Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS250 AWD Rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-13, 02:36 PM
marinebob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 AWD Rear shocks

I am wondering about details of removal/replacement of the rear shocks/struts. I have developed a 'clunk' that I have traced to the drivers side shock mount area and I guess the shocks and or the mounting cushions are bad.

Car has only 16000 miles on it (2008) of easy driving so I do not know why its bad but there is a clunk that for sure is coming from the shock et al.

I found KYB gas replacements for about $100 a pop ( EBAY) which is reasonable and I do not want anything fancy for my wife's daily driver so I think thats my choice.

Question is this: How do they come off? Seems like you remove the 3 nuts in the trunk, drop the lower suspension arm , take out the big bottom bolt and then compress the spring on a bench to replace the shock. Then retrace your steps to reassemble.

Is that right?

And, is there anything else to replace? mounts or insulators while it is apart?

Anybody have experience with KYB shocks in this application?

Thanks for the input
Old 11-19-13, 02:43 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This should help with replacing shocks as it is the same process. Rear is same for AWD/RWD, front is a little different. You are correct in dropping the 3 nuts in the trunk, but there are two more that attach the strut to the body. Afterwards drop the suspension ARM and it should slide out...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...awd-is250.html

best of luck!
Old 11-19-13, 04:02 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DONT FORGET SPRING COMPRESSOR, last thing you want is the stock spring blowing out in your face

and when you change struts you have to change them out in pairs. when you change left you change right. Not required but highly recommended. When one goes chances are the others arent far off from blowing as well. I would change all 4 if you have the money though

as for KYB, i havent had them on the IS yet but I had them on my past 2 cars and they are pretty great for gas struts. Most OEM struts on cars are oil struts and often leak over time. KYB GR2's provide a firm, ride, lessens spring travel and improves ride quality and performance. IDK if they make the adjustable KYB AGX struts for our cars but you can adjust dampening on your stock suspension if you want firmer or softer ride
Old 11-19-13, 04:23 PM
DeanIS
Rookie

I just lowered the wife's car. I find that the rears are much easier then the front with AWD. Power tools will help with some back pain. GL
Old 11-19-13, 05:13 PM
marinebob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, one last question, well maybe 2.

Why did this fail after 5 years and 16000 miles ? And .. can you compress the spring on a bench? In other words, does the whole strut assembly come out as a unit, then change out the shock? Any bushings to replace while its apart. I will do both sides, and then worry about the fronts I suppose.
Old 11-19-13, 05:27 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get fsport shocks
Old 11-20-13, 12:02 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by marinebob
Thanks, one last question, well maybe 2.

Why did this fail after 5 years and 16000 miles ? And .. can you compress the spring on a bench? In other words, does the whole strut assembly come out as a unit, then change out the shock? Any bushings to replace while its apart. I will do both sides, and then worry about the fronts I suppose.
There are some shocks that are OEM that fail early. if your warranty is still valid, I would just go back to lexus and have them replace it. and YES/NO. yes the whole strut assembly comes out, disassemble it and chage the shock. Most of the bushings stay the same with the top mount. No need to buy new ones. And you can remove the spring with out a spring compressor but it is extremely hard to compress them back by hand with out a spring compressor.
Old 11-20-13, 03:18 PM
marinebob
Driver School Candidate

Warranty is expired although I am tempted to call and complain to see if that gets me anything. Sounds like the spring can be compressed without too much issue with spring compressors? I saw photos on EBAY and disassembly looks pretty straight forward after examining under the car.

I guess my next decision is to figure out what to buy as replacements and find a 'warm' December New England day. Oiyyyy... my back hurts already!

I don't know if I mentioned it but the issued was identied by a thumping in the wheel well. I put my hand on the top of the strut assembly in the trunk (under the liner) and when the car is pushed up and down, you can feel the clunk with the rocking of the car.

I got to go check again for leaking. The shock was a bit oily, not too bad but I wiped it clean inbetween the sping coils to see if there is more oil. I am not sure if the crud was just from the road or leaking. Hopefully I can check after work tomorrow to confirm a leak.

I appreciate the inputs. All are helpful
Old 11-20-13, 04:37 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, you can rent spring compressors from most auto stores so you dont have to buy one. If you have a garage it shouldnt be too bad. if you bounce on each corner of the car and the car rocks like a boat, then you can tell which ones are bad, and which ones are almost on its way out...

good luck dude. Should be an easy fix