is bigger than the stock rotor, bigger pad also, meaning more surface/friction...meaning more stopping power.

Supra Front Rotors: 12.7in. diameter - 20lbs
Stock GS Front Rotors: ~11.5in. diameter - 18lbs
Old 02-04-03, 01:06 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Dave and Banana,

Thanks for the info. I am going to contact Steve and see which calipers are bigger (more contact area), Celsior or SupraTT.
Old 02-04-03, 01:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very true, more pistons actaully don't mean anytthing to stopping distance, it's the material of pads, total pads area, and the rotors that determine stopping distance. number of pistons mostly just help to distribute the pressure so it will reduce brake fade

seriously i don't know about other brakes but my ap racing is so freaking strong. i don't have number on my ap racing yet (no time for testing) but i would say it really shortens the stopping distance. it really GRIPS
Old 02-04-03, 02:31 PM
jeffandi
Driver

Originally posted by rominl
seriously i don't know about other brakes but my ap racing is so freaking strong. i don't have number on my ap racing yet (no time for testing) but i would say it really shortens the stopping distance. it really GRIPS [/B]
You can say that again.

Jeff
Old 02-04-03, 02:41 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Stopping power is primarily related more to contact patch(es) of rubber on the road than brake pad surface area; more rubber = more stopping power.

All the brake stuff is to provide better feel AND more thermal mass to reduce heat buildup in the fluid (reduce fade, as already pointed out). Boil the fluid and it won't matter how many pistons, how big the rotor, how stainless is the steel in the brake line.

If you want to stop in shorter distances ONCE, more rubber is sufficient. Running on a track is a different matter.