Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Best rear brake caliper

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 03:29 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best rear brake caliper

I just ordered my ls400 calipers for the front bbk. I am currently looking at options for the rear calipers as I want to upgrade them to better match the fronts. I also plan to do drilled/slotted rotors on all four corners with some nice performance brake pads and stainless lines. I plan to get the calipers powder coated so I want to do all of this in the same day. I know the supra tt rear calipers are bolt on, but they are spendy. I'm curious if the gs300 rear calipers will bolt on? I think those look a little better and are a twin piston caliper. Does anyone know if the gs rears are bolt on? If not is there any other option besides the sc400 calipers and supra tt?
Old 02-05-14, 04:00 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're not. The only worthwhile upgrade of which I am aware for the rears are the TT. I don't think the 400 rears are worth the time. There are deals on the TT rears out there now. I was searching for a while and nothing was out there and then it seemed like 3 sets popped up about the same time. I got my set of calipers, hawk pads and dimpled rotors for 415 landed. they'll be delivered friday.

Some work has been done to retrofit other options on the rears but nothing has born fruit yet. ISF rotors will fit but no one has found a caliper that will fit over it yet and work with a bracket.
Old 02-05-14, 04:57 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Hmm that's a bummer. GS calipers can be had real cheap. Where's the best place to find the TT rears and how much $? I've only found semi-loaded remans on eBay for $220 a piece.. A little too steep for me. What do you guys usually pay for a set of TT rear calipers?
Old 02-05-14, 05:35 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

there was set FS on here not too long ago (like 2 days i think), calipers and pads for 350ish. i got mine off supra forums. just have to stalk the classifieds and have money ready to go and jump on it when you find them.
Old 02-05-14, 09:51 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Whats wrong with sc400 rear brakes? LS400 comes with the monoblock fronts and similarly sized rear brakes to an sc400, the LS is a heavier car and it stops fine. I'm sure that'd be more than adequate for SC. Some good braided brake lines, good pads and good brake fluid will bring the best out of it.
Old 02-06-14, 12:49 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

OP, depending on your intended use you don't need the TT rear calipers, really but yes, those and rear SC400/98-00 SC300/Supra MKIV NA rear calipers are your only options. For reference I bought my TT front calipers new from a dealer (not list) and later on I bought my TT rear calipers used for about $450-$500. The dust shields are the most annoying part of the swap: front TT dust shields are fairly inexpensive and worth buying. You notch them with a Dremel cutting wheel to slide them on without removing the entire hub and bearing assembly from the axle. The rear TT dust shields on the other hand, are a fortune and not worth it. Better to carefully measure and use a Dremel cutting wheel (remember to buff all the sharp edges) your stock rear shield lips to clear the calipers and discs.

The majority of the braking difference will be felt once you install the LS400 calipers up front. Night and day. Should have been standard on a performance luxury coupe.

A matched pad selection for the front and rear will be the challenge but recently there have been some nice compounds out for the 95-99 LS400 front calipers.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-06-14 at 04:08 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-06-14, 10:31 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

I don't think there's anything wrong with SC400 rear brakes, just not worth the effort or expenditure as an upgrade over the 300's rears to me. Kahn's got it right, chances are you don't need them but to me if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. Doubly so on a system so crucial to not dying in a fiery ball somewhere.
Old 02-06-14, 11:48 AM
es30000000
Pole Position

I understand where you guys are coming from in regards to the minimal benefits from the rear calipers, but mainly it is cosmetic to me. I want a fixed rear caliper to match the front and have that big brake look on all four corners. Looks like I'll have to wait it out for some used tt rears.
Old 02-06-14, 11:55 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Right, dying in a fireball somewhere cause of sc4 brakes.....but yeah es3 i agree, people upgrade brakes 90% looks cool and 10% function, unless of course they use their car for racing on a track.
Old 02-06-14, 01:43 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

I don't think I made that direct association but I'm upgrading my brakes for function and SC4 ain't going to cut it. If OP is looking for cosmetics only to fill out the rears a little and match the fronts, it's a fine option and certainly won't hurt. Up to him if it's worth his money and time to do it.
Old 02-06-14, 01:43 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The best rear brake option is the TT's. They can be found on Supra forums pretty reasonable. I bought a used set with rotors for 325.00. They make a significant difference over the factory caliper. My car stops unbelievably well. These on the back of my car are new from Toyota and were 272.00 each with the R1 rotors being 200.

Shane
Attached Thumbnails Best rear brake caliper-rearbr1.jpg   Best rear brake caliper-wheel4.jpg  
Old 02-06-14, 02:00 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Cant get much prettier than that setup. ^^^^^^^

TT's are the best looking IMO for the money.
Old 02-06-14, 03:43 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Yes that's exactly what I'm looking for. TT it is. Just gotta save up a little extra money for them. Definitely getting some nice rotors and pads with stainless steel lines all around. I want the best performance I can get as well as aesthetics. I got my ls400 calipers for a steal so I suppose that makes up for the price of the TT's.
Old 02-06-14, 04:24 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by Candela
Right, dying in a fireball somewhere cause of sc4 brakes.....but yeah es3 i agree, people upgrade brakes 90% looks cool and 10% function, unless of course they use their car for racing on a track.
I agree with this, too. There is really nothing wrong with the SC300 rear or SC400 rear brakes. The FRONT SC brakes-- yes, ditch them immediately. Even Chevy's new SS sedan has big Brembo four pots up front and conventional sliding calipers in the rear and it's fine for braking force and fade resistance.

Eventual track use is one reason I went with TT rears, so I could have the best braking bias possible at 9/10's and 10/10th's. On the street it isn't needed of course but there is a difference in feel and stability.

Still, 90% of the difference from a totally stock system will be LS400 or TT front calipers, stainless brake lines and a performance pad compound. And quality performance tires, too.

Originally Posted by SSmith
The best rear brake option is the TT's. They can be found on Supra forums pretty reasonable. I bought a used set with rotors for 325.00. They make a significant difference over the factory caliper. My car stops unbelievably well. These on the back of my car are new from Toyota and were 272.00 each with the R1 rotors being 200.

Shane
I concur with Shane. There IS a noticeable difference on the street when you have the front and rear calipers upgraded to TT spec. If you drive in the most calm manner possible you won't notice. If you drive very aggressively you will notice. It's important to note that the full TT system was designed to resist repeated fade on a racetrack or at least give the owner a basic track braking system. On the street that won't be the case, really. Again, it's a different story with the fronts-- should have been stock.

For looks they are awesome and dare I say understated. For function the TT rears are worth it depending on your driving style if the cost isn't a big issue for you.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-06-14 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-26-15, 12:18 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

has anyone ever made a bracket to fit LS400 brakes on the rear? i have TTs all around and have some Front TT rotors laying around, wondering if it would be possible to put the LS400 calipers on the rear with the TT rotors. also would that many cylinders be too many for the brake booster? how squishy would the pedal feel?

Quick Reply: Best rear brake caliper