Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

97 sc300 front lca Figs bushing install (SMALL WRITEUP)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 10:10 AM
groundzer0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 sc300 front lca Figs bushing install (SMALL WRITEUP)

ok i wasnt going to do this but i ran into a problem installing these bushings. after contacting Figs they said they havnt ran into this issue so i decided to take some pics and post them up. as well as not being able to find much info on doing the bushings on 97+ sc's.

SC300/400 Supra / Front Lower Control Arm Rear Polyurethane Bushing Kit 46mm SC_BSH_LCAFR_SP1651K 1 $90.00 $90.00

SC300/400 Supra Front Lower Control Arm Front Polyurethane Bushing Kit 51.1mm SC_BSH_LCAFR_SP1650K 1 $90.00 $90.00

these are the bushings and part numbers on www.shopfigs.com

i didnt take any pics or anything of removing the arm or burning out the bushings (you should know how if you are installing these yourself)

i marked the alignment marks on the lca bolts so the alignment stays as close as possible to where it was before.

this is the rear bushing. it looks like you can just burn the bushing out like the others and be done with it but nnoooo... they had to make it difficult

installing these bushings you need to retain the outer sleeve of the stock bushing. burning them out was easy, i used a map gas torch from home depot. just heat them up and let them catch on fire, it does the work for you. you can also stick them in a charcoal grill which i have done with honda control arms but it might damage the balljoints on these. clean out the left over rubber inside and you end up with this

this piece is actually part of the outer sleeve. so after Figs telling me they havnt come across this problem my only option was to start cutting. the part protruding from the sleeve looks like its just crushed around the other piece inside of it so i just started cutting the bulge in half length wise.

after cutting all the way around the other piece just fell out.

now just clean up the cut on the control arm a little, lube those bushings up (use the whole pack that comes with them, it seems like overkill but its needed) and stick them in. mine went in surprisingly easy, i thought i would have to press them in but just used my hands and a dead blow hammer.

here is a pic of the front bushings installed. the shorter bushing goes towards the front of the car. also were very easy to put in.

and here is the finished product. sooooo much better than the oe lexus super soft bushings. they didnt change the ride as much as i was hoping (i want it as stiff as possible, not going for luxury here) but it is insanely better than my ripped ones. before you do anything MAKE SURE YOUR BALLJOINTS ARE GOOD!!! it would be a waste of time and money to have to replace the arm later because your balljoints are crap.

i highly suggest these bushings from Figs, they are well worth the $180 dollars. be sure to align it afterwards so you dont wear your tires out!!! sorry for the crappy pics, my phone is a pos!

Old 01-17-14, 01:39 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

awesome dude same ones i put on, but got them cheaper . Steering is out of this world with turn ins!
Old 01-21-14, 09:02 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I'm glad you posted this. I asked figs about this issue a while back because I had my doubts about the bushings fitting without cutting the sleeves. They told me they would look into it, and I never followed up.

Hopefully more people will see this post when they research bushings for 97+
Old 01-22-14, 04:05 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It is always good to bring back an old write up, especially with new and updated information for us 1997 and up owners.

You need a better camera man. Pure pathetic!!! J/K...

Thanks again for contributing to the CL website. Your SC looks good.
Old 01-25-14, 07:16 PM
groundzer0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha i know my camera sucks. Well my phone sucks, i have a nice camera but only had my phone on me at work when i did my bushings. I plan on doing more post and writeups so i may upgrade my phone haha. Plan on doing some custom work and 5 speed swap soon so i will definitely post that.