Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowered AWD Vibration NOT from the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 07:21 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lowered AWD Vibration NOT from the steering wheel

Hey all,

So i've read many of the lowered awd vibration threads and it seems that most people are experiencing vibrations in their steering wheel while stopped with the brakes applied. I'm experiencing something different, described below.

The car is a 09 IS250 AWD lowered on Tein S-Techs. Occasionally with the brakes applied, i get a thunking sound (donk donk donk donk) from the passenger wheel well. If i shift into neutral, or start moving again, the sound goes away. The difference between this and the usual AWD vibrations is that it isn't coming from the steering wheel. Has anyone experienced something similar in their AWDs?
Old 12-04-13, 11:56 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Sounds like a clunk noise eh? Guessing it's a spring that didn't get 100% seated correctly. Re-seat the spring in the corner that you are getting the noise.

GL!
Old 12-05-13, 06:14 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^thanks for the suggestion, i'll try that. From a visual inspection the spring looks like it is in place but doesnt hurt to try.

The noise sounds as if something is knocking against the cabin. I need to get under the car once it gets warmer. Always thought it was the infamous AWD vibration but looks like it may actually be another culprit...
Old 12-06-13, 11:17 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

infamous awd vibration isn't jsut steering wheel...it's like the whole car....empty water bottles in the door cup holder rattlings like craze...
Old 12-06-13, 08:52 PM
rohanstar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same issue but since i got a tier balance it stopped but if you still have stock wheels on idk
Old 12-12-13, 09:58 PM
ChiLexus10
Rookie

Also the isf steering dampers helps the wheel not vibrate as much. Mine is almost completely gone but much better than before
Old 12-13-13, 12:24 PM
LexusIS954
Rookie

My vibration got worse once I put aftermarket wheels on. If i am acceleration quick enough then I don't feel it.
Old 04-20-20, 06:42 AM
06IS2fitty
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The awd vibration solved by accident!

So I came across this Solution honestly by Accident but after Speaking to Multiple Yota & Lexus Service Technicians as Well I have come to the CONCLUSION that This Is For Sure the Reasoning for the AWD VIBRATION! While they wouldn't 100% Agree with me they also Wouldn't DisAgree with me and said it isn't just Possible it's Plausible! So I have a 2006 Lexus is250 AWD that is Pretty Low all things Considered and Like Everyone Else I got the Vibration it wasn't just Horrible but it was Aggravating but at the Same Time to Me the 2nd Gen IS is just a Time less Body Style that when modified tactfully only Gets Better with Age! Either way I Guess I had Pretty Much gotten use to the Vibration after about 6 Months or so and I had Decided to Sand, Paint/Refinish the Factory Wheels because the Owner before Myself Obviously didn't Keep "Charla" (that's My Name for my car) between the Navigational Beacons so some Curb Rash was Evident and I didn't Really know what Color I wanted to Go with once I decided to Get Some New Wheels so I just took this time to get Some More Practice in Painting/Sanding & also to see What If Any Color that I liked more than the Other to Compliment "Charla's' STARFIRE PEARL paint job....During this Time I ordered from Amazon some New Lug Nuts and they are the "Acorn Style" because it's what Amazon Suggested I get and I didn't Really think anything more of it. On my car was the Factory Lug Nuts with the Locking Lug Nut the One's that Almost have a Washer Type Lip on the Lug Nuts that 99.9% of all 2nd Gen IS had installed on them at the Factory! Well when I got My New Lug Nuts I noticed these were not the Same in regards to how the Lug Nut Will Interact so to speak with the Rim, Hub & Wheel Stud Bolts. The More I started thinking about it though I thought to Myself these Actually will Provide a More Stable Attachment then the Factory Lug Nuts because the Factory ones go down through the Rim with the "WASHER/LIP Resting on the Rim. So after Putting them on I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE AMAZED AT NOT ONLY THE FACT THAT THE VIBRATION IS COMPLETELY GONE BUT ALSO THE OVERALL RESPONSIVENESS OF THE CAR! IT HANDLES BETTER THE SUSPENSION NOW FEELS NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENT NO MORE HARSH BUMPS EVEN GOING OVER TRAIN TRACKS NOW I FEEL NOTHING IT'S CRAZY EVEN MY GF said OMG WHAT DID YOU DO TO MAKE THAT "ANNOYING *** VIBRATION GO AWAY"? My Father is an Engineer "Civil" but Still an Engineer nonetheless and After Speaking with him and Explaining everything to Him he Says "YOU KNOW SON YOU MAY BE ON TO SOMETHING HERE YOU SHOULD CALL SOME LOCAL SERVICE DEPARTMENTS & SEE WHAT THEY THINK? Now the Reason why #1 Toyota/Lexus would not Come Across this Problem is Because they aren't Lowering the Car and then Test Driving it Et Cetera with the Factory Lug Nuts but I have Had quite a few AWD cars Throughout the Years and Literally Every Car I have EVER OWNED I HAVE LOWERED OR MODIFIED IS SOME WAY.....AWD (300ZX, 93 RX-7 AWD TWIN TURBO, ECLIPSE GS-X) ALL Of which I lowered and Never Had Any Vibration related Problems because "of the way the Drive shaft now sits" or Whatever Ppl SAY is the Reason why......However the ride height is altered changing the angle of different moving components thus changing the balance of the Car Overall and the Weight Characteristics Especially when it's Concerned with the Hub Area of the Car! Like I told the Lexus Mechanic it Wouldn't Matter how Tight someone tightens the Factory Lug Nuts because You would Snap a Wheel Stud before you were ever able to Tighten them tight enough that the Wheel didn't shift while Driving and even though there is maybe only a 1/16th of an Inch or so of Space Between the Lug Nut and the Rim and Not even I would think it would have that Much of an Effect until you REALLY START THINKING ABOUT IT. Obviously the Faster you go the More the Wheel Balances out and the Vibration begins to dissipate. Now with the car Being Lowered and the way the various Suspension, Steering & Driving Components have been Altered one would Surmise that it would Change Specifically the Different Pressure of Weight in Certain Area's of the Car thus the Reason why this has Never Been Something Noticed by Engineer's during Any Testing Phase and if they were to Lower/Alter the Suspension they Always Change the Rims out to Aftermarket Rims which in Return Comes with New Lug Nuts itself! Anyways sorry to Ramble On Forever and if Anyone wants Any Pics AND/OR FURTHER EXPLANATION or Wants to Plays Devil's Advocate or Just even Flat Out disagree with me that is fine as well I am in No Way SAYING THAT I AM SOME GENIUS THAT FIGURED THIS OUT! I STUMBLED UPON THIS BY ACCIDENT! I WILL JUST SAY FOR MYSELF I HAVEN'T EXPERIENCED ANY VIBRATION NOW IN OVER 9 MONTHS!

P.S. OWE AND I HAVE CHOSE THIS ALMOST GRAPHITE SATIN BLACK COLOR FOR NOW AND CHARLA AND MYSELF LOVE IT!

I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER OF SEVERAL DIFFERENT CAR FORUMS OVER THE YEARS AND LEXUS HAS BY FAR THE BEST OWNERS OF ANY CAR MANUFACTURER THAT I HAVE HAD THE PLEASURE OF KNOWING!

The following users liked this post:
GameHunter (05-03-20)