Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover Users...Height problems? (TEIN FLEX)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-03, 02:10 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover Users...Height problems? (TEIN FLEX)

I was just wondering if a problem I have had is normal or not. After having my coilovers installed, I set my Tein Flex coilovers to the factory settings, but the height of the car was different at two corners of the car. The two sides that were off were the front driverside and rear passenger side portions of the car. The rear was off quite a bit from the driver side rear, nearly 3/4"!!! The front was not as bad...about 1/4". I did compensate for this problem by adjusting only the shock tube lenght...this is sufficent and has given me no problems but I still would like to know if this is common or not? In the summer, I am planning on sending my coilovers out to have them rebuilt and so I can reinstall everything to ensure everything is fine, but the same thing will more than likely occur.

BTW...the ground was as flat as I could find!

Last edited by MikeGS4PE; 01-27-03 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-27-03, 02:59 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Mike,
It could be due to the springs settling a bit over time. I think others have posted about this as well. I actually think my car has the same problem since I installed my HA's back in September or so. A few corners look slightly lower than others, but I will worry about it in the springtime. Curious to hear what others have to say on this though...
Old 01-27-03, 03:55 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the feedback!

I am also going to wait until springtime to tackle of this AGAIN! I originally re-adjusted the coilovers when they were set to the stiffest setting. I had the alignment checked two weeks after doing so...I decided I was going to run the softest setting then. When I did this, two of the corners dropped a bit more as soon as I drove around...seemed to help out a bit, but who knows...it's still off...Anyway, I am also still curious as to what all you others have experienced....

PS...GS430 Guy...thanks again for those pics a while back!
Old 01-27-03, 05:08 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Question

Now you guys have me wondering . I better check my ride height on each wheel. Like you guys said, I'll worry about that during springtime .
Old 01-27-03, 05:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

guys, no, this is perfectly normal as far as i can tell. i have HA and i already have another guy with HA that has the same problem. my driver front is higher than pessegner front, and pessenger rear is higher than driver rear. no idea why, but that's the case.

i bet your car has full tank of gas right? when it's almost out of gas, look at the driver rear again, it should be a lot higher, but still lower than the pessenger rear.

i have come to the conclusion that this is normal. and by all means please don't adjust your coilovers to different height left and right. you should ALWAYS have the same number of coils setup left and right, otherwise, it's bad for the suspension.
Old 01-27-03, 05:46 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

rominl - Yah, exactly...I have the same exact problem...but, I want to slam the car...does this mean I have to do equal lowering on each side? Or can I just adjust the shock tube for the differences? I can adjust both the spring and shock with this set-up and have never changed the spring heights...etc etc.

BTW...normally my tank was at 1/4 full when I was adjusting the heights, but...it may have been full when looking at it another day...who knows...hehe...I just don't remember having this problem with Eibach springs...haha.

Why would one side, particularly the passenger rear, be 3/4" off? Gas alone can't do that...i'd hope? Even so, doesn't lexus have a gas tank that equalizes the weight on either side of the car so it would lower it equally with more weight?
Old 01-27-03, 09:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well i have HA so i can only adjust one but not both springs and shocks, so i don't know if technically you could do that. but on mine i definitely shouldn't, otherwise they would be under different stress and would affect the alignment as well.

i know about the slam part man, it's weird about the big difference, i have no idea why. but after a while and asking a lot of people, i figure unless you look really up close and use your finger to measure, you won't be ableto tell that easy

the gas will make a difference, but even with empty tank the driver rear would still be lower, no idea.... and yes, i can't think of a reason why the weight left and right are so different @_@
Old 01-28-03, 12:22 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
the gas will make a difference, but even with empty tank the driver rear would still be lower, no idea.... and yes, i can't think of a reason why the weight left and right are so different @_@
Me either?
Old 01-28-03, 03:12 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default ive heard about this

its the main reson i havent gone with a coilover just yet. i was thinking the "L sportline" springs, gives the car a 1.75 drop evenly. made by hr i believe? about the gas tank, it is even on both sides. its right in front of both rear wheels. they must use this tank for other models, but there are two chambers on both sides. i would think it is evenly distributed. uneven height would be a big deal to me? good luck!!
Old 01-28-03, 04:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: ive heard about this

Originally posted by elclassico
its the main reson i havent gone with a coilover just yet. i was thinking the "L sportline" springs, gives the car a 1.75 drop evenly. made by hr i believe? about the gas tank, it is even on both sides. its right in front of both rear wheels. they must use this tank for other models, but there are two chambers on both sides. i would think it is evenly distributed. uneven height would be a big deal to me? good luck!!
nop, not only coils. i know someone with springs (eibach? forgot) and had the same problems.
Old 01-28-03, 10:07 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

For the people with the Flex set-up, can we compensate by only adjusting the shock tube? Would this adversely affect the suspension?

Last edited by MikeGS4PE; 01-28-03 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-28-03, 11:27 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Yeah

Yep. I just noticed this too on my Tein Flex. I now have 7000 miles on my Flex. I originally had a 1 inch drop ( height adjustment) when I had em put on. They settled perfectly for me at 1/2 inch drop. Total 1 1/2 drop. It came to about a 2 finger gap
w/ my 19's on. Enough drop for me cus. I do alot of driving w/ my GS. touring & highways. alot of commuting in the city w/ bad roads.Long story short now my GS front is now about 1 finger gap
Rear look to be about 1 1/2 finger drop. They looked like they settled some more. When I was getting them installed the tech.
who put alot of TEIN's on other cars told me they would settle more then a half inch. more like 3/4 inch. I'm just gonna wait to see were the rears end up at. I can say that now I have a 1 3/4 inch drop. looks good tho. I may raise it back up cus. of the places were I take my GS.

Paul

Damn man. 4 months & 7 K on my car. shoot I drive too much.lol:eek:
Old 01-29-03, 03:13 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: ive heard about this

Originally posted by rominl
nop, not only coils. i know someone with springs (eibach? forgot) and had the same problems.
well with a coilover there is an explanation. i know people with the eibach and its real even, just needs to be a bit lower. maybe the person you heard about had defective springs? or bad install? i dont know, but with springs it seems more unlikely to be uneven? those tein flex should even out once they get worked in. who knows, good luck!
Old 01-29-03, 03:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: Re: ive heard about this

Originally posted by elclassico
well with a coilover there is an explanation. i know people with the eibach and its real even, just needs to be a bit lower. maybe the person you heard about had defective springs? or bad install? i dont know, but with springs it seems more unlikely to be uneven? those tein flex should even out once they get worked in. who knows, good luck!
well my alignment is ok, no rub, and the car doesn't pull anywhere. also tire wear is even, so i can live with that
Old 01-29-03, 04:58 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Thumbs up i feel that moto 100%

i got a list of " i can live with that" on my ride also. by the way, good choice keepin the foglights yellow, looks real sweet with the blue. good stuff!

Quick Reply: Coilover Users...Height problems? (TEIN FLEX)