Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stupid Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-03, 09:35 AM
Lexus_2003
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Stupid Question

What is an L-Tuned ECU? (yes I know what an ECU is ;o)
What does it do?
How much is it?
Old 01-24-03, 09:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus! I encourage you to try out the search feature ("search" at the top under the Forum tab) to find information.

Here's a link that will help you with your current question - and about many other mods that will surely follow.

Click Here

You can also check http://www.l-tuned.com for a bit more info. Short answer is... it's an upgrade to the programming for the steering on the GS that makes it more responsive. ~$130 plug in module.
Old 01-24-03, 07:37 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

[i]

You can also check http://www.l-tuned.com for a bit more info. Short answer is... it's an upgrade to the programming for the steering on the GS that makes it more responsive. ~$130 plug in module. [/B]
Can I just plug that in myself?
Old 01-24-03, 09:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Ex996

yes, almost everyone does that themselves
Old 01-24-03, 09:43 PM
LexFather

yes, almost everyone does that themselves
Just like everyone uses SEARCH.
Old 01-24-03, 11:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally posted by Ex996

Yes. Like 1sicklex mentioned, I used the search feature for the words "install l-tuned ecu" and found a bunch of threads. Here are a couple.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=ltuned+ecu

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...all+ltuned+ecu
Old 01-25-03, 01:22 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Well I just put the ECU in myself (this thread got me out in the garage instead of the couch).

My steering is artificially light to begin with (HUGE issue I have with this car that I am still trying to get the dealer to address).

I have to say the ECU makes a difference. I think. The car seems to have less play in the wheel just off center and it seems to require fewer adjustments while driving. Might just be my brain telling me that this must be doing something even though it sure does look the exact same as the part I took out.

Still, this will make it harder for me to address the steering issues with my car - if it is making a difference at all.
Old 01-27-03, 10:54 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

And I can now confirm, the ECU has made no difference whatsoever in my steering.

Old 01-27-03, 11:24 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Hey Doug,

As I recall your GS is new, as is mine. I've heard that the L-Tuned ECU isn't as effective for late model GS's, and my steering is painfully light too! Will they let you return it? Maybe a search would help on this topic- also read about the steering pretensioner adjustment- I bet that would help. I intend to have mine tightened at the next service, and if they have time I'll have them do the bolts in my neck, too.

At least your car tracks straight. If it didn't your blood would really be boiling!
Old 01-27-03, 11:56 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Yep - with the ML and NAV (that seems to be the key to getting messed up steering).

My dealer (completely worthless BTW) knows nothing about the pre-tensioner and claims the steering can not be adjusted. I'm going to try another dealer before I completely give up on Lexus service. Maybe BMW will service my car? They at least seem to know what they are doing.

As my suspension rattle is getting worse, I wonder if my sway bar is coming loose? That seems to be a reoccurring theme with the GSs as well.

And my car may track straight but boy does it like to wander..... kind of like my eyes when ladies are near by.
Old 01-28-03, 12:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

i believe since 2001 all gs430 has the ltuned ecu already?

upgrade your suspension. my steering is so tight everyone is crying now
Old 01-28-03, 12:28 AM
LexFather

I have noticed that if the steering wheel is telecoped all the way out, I feel more vibration and less feedback. When I telescope it all the way in, there is almost no vibration and the steering feedback is increased.
Old 01-28-03, 12:33 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

rominl - there was lots of discuss on this and the consensus was that the ECU does make a dif. I am in agreement however with you that it is the exact same thing I took out of my car. Also, are you saying that getting the L-Tuned suspension would make my steering tighter?

1Sicklex - I will give that a try. That would be amazing if the telescoping made a dif - will try tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 01-28-03, 12:34 AM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I have noticed that if the steering wheel is telecoped all the way out, I feel more vibration and less feedback. When I telescope it all the way in, there is almost no vibration and the steering feedback is increased.
Dude, you must have a way with the ladies!!!
Old 01-28-03, 01:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by doug_999
rominl - there was lots of discuss on this and the consensus was that the ECU does make a dif. I am in agreement however with you that it is the exact same thing I took out of my car. Also, are you saying that getting the L-Tuned suspension would make my steering tighter?

1Sicklex - I will give that a try. That would be amazing if the telescoping made a dif - will try tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Doug
yeah, lowering the car, adding strub bar and stuff will also tighten up the steering too

but the best thing ihave done is the wheels. my WIDE tires make the steering so tight now

Quick Reply: Stupid Question