Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Keep An Eye On Your *TRD* Rear Pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-03, 05:26 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Keep An Eye On Your Rear Pads

Keep An Eye On Your Rear Pads

About a week ago or so, I thought I heard some rubbing, no squeaking, coming from the rear wheel are of the GS when I would brake at very slow speeds, like right before I would stop. I didn't hear it all the time since usually I'm enjoying my stereo. I didn’t think much of it; maybe a pebble caught somewhere. It continued, but I didn’t have time to address it.

This past weekend (I only drive my car on the weekends) it got much worse. I thought maybe my parking brake was out of alignment, so I mashed it to the floor and released it, while parked, about 5-6 times to cycle it and hopefully set it straight. Nope, still the sound.

I got out and took a look, and this is what I saw.

Apparently, the TRD pads do not contain wear indicators, you know, thew squeaking you usually hear when your pads are wearing thin.

Not that I am passing the buck, but at my 55k, I never heard anything from my dealer.

Anyway, yeah, bad. The TRD pad, had worn unevenly all the way down to the caliper. Not too big of a deal since I am changing out the rotors and pads this weekend on my own (this will be up on my site in a week or so - more goodies ) , but I thought it might be useful to others.
Attached Thumbnails Keep An Eye On Your *TRD* Rear Pads-doubleshot.jpg  
Old 02-03-03, 07:19 PM
hlee1169
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ouch!

Thanks for the info. I too have a set of TRD brake pads, but it seems that they are wearing faster than the regular pads, and you have to pay more attention to it. I might just replace my next set with the regular pads to avoid this potential problem.
Old 02-03-03, 08:42 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW Dex, that happened to me back in November, i had to pay $1200 to replace both rear calipers and rotors. It was a horrible grinding noise.
Old 02-03-03, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow that's not good man... luckily you found out about that.
Old 02-04-03, 06:41 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, my rear TRD pads wore out quickly also. Too quickly in my opinion. Almost ground into my rotors. I actually went back to the OEM pads, since braking is 90% front anyway.

They make EBC greenstuff for the rear, $59 set at Tire Rack. Someone should try it. I use the greenstuff in front for my AP setup, and it has been very good so far.
Old 02-04-03, 06:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I got EBC greenstuff for rears (and fronts, of course) when I put my TT brakes on. Working great so far .
Old 02-04-03, 06:56 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by QBranchCars
Yeah, my rear TRD pads wore out quickly also. Too quickly in my opinion. Almost ground into my rotors. I actually went back to the OEM pads, since braking is 90% front anyway.

They make EBC greenstuff for the rear, $59 set at Tire Rack. Someone should try it. I use the greenstuff in front for my AP setup, and it has been very good so far.
Good points QBC. My braking system is getting an overhaul including rotors and pads (EBC Greens), and I'll have some pics (of course!) and a write up in a couple weeks.
Old 02-06-03, 05:41 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

I'm switching to Endless CC-X in the rear once it gets warmer. I believe they keep the wear indicator.
Old 02-07-03, 07:56 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the similar experience with my TRD rear too... My wife was doing most of the driving and did not tell me what she was experiencing..

By the time that I found out whats going on.. both rear rotor was badly damaged. The Pad was completely gone.. left with a metal piece that was scratching away on the rotor. Never again with TRD pad.. too dusty anyway...

The funny part is that TRD pad did not last more than 4000K miles. Really not a product to recommand to anyone.

Now I had the back replace with EBC Green.. hopefully this will last better... and no dust...
Old 02-07-03, 08:45 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Shinchan
The funny part is that TRD pad did not last more than 4000K miles. Really not a product to recommand to anyone.
Yeah, wierd. My fronts are OK, but the rears.

Full EBCs are next for me.
Old 02-07-03, 02:24 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default REAR BRAKES

I HAD THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME TODAY, I AM STILL AT WORK AND HAVE TO KEEP DRIVIN IT TO AN APPT. AFTER. I HOPE THEY DON'T GRIND THE ROTORS TOO BAD, DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO REPLACE THE SLOTTED ROTOR WITH A REG ONE.
Old 02-07-03, 06:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it's weird that the rear pads eats up so much faster than the front. usually you change the front two times before you change the rears
Old 02-08-03, 07:48 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by futuregs
WOW Dex, that happened to me back in November, i had to pay $1200 to replace both rear calipers and rotors. It was a horrible grinding noise.
Are you kidding? You could have gotten a sweet brake upgrade for that!?!?

R

Aslo, how did it ruin the calipers?
Old 02-08-03, 08:34 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Man, I wish I would have heard about this from others. Did I miss the posts?
Old 02-10-03, 04:06 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have posted my problem 3 month ago.. no one else was mention the same probelm that I was having...

Quick Reply: Keep An Eye On Your *TRD* Rear Pads