Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shocks for SC400

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-03, 04:32 AM
lexus_sc400_n20
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks for SC400

I am about to do a suspension upgrade to my car and dont want to mess with the camber problem, so I'm just going to put the 1" eibachs on my SC400.

The question is what would be the best combination of strut/shocks for these springs? I was looking at either the KYB GR2's, or the Tokico Gas Shock/Strut set (blue ones). Which ones would give a little better ride, and if the ride is about the same, what ones perform better?

Thanks alot
- Derek

Last edited by pcmw; 01-25-03 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-25-03, 01:48 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

lexus_sc400_n20,

Nice looking car. The KYB GR2's ride horrible. I would choose the Tokico setup.

You need to crop down your signiture picture also, it doesn't meet the requirement.

MW
Old 01-25-03, 06:17 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

I installed Tokico HP blue struts last summer, very happy with them. Improved handling over stock and still give that comfortable Lexus ride, can't beat them for the money.

DJL
Old 01-25-03, 08:16 PM
lexus_sc400_n20
Pole Position

Originally posted by djl
I installed Tokico HP blue struts last summer, very happy with them. Improved handling over stock and still give that comfortable Lexus ride, can't beat them for the money.

DJL
thanks a lot, those are the ones i was leaning towards. Did you also put the eibach springs on? what size rims do you have?

Last edited by pcmw; 01-25-03 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-25-03, 10:43 PM
seattleSC
Rookie

hey lexus_sc400, I just got done installing eibach's and tokico blues as well as replacing my lower control arm bushings with ones from daizen (Thanks PCMW, for your great write up). I have some gs 16's on right now. Handling has improved greatly, but I noticed a relatively large decrease in ride quality (it was worse than my old stock set-up which had ~158k on them). All in all I'm happy with them though Well if you have any questions about it or want to see how much mine dropped just shoot me a PM.

- Antonio
Old 01-27-03, 12:16 AM
gsshopper
Driver School Candidate

Default How about Tokicos with stock springs?

I'm also considering suspension upgrades to my SC, and like you, Derek, don't want to sacrifice my stock ride.

Antonio, any idea which of your mods might have contributed most to decreased ride quality?

Perhaps installing Tokicos with the stock springs might produce a more comfortable result? Although the inch drop afforded by the Eibachs looks great, I've always wondered whether how such a reduction in suspension travel could be achieved without ride compromises.

While we're on the subject, I'm also considering:

- Replacing factory sways (with Daizens) - should improve cornering without affecting suspension travel in a straight line (?)

- Replacing 16" wheels/tires with 17" wheel/tire combo. I'm hoping that the right tire choice might mitigate any ride penalty caused by lower profile tires.

Appreciate any comments / suggestions from those with experience!

Jim O
Old 01-27-03, 12:27 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Jim,

Great first post and question. Welcome to CL.

Adding sway bars will significantly improve handling with minor trade off to ride quality. Springs and shocks also help suspension performance but will make the car ride noticibly rougher. The eibach/stock is a nice combo and the eibach/tokico is a great performer a bit stiffer rebound.

17" tires are not bad if you get a large enough side wall. There are several tires avail with a decent quiet ride now.

MW
Old 01-27-03, 01:02 AM
gsshopper
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, MW. This board is a great resource for Lexus neophytes like me, thanks to the generosity of folks like you who are willing to share their expertise and experiences.

I've done many ClubLexus searches on the subject of aftermarket shocks / springs, and the Eibach / Tokico combination seems to be a favorite. But experiences like Antonio's give me pause - could the ride degradation be caused by replacing control arm bushings?

Re: your point about the impact of tire sidewall height, I have what might seem a strange question. I understand that the actual height of the sidewall depends on the width of the wheel on which it's mounted. For example, a 235/45 tire (according to Yokohama's website) will fit an 8" rim width, but will also fit a 9.5" rim. I assume that the sidewall would be higher when fitted on the 8" rim than when fitted on the 9.5" rim, but would also flex more. In practice, does this make any difference, or does the choice of tire brand / model dominate the outcome?

TIA,

Jim O
Old 01-27-03, 03:43 AM
seattleSC
Rookie

Jim O,

I really don't think that changing the control arm bushings would cause that must of a degradation in ride quality, but then again I am not too sure because I swapped everything at the same time. I also bought and installed the sway bar bushings. So even though there's a decrease in ride quality I'm happy overall. Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help.

- Antonio
Old 01-29-03, 11:54 PM
Loonatic
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by seattleSC
hey lexus_sc400, I just got done installing eibach's and tokico blues as well as replacing my lower control arm bushings with ones from daizen (Thanks PCMW, for your great write up). I have some gs 16's on right now. Handling has improved greatly, but I noticed a relatively large decrease in ride quality (it was worse than my old stock set-up which had ~158k on them). All in all I'm happy with them though Well if you have any questions about it or want to see how much mine dropped just shoot me a PM.

- Antonio

Antonio:

I live 1.5 hrs from TM Engineering who sells the Daizen bushings.
I have an appt. next week for the control arm bushing and sway bar bushing service, install of Tokico's and 1" Eibach's.
Since you have just performed the same upgrade, what do you think of this set up now that you have more time on it?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-03, 04:14 AM
gsshopper
Driver School Candidate

Default Tokico shocks for 99 SC?

I've narrowed my own decision on shocks, and am leaning toward the Tokicos based on comments posted here and elsewhere.

Just one question: does anyone know whether the Tokicos (HU3452 front / HU3453 rear) are appropriate for my 99 SC? The websites I've visited that carry them list these shocks for 92-97 SCs only. Are there different Tokico parts for the 98-00 SCs?

TIA,

Jim O
Old 01-31-03, 08:09 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Jim,

They will work fine.

MW
Old 01-31-03, 03:44 PM
gsshopper
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, MW. I'm ordering shocks (Tokico) and springs (Eibach) today. Once they're installed, Antonio and I can compare notes on ride quality!
Old 02-01-03, 09:48 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good choice...

I'm now riding on Supra NA Eibach and stock supra shocks, and I am bouncing everywhere. (after I blew all my KYB shocks in an accident....) I start feeling nauseous after driving on a ruff pavement for a long time.
Old 02-25-11, 09:47 PM
PrlSC400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djl

DJL
I was thinking about that setup does It lower the car a bit ??

Quick Reply: Shocks for SC400