Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation > Suspension and Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Shock Question

Old 11-24-13, 09:23 PM   #1
lexusben
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (3)

Default Shock Question

Hello guys. I haven't been on here for a while. My 98 GS 400 has hit 186,000 miles and she is starting to squeak and creak a bit over every small imperfection in the road. I have replaced most of the front suspension components in the past. However, I have not replaced the shocks.

I am looking at going for Bilstein SP's or KYB GR-2s. The cheapest price I have found on the Bilsteins is $500 while I have seen the KYBs listed for $320. Do you guys think that the Bilsteins are $180 better than the KYBs?

Also, if you have replaced the shocks did you also replace the shock mounts or any other related hardware?

Thank you in advance.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 11-29-13, 07:53 PM   #2
lexusben
Lead Lap

So I decided to go with the Bilstein shocks. However, I am not sure if I will need to replace the shock mounts. Can anyone with Bilstein shock experience chime in?

The other thing I have run into is that Lexus sells a shock mount per side (http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S400-1998.html 48603 and 48609). MOOG and other aftermarket sell a shock mount that works for both sides. Any idea why this might be?
Old 12-03-13, 07:51 AM   #3
lexusben
Lead Lap

Another update. I sent an email out to a few Lexus shops and they all recommended that I replace the front strut mounts. I went ahead and bought 2 new front strut mounts that will be installed with the Bilsteins. I asked about the rear strut mounts and I was told by one technician that they never replace those. I may buy the rear strut mounts anyways since it is only $50 for both sides. The parts are plastic/ rubber so I am sure there has been some amount of deterioration after 15 years in Ohio weather.
Old 12-05-13, 04:18 PM   #4
lexusben
Lead Lap

Another update. I now have the Bilstein Shocks, new front upper strut mounts and I some other rubber shock related parts from Sewell. So now, in addition to the shocks, I have the following:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

If anyone has installed Bilstein shocks and they know of any obstacles that I may run into please let me know. Bilstein did include some hardware with the shocks. I am not sure exactly where it goes yet.
Old 12-05-13, 04:18 PM