Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC4 rear is low after TT springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 02:09 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SC4 rear is low after TT springs

I finally had the time to install my MKIV TT springs and shocks on the rear. The fronts have been on for several months now. The issue is the rear seems very low. the drivers side is a full inch shorter than the passenger side. Saggy worn springs?

Now I absolutely love how the car handles now and the ride is firm but before I go buy new springs is there anything else I should evaluate?

Old 01-22-14, 03:40 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you check your rear sway bar links? Sometimes these rotate in the down position, and they need to be in the up position, if I remember correctly. I am only stating the obvious you can visibly check. Did the springs set correctly in the strut tower on the bottom? Compare the 2 and see if one has been cut on the top and you just didn't notice. Or ones side is completely worn out.
Old 01-22-14, 03:44 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

in all those pics, it looks like your on an incline. did you have a full tank? was there a lot of stuff in the trunk?
Old 01-22-14, 03:46 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Have you driven the car around for like 50 plus miles to allow them to settle pretty close to normal?
Old 01-22-14, 05:00 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Did you check your rear sway bar links? Sometimes these rotate in the down position, and they need to be in the up position, if I remember correctly. I am only stating the obvious you can visibly check. Did the springs set correctly in the strut tower on the bottom? Compare the 2 and see if one has been cut on the top and you just didn't notice. Or ones side is completely worn out.
I remember checking the tightness of them and they appeared to be in the normal position. I remember comparing the two rears before I put the spring/shock/mount together and they were the same height. Am I 100% sure it's seated right? No and it's something I will investigate Friday or Saturday when I have the time. I just don't recall anything being out of sorts when I put it on. That wheel takes the bumps differently too. Kinda feels like a weak coilover I had on my supra once.

Originally Posted by jadu
in all those pics, it looks like your on an incline. did you have a full tank? was there a lot of stuff in the trunk?
The first two pics are on my driveway which is level. The third is at my station on a very minor incline. Nothing of significance in the trunk other than some car cleaning stuff in an old plastic milk crate. I measured the height today with less than a half a tank.

Have you driven the car around for like 50 plus miles to allow them to settle pretty close to normal?
It's been driven a couple of hundred miles already. Today is when I noticed the drivers side lower than the passenger side. It's lower now than when I first put them on the other day.
Old 01-22-14, 05:50 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah i noticed this aswell, i mentioned it in another thread it does look lower in the rear making me think twice going with this setup. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-22-14, 06:29 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

I'm mostly ok with how the passenger side looks. Brand new OEM TT springs are not that expensive and I'm thinking about just buying two new ones and shocks too. We'll see.
Old 01-22-14, 08:46 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might as well get aftermarket springs for a supra, springs that only drop it about an inch max, that way they're brand new, slightly firmer spring rate, no sagging issues, and a uniform ride height.
Old 01-23-14, 03:15 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Candela
Might as well get aftermarket springs for a supra, springs that only drop it about an inch max, that way they're brand new, slightly firmer spring rate, no sagging issues, and a uniform ride height.
Been thinking of doing that aswell.
Old 01-24-14, 02:51 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Well keep us posted on your decision and findings.
Old 01-24-14, 05:21 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Well keep us posted on your decision and findings.
Will do. I like to try and finish my threads with a cause and solution haha.
Old 02-06-14, 02:39 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

I ordered new oem rear TT springs. When I get them on the car I'll advise and post pictures. The rear has gotten bouncy like a coilover feel. I don't like it at all and the left rear springs has sagged a little more. Irritating.
Old 02-07-14, 05:39 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gtsfire
I ordered new oem rear TT springs. When I get them on the car I'll advise and post pictures. The rear has gotten bouncy like a coilover feel. I don't like it at all and the left rear springs has sagged a little more. Irritating.
Sounds good
Old 02-14-14, 08:36 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

I received my springs and got them put on today. Before I drove it the drivers side was a half inch shorter than the passenger side. After driving it about 10 miles I noticed they evened out. They still look a little bit low to me but nothing like before. It for sure evened out the ride. It's doesn't have that bouncy feel anymore. I didn't have time to take pictures of it but I will tomorrow and post them up.
Old 02-15-14, 12:23 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Nice! OK I want to see how they look now.

Quick Reply: SC4 rear is low after TT springs