Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

new bilstein struts and TT springs, ride is incredibly rough

Old 03-09-14, 07:00 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be sitting on bumpstops anyway, doubt that is the issue
Old 03-09-14, 08:06 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

I think they were e46, i bought 2, they are long, cut em in half to make 4, used the nubby ones for the front as pictured, and the other ones for the rear dont have a picture tho.

Should NOT be sitting on the bumpstops at all times. Even when you purchase some springs instructions tell you to cut your oem bumpstops, take it to the next level with a bumpstop that is more forgiving when u come into contact with it.
Old 03-09-14, 10:27 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently looked at gixxer drew suspension thread on supraforums and there was a revision on this Bilstein shocks that made it all far from perfect. They are larger now and to do a proper setup you have to ask Bilstein to shorten them

Last edited by MMCtuner; 03-10-14 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-10-14, 08:54 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

^^^ you're probably talking about people revalving them for more aggressive spring rates
Old 03-10-14, 04:52 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nope. Neither "larger" nor "shorten" sound as revalving.
Here´s the link http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...hread../page47

Last edited by MMCtuner; 03-10-14 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-10-14, 08:45 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

It seems the older ones had longer rods/more shock travel in the front, which would kind of be negated by the spring anyway. I've got the newer front shocks, and I'm just sharing my experience from using the old stock hard-as-metal bump stop....to switching to the half bmw bumpstop that was more progressive in stiffness as it compressed. Hopefully sharing my experience can enlighten/heed/warn others. Thanks OP let us know how it goes.
Old 03-11-14, 06:59 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Candela
It seems the older ones had longer rods/more shock travel in the front, which would kind of be negated by the spring anyway. I've got the newer front shocks, and I'm just sharing my experience from using the old stock hard-as-metal bump stop....to switching to the half bmw bumpstop that was more progressive in stiffness as it compressed. Hopefully sharing my experience can enlighten/heed/warn others. Thanks OP let us know how it goes.
My point was that if you are hitting your bump stops (Which are designed as last measure to prevent damage to the suspension) often enough to feel the difference between two different bumpstops then there is something else wrong with your setup.
Old 03-11-14, 07:26 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

what you are failing to understand is that when u use lowering springs you are shortening the travel of the shock, companies that sell lowering springs include in the instructions a guide to trimming your oem bumpstops, yes legit companies like eibach h&r and tein. bumpstops are not only a preventative component, they are far more involved in suspension systems than you think.
Old 04-02-14, 04:55 PM
cameratoaa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP has returned!

First off, saw in the last comment that you have lowering springs...I dont, these are STOCK springs from a 95 supra TT with ~30k on them mated up with Bilstien AK1243 and AK1242 shocks (replacement unit models for the MKIV Supra). I dont think bump stops are the issue either, because ive felt what hitting a bump stop feels like in a different car and this is nothing like that.

With about 1000 miles on the new suspension the ride is considerably better and the car sits a little lower now that its settled more...but the ride is still far from where it should be based on what other owners say about this setup. The ride is still has considerable bounce to it, ie: going from normal freeway to an overpass to normal freeway, the dip that sometimes exists where the overpass meets the normal freeway road will give the car extra rebound after driving over it. Small imperfections and uneven road also feels very amplified.

Ive been in a supra TT with stock setup and it felt nothing like this, very comfortable but still solid when it needed to be...not sure if I have bum shocks or what at this point.

I think i mentioned before i have 18x8 wheels and with a thinner sidewall the ride will be a bit worse than with the fat 16's but it wasn't noticeably worse when i switched the wheels out on the old suspension.
Old 04-05-14, 08:41 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I think it's more of spring in your situation than a shock.
I have the same bilstein ak shocks and my ride is as comfy as lexus should be on a very slow speeds like 5-30mph, once you start approaching 40 and go to 70 the ride becomes more aggressive and firm how I would want. I don't have any bounce at a high speeds it's just great damping shocks!
I'm on tein s tech springs if I remember correctly rated at 738lb f and 320~R
Could have a little to do with how different the spring rates are, but it shouldn't be rough like you say
Oh I forgot, front end of the supra TT weighs a little more than a sc because, it could be that difference in weight, that makes a heavy car rated spring on a lighter car feel a little different, that's the other theory that's circling my head...

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 04-05-14 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-06-14, 06:28 AM
cameratoaa
Rookie

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
I think it's more of spring in your situation than a shock.
I have the same bilstein ak shocks and my ride is as comfy as lexus should be on a very slow speeds like 5-30mph, once you start approaching 40 and go to 70 the ride becomes more aggressive and firm how I would want. I don't have any bounce at a high speeds it's just great damping shocks!
I'm on tein s tech springs if I remember correctly rated at 738lb f and 320~R
Could have a little to do with how different the spring rates are, but it shouldn't be rough like you say
Oh I forgot, front end of the supra TT weighs a little more than a sc because, it could be that difference in weight, that makes a heavy car rated spring on a lighter car feel a little different, that's the other theory that's circling my head...
Are these what you got? http://www.tein.com/tech_info/l18.html they're 670 front and 360 rear. If the S-Tech springs are rated for a supra, wouldn't I be in the same situation where the spring rates are higher for a heaver front end? I got my TT springs for like a hundred bucks so im not out much if I get some S-Techs and throw them on to compare the difference.
Old 04-06-14, 07:14 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Candela
what you are failing to understand is that when u use lowering springs you are shortening the travel of the shock, companies that sell lowering springs include in the instructions a guide to trimming your oem bumpstops, yes legit companies like eibach h&r and tein. bumpstops are not only a preventative component, they are far more involved in suspension systems than you think.
Go on please explain how bump stops affect the ride of the car?
Old 04-06-14, 07:56 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cameratoaa
Are these what you got? http://www.tein.com/tech_info/l18.html they're 670 front and 360 rear. If the S-Tech springs are rated for a supra, wouldn't I be in the same situation where the spring rates are higher for a heaver front end? I got my TT springs for like a hundred bucks so im not out much if I get some S-Techs and throw them on to compare the difference.
Yes, that's the ones. Yes I see what you're saying being for the supra, but this combo is very lexus like ride. I even wish I could go to like 800 or 850 lb front springs, bc Id like for my ride to be firm all the time.
Last summer I was on the lower c groove, it handled awesome except for the scraping because of softer teins, I still want to go back to gixxer drew setup since I have the sleeves already
That's what's great about the mkiv bilsteins on sc, is customizable from shock spring to coilover soft or firm, high or low.
Also with so many different combos of differnt springs shocks sc300/400 there are so many variations what car would handle better or ride smoother we just have to try, fail, buy, sell till you get it perfect.
To be honest I'm on my 4th suspension setup, and it's still not perfect the way I wanted to be
I
Old 04-27-14, 07:04 PM
cameratoaa
Rookie

okokok so i pulled the trigger on a set of Tein S-tech springs, will have them installed this week sometime, get an alignment, then post back the results.
Old 04-27-14, 08:28 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

I just installed them on my car with the bilsteins and e36 bumpstops at the higher perch option for the bilsteins, you're gonna love it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new bilstein struts and TT springs, ride is incredibly rough