Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

aftermarket suspension addon? (on budget)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 05:50 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket suspension addon? (on budget)

My friend just recently purchased f sport lowering springs for his IS 250 and it looks really nice actually (better than stock, I parked my car right next to his) and I heard it handles a little bit better. I want to do the same but I know without changing to aftermarket shocks, the factory shocks may get worn out later in the future if I just change to lowering springs. I've also thought of a strut brace and/or anti sway bars but those seem to be more expensive than shocks and struts added together. Now my question is, which choice would be my best option for the best price? And what brands? I only know of BC racing, H&R, and Eibach. I don't know much about suspension at all so any tips/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-15-14, 11:26 PM
Kentchup
Pole Position

If your thinking of getting coils on a budget Megans would be a good choice, many member on here have Megans and they have always had good things to say, but if you wanna spend a little more i would recommend getting BC's as the saying goes "best bang for your buck". if your thinking of getting springs that would be a good choice to but like you said about the shocks getting worn out later, you might as well spend a little more to get coils
Old 01-16-14, 07:03 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fsport springs don't drop much so they don't add as much stress on ur shocks as other springs
plus, they're OEM
Not sure how road conditions u have there but avoid potholes and slow over bumps and your shocks would be good for quite a long time

but since u have rli nice weather there i would get bcr
Old 01-16-14, 09:30 AM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kentchup
If your thinking of getting coils on a budget Megans would be a good choice, many member on here have Megans and they have always had good things to say, but if you wanna spend a little more i would recommend getting BC's as the saying goes "best bang for your buck". if your thinking of getting springs that would be a good choice to but like you said about the shocks getting worn out later, you might as well spend a little more to get coils
So I did a little bit of searching, coils are too much for now (megan racing's a bit of a stretch and I don't trust third party companies even though they sell $200-$300 less than what more reputable shops sell). If it comes down to it, I might just get shocks and springs (maybe adjustable if the price is reasonable). What would be a good estimate of measurements for both front and rear?
Old 01-16-14, 09:31 AM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by reyoasian
fsport springs don't drop much so they don't add as much stress on ur shocks as other springs
plus, they're OEM
Not sure how road conditions u have there but avoid potholes and slow over bumps and your shocks would be good for quite a long time

but since u have rli nice weather there i would get bcr
right, I forgot the F sport springs are OEM. The roads that I use the most common are half and half; some are very well maintained, some have a ton of potholes, just depends on what city I'm in. I go sideways over all bumps so that shouldn't effect me at all.
Old 01-16-14, 11:39 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are several varieties of lowering springs that sound like they might be what you are after.
Some drop the car more than others. If you don't go too deep on the drop, i.e. drop the car 1.5" or so and no more, then unless you run your car pretty aggressively you aren't likely to ruin the shocks very quickly. The aftermarket springs are stiffer by a bit so that the strut itself won't bottom out too quickly.
You should be able to get replacement struts for cheap. Look how many people here have gone to coilovers. They should all have a set of unused struts lying around for you to buy cheap when yours are shot.
Old 01-16-14, 12:11 PM
Kentchup
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2012IS250
So I did a little bit of searching, coils are too much for now (megan racing's a bit of a stretch and I don't trust third party companies even though they sell $200-$300 less than what more reputable shops sell). If it comes down to it, I might just get shocks and springs (maybe adjustable if the price is reasonable). What would be a good estimate of measurements for both front and rear?
I'm not exactly sure what the measurements would be but i have seen some good ride heights from Road magnets and if you look them up and think that is kinda of low H&R springs are pretty good too
Old 01-16-14, 12:47 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scott1256c
there are several varieties of lowering springs that sound like they might be what you are after.
Some drop the car more than others. If you don't go too deep on the drop, i.e. drop the car 1.5" or so and no more, then unless you run your car pretty aggressively you aren't likely to ruin the shocks very quickly. The aftermarket springs are stiffer by a bit so that the strut itself won't bottom out too quickly.
You should be able to get replacement struts for cheap. Look how many people here have gone to coilovers. They should all have a set of unused struts lying around for you to buy cheap when yours are shot.
I take my car into the mountains a lot, there's actually a turn on there that's got a really steep incline, idk how some cars manage to get passed it but I've seen slammed miatas at the vista point a little later after the turn. Should I go for just the springs then?
Old 01-16-14, 12:49 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kentchup
I'm not exactly sure what the measurements would be but i have seen some good ride heights from Road magnets and if you look them up and think that is kinda of low H&R springs are pretty good too
ok sure i'll check them out. thanks.
Old 01-16-14, 12:56 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

I'm not sure about 2", I don't want the lowering to have a negative effect on the performance. I might go with H&R, just gotta find some for a reasonable price. what's the difference between sway bars compared to shocks and struts?
Old 01-16-14, 01:09 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

springs and shocks will cost about same, if not more than coilovers. If you want adjustable shocks (like the Tokico HTS), that's even more steep. Nothing wrong with third party vendors, CircuitMotorsport and other vendors on the forum here have great prices for CL members.

Estimate of height you mean? That depends. If you're AWD, stay above 24.5" fender-ground both front and rear...If you're RWD, you can slam it more

I'm not sure about 2", I don't want the lowering to have a negative effect on the performance. I might go with H&R, just gotta find some for a reasonable price. what's the difference between sway bars compared to shocks and struts?
If you have a RWD, I suggest getting Swift springs. They're one of the most reputable brand for suspension parts, as well they're one of the only two manufacturers who make linear springs for the 2IS. If you have AWD, go for Road Magnet, as it's the other one of only two manufacturers to make linear springs for the 2IS. I say this because, the subtle drop of the Swift springs won't make much of a difference on the AWD, but will make quite a difference on RWD. AWD on the other hand need more drop to at least look "normal"

Speaking from experience (IS250 AWD on H&R Sport Springs with stock shocks), They're okay; but inconsistent when taking hard corners because they're progressive (as opposed to linear). Progressive springs are better for daily driving though, and the H&R has best drop overall (something like 1.4 front and rear ish).

However, I decided to give it up and get Road Magnet springs (2" drop all around) paired with F-Sport (Bilstein) shocks. Still waiting for the weather to get better before installing. Yes, I didn't go with coilovers due to reasons described here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...250-awd-2.html

Swaybars and spring/shocks are complete different things so you can't compare them. Springs/shocks are exactly what they are....springs and shocks. Swaybars are anti-roll bars, connecting left and right wheels. F-Sport swaybar set (just for example), are stiffer and thicker than stock swaybars so they add more rigidity, and when taking corners, there's less bodyroll.
Old 01-16-14, 04:29 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't want to go too low on springs like Road Magnets (which are the lowest spring) H&R are a good set and well made in Germany. Sway bars will add less body roll for the mountain roads you like to do "spirited" driving on. F Sport sway bars are the most popular and I liked them on my car also.
Old 01-16-14, 04:44 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

thanks for all the input guys, but unfortunately as of right now, I can only get either front/rear sway bars or shocks and springs. was thinking could get a combination of either front or rear sway bar and shocks and springs but expense would be an issue. I know I'd have to spend more on the sway bars (it's going to cost around 1k probably with labor it's going to be more) but I just wanted to know if I'd get more benefits from the sway bars than from the shocks and springs if I took it into the mountain. Daily driving, once in a while, I take corners hard but without a limited slip and with traction control off, there's no point, the wheels chirp and I look like a fool haha. And if shocks and springs, which brand would you guys recommend I go with? Swift or H&R? Thanks.
Old 01-16-14, 05:05 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say if you want shocks and springs then you're right in there with the Megan EZ coilover price range. If you get the coilovers (which I'd advise) you'd gain adjustability in height and dampening.
Old 01-16-14, 06:29 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I'd say if you want shocks and springs then you're right in there with the Megan EZ coilover price range. If you get the coilovers (which I'd advise) you'd gain adjustability in height and dampening.
like these? http://www.meganracingperformance.co...-p-448537.html

Quick Reply: aftermarket suspension addon? (on budget)