Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Replacing worn sway bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 06:05 AM
Freefallin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing worn sway bar bushings

Hey everyone I picked up a 92 SC300 today and the prior owner had noted that when the weather gets cold, the car clunks a bit with normal driving. He relayed to me that it was the front sway bar bushings. Does this sounds like it could be true?

If it is indeed the sway bar bushings. is the install pretty simple or do the bushings need to be pressed in or anything along those lines? When it comes to the quality of the bushings, should I be going with something like Prothane or will some cheap ones from the local auto parts store do the job?

Thanks in advance for helping out a new SC owner!
Old 01-19-14, 12:27 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Freefallin
Hey everyone I picked up a 92 SC300 today and the prior owner had noted that when the weather gets cold, the car clunks a bit with normal driving. He relayed to me that it was the front sway bar bushings. Does this sounds like it could be true?

If it is indeed the sway bar bushings. is the install pretty simple or do the bushings need to be pressed in or anything along those lines? When it comes to the quality of the bushings, should I be going with something like Prothane or will some cheap ones from the local auto parts store do the job?

Thanks in advance for helping out a new SC owner!

That is one of MANY possibilities when it comes to clunking. It is a very easy fix and no you do not have to do any pressing. I used bushings from a local parts store. In my opinion, unless you're going to keep the car for another ten years rubber replacements will be fine. They're not expensive so in the process of elimination start with that. Check your swaybar endlinks as well.

How many miles on the car? Tell us more about it with pics.
Old 01-19-14, 01:13 PM
Freefallin
Driver School Candidate

OK, thanks for the advise. I am having trouble finding a writeup on replacing these. Do you know of one by any chance?

Black
Auto
SC430 wheels
Pioneer Touch Screen double din
2 owner car until I got it
Super clean aside from typical wear and tear on the interior (drivers seat an steering wheel)
Exterior near mint
I will post some photos after I correct the paint and throw a permanent coating on it
Old 01-19-14, 04:25 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Freefallin
I am having trouble finding a writeup on replacing these. Do you know of one by any chance?
It's to easy for a write up. Jack the front up a little, crawl under and it's self explanatory. I think you'll just need a 10 mm socket, could be a 12 can't remember off hand.
Old 01-19-14, 04:45 PM
Freefallin
Driver School Candidate

12 found it thanks
Old 01-19-14, 04:52 PM
Freefallin
Driver School Candidate

I am pretty sure I need the 28.5mm for the front
Prothane 18-1123-BL Black 28.5 mm Front Sway Bar Bushing Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Prothane 18-1123-BL Black 28.5 mm Front Sway Bar Bushing Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

And 14mm for the rear
Prothane 18-1124-BL Black 14 mm Rear Sway Bar Bushing Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Prothane 18-1124-BL Black 14 mm Rear Sway Bar Bushing Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Are these the correct bushings guys?
Old 01-19-14, 06:35 PM
lanning
Driver School Candidate

http://m.ebay.com/itm/360683606537?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1http://m.ebay.com/itm/200936874085?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
This is what I ordered and works perfectly.
Edit: sorry not trying to advertise or anything.
Old 01-19-14, 08:39 PM
Freefallin
Driver School Candidate

The sizing you posted contradicts this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ing-today.html
Old 01-19-14, 09:41 PM
lanning
Driver School Candidate

That thread is for the second gen GS. If you are purchasing for a SC300 or 400 what I posted is correct.

Last edited by lanning; 01-19-14 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-20-14, 09:25 AM
Freefallin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lanning
That thread is for the second gen GS. If you are purchasing for a SC300 or 400 what I posted is correct.
Awesome, thanks. Going to order today.
Old 01-20-14, 11:19 AM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Interesting.... since i found out that my lower control arms bushings are really bad i wondered the same about rubber or polyurethane bushings , when i ride over a speed bump my car Squeaks really bad
does it really gives any noticeable difference in handling if when i do those lower arms upgrade the upper and sway as well ? i'm in a progress of getting the suspension stiffer and more direct steering in the near future
i checked e bay on bushings and i do see allot of poly once , any advice on brands or suppliers ?
its hard to just order something in the US since i'm in Europe and pay big shipping cost so i just want to be sure before i spend allot of money on items that aren't good enough

thanks
Old 01-20-14, 02:10 PM
lanning
Driver School Candidate

http://m.ebay.com/itm/190874222749?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
This is the complete kit that I ordered. It includes front and rear sway bar bushings. Two front upper control arm, two front lower control arm, 14 rear upper and lower bushings. I am in the middle of this install currently but everything seems really great for the price.
Old 01-20-14, 02:13 PM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

thx for your reaction , the package deal is good for me with only 1 cost for shipping
Old 01-20-14, 03:30 PM
Freefallin
Driver School Candidate

I just ordered the front and rear sway bar bushings. I suppose I am going for "process of elimination" lol. Hopefully the rear is as easy to do as the front!
Old 01-22-14, 04:09 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

To me the rear is as easy as the front. GL on your install. Pretty straight forward, nothing to remove to get to these that I remember.

Quick Reply: Replacing worn sway bar bushings