Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F Sport Shocks Only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 08:20 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default F Sport Shocks Only?

Hi everyone, I have searched and have not found anything about anyone that has replaced their OE shocks ONLY (without installing different springs) with the F Sport shocks.

My GS300 AWD accepts the same F Sport shocks as the IS AWD, and the GS cannot be lowered without wobbles and other NVH issues (so I won't be changing springs).

SO... I'm looking to install these shocks and wanted to see if anyone has done this in the IS world without swapping springs.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-03-14, 10:10 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you need new shocks I don't see a negative. They're made by Bilstein I believe and they're a great quality brand. I personally have never seen someone change out to performance shocks without springs but like I said, there's no negative. Good luck.
Old 02-03-14, 10:32 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sffd103
If you need new shocks I don't see a negative. They're made by Bilstein I believe and they're a great quality brand. I personally have never seen someone change out to performance shocks without springs but like I said, there's no negative. Good luck.
My thought process is basically, either get a BMW 3 Series or Focus ST or see if the F Sport shocks can improve the feel and sense of handling. I already have the F Sport sways and it made a world of difference in roll resistance per interval of lateral acceleration.

I am at 100k miles, however, and it could be that my stock shocks have lost a bit of their 'edge'. The GS shocks are monotube KYB Gas a Just type and do last longer than a twin-tube design used in the IS.

Bilstein either nails the damping for a sport style shock, or they create a harsh damper that falls way to the performance side and out of the realm of acceptable comfort. I'm just looking to see the responses to gauge where these shocks fall. If they can be paired with stock springs to liven up the drive a bit with an acceptable amount of comfort loss, I'm in.
Old 02-03-14, 12:46 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

I'm actually installing mine soon with Road Magnet springs

You may consider F Sport springs if you're worried about issues. Can't go wrong with OEM.
Old 02-03-14, 01:55 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reyoasian
I'm actually installing mine soon with Road Magnet springs

You may consider F Sport springs if you're worried about issues. Can't go wrong with OEM.
You cannot even use the F Sport springs on the AWD 3GS due to wobbling and vibration.

Cannot do springs, otherwise they would have been on a long time ago!
Old 02-04-14, 08:10 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

even F-Sport has issues with that? I met a guy local he has Tanabe springs on his 3GS, he likes it. Rolls on 20's in the summer as well.
Old 02-04-14, 08:58 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reyoasian
even F-Sport has issues with that? I met a guy local he has Tanabe springs on his 3GS, he likes it. Rolls on 20's in the summer as well.
The AWD models do. The RWD, no worries.

The 2IS and the 3GS are VERY closely related.
Old 02-04-14, 10:09 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

2IS AWD get vibrations at idle and some wobbly at low speeds going off the line but it's ever so slightly I don't really feel it unless paying close attention to it =\

Maybe 3GS is worse due to the fact that it's a bigger car
Old 02-04-14, 10:11 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

On the F-Sport brochure, I don't see the 3GS AWD as an option for the F-Sport Shocks. If you plan on using the IS AWD version of the F-Sport Shocks, I would imagine that the difference in weight between your GS AWD and the IS AWD might cause some issues with how the shocks respond during the compression and extension cycles.
Attached Thumbnails F Sport Shocks Only?-shocks.jpg  

Last edited by redspencer; 02-04-14 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-10-14, 02:03 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redspencer
On the F-Sport brochure, I don't see the 3GS AWD as an option for the F-Sport Shocks. If you plan on using the IS AWD version of the F-Sport Shocks, I would imagine that the difference in weight between your GS AWD and the IS AWD might cause some issues with how the shocks respond during the compression and extension cycles.
Look up the weights. It's VERY close for the GS300. The GS350 weighs even more, and AWD is not listed. So then why list for GS300?
I know they fit. I know they don't want to list them as fitting on the GS as they are most commonly paired with the FSport springs as well. And lowering the AWD 3GS is not recommended.

But shocks alone... That could be a proper solution. I may give this a shot with stock springs.

Looks like nobody has done it.
Old 07-08-20, 02:10 PM
LexusLgend
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Simmsled
Look up the weights. It's VERY close for the GS300. The GS350 weighs even more, and AWD is not listed. So then why list for GS300?
I know they fit. I know they don't want to list them as fitting on the GS as they are most commonly paired with the FSport springs as well. And lowering the AWD 3GS is not recommended.

But shocks alone... That could be a proper solution. I may give this a shot with stock springs.

Looks like nobody has done it.
Hi Simmsled, reviving this thread, and any updates on this set up?