Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

diff bushing replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 09:54 PM
89supra884
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff bushing replacement?

i will be upgrading my diff bushings with battleversion ones. i was just wondering who here has replaced the 2 in the subframe while it was still in the car. i really dont want to drop it and was just seeing who has all done it while in the car. also did you guys heat up the subframe, or what did you do to make it easier. was also wondering if it matters if you pound the bushings out towards the front of the car or the rear. any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-25-14, 09:18 AM
BattleVer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the diff bushings, no need to heat them up. The rear ones are full of gummy stuff so if you heat them up, it makes a mess.

We use an air hammer with the flat end on it. Get it behind the metal ring and work your way around the bushing. Once you get it to move a bit, sometimes you can hit the center with a hammer and if your lucky or strong, it will pop out. If not just keep working around it. Yes you can do it in the car but we had it up on the lift with the subframe dropped down enough to work. That spare tire area gets in the way.
Old 02-25-14, 09:25 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Welcome back Alex! Any word on battleversion production?
Old 03-05-14, 09:19 PM
turb0g33k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is not really helpful, but, just prepare for it to suck, especially if you don't have some legit tools. you're gonna have to go to town to get them out. Heat wont help much, but you WILL need an air hammer, even if you pull the sub frame. and not a lot of room to play with it in the car either due to the spare wheel well. even out of the car, bushings like that sometimes ultimately require burning the rubber out and then a sawzall to cut the shell and relieve the fit which might be really really hard to do in the car. prepare for the worst, hope for the best. just sayin.

Last edited by turb0g33k; 03-05-14 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 07:15 AM
emoFTW
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say drop the subframe, it will make your life much much easier. I dropped mine and it was still a hassle to get them out. The two big rear diff bushings are a pain to get out, even the two ear bushings on the actual diff was hard to get out. The two top subframe bushings were a breeze though.

The subframe is pretty easy to drop, just drop diff first to make it a little lighter, then unbolt the suspension and whatever else necessary and drop the subframe with the axles, control arms, braking system all still attached. I found it easier for me doing it that way.