Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

If you had to choose: slotted vs drilled vs dimpled rotors

Old 10-28-13, 11:36 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you had to choose: slotted vs drilled vs dimpled rotors

I live in dubai and am consolidating a shipment from the US to the UAE.

I'm finding that slotted/drilled rotors r cheaper than the lexus oem. I'd prefer blank rotors especially the oem ones as they r excellent, however I am trying to save costs:

Now if I had to choose between; slotted or drilled (or dimpled)
What would be best ( rotor life and durability)

Right now my options that I've found are:

r1 concept premiere diamond slotted rotors front and rear (incl posi quiet pads) for $463 dollars
Adams rotors front and rear for $ 350 ( question still remains, slotted drilled dimpled? I wish they offered blanks) plus I can get posiquiet pads front and rear for $83 totaling $433 (best deal)

Or Sewell oem rotors for $450 + $83 totaling ($533)

So in order to save some money gotta go w drilled or slotted or dimpled or any of those options offered by Adams rotors.

So what's better: Adams rotors vs r1 concepts
And
Slotted? Drilled? Dimpled? Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 10-28-13, 12:07 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Personally, I perfer slotted rotors for my driving style/habits/etc.
Old 10-28-13, 02:02 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Personally I won't buy drilled rotors. Dimpled and/or slotted are fine depending on the application.

If you are considering ordering from R1 Concepts and trying to save some $$ why not order blank rotors? Of the brands you list I have used R1 Concepts rotors on a different car and was happy with them. They were a good OEM replacement at a much lower cost.
Old 10-28-13, 02:05 PM
viprtwo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is:
  • Slotted or dimpled is better than drilled, because drilled may cause cracks.
  • OEM IS-F rotors and been known to crack, which seems to prove this point.
  • For most purposes a "blank" rotor is still better because you have maximum surface area for friction.
  • For basic street driving, all information above may not be very significant.
  • Blank rotors (generic) can be had for quite a bargain, most under $100 each and should perform similar to OEM Lexus.
Old 10-28-13, 02:35 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would go with either slotted or dimpled rotors from Adam's Rotors. I believe he is also a vendor for ClubLexus.
Old 10-28-13, 03:04 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want to save money, and dont care for looks then get centric blank rotors.

Slotted/drilled will also eat up your pads 25% faster
Old 10-29-13, 08:34 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

^^ This. If you can locate blank ones for the same price, use those.
Old 10-29-13, 08:21 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

like everyone already said i would also vote slotted or dimpled over drilled any day of the week. drilled is too prone to cracking over time
Old 10-30-13, 01:02 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gville350
Personally, I perfer slotted rotors for my driving style/habits/etc.
This is what i had intially wanted to go for and it seems like eveyrone is saying the same

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Personally I won't buy drilled rotors. Dimpled and/or slotted are fine depending on the application.

If you are considering ordering from R1 Concepts and trying to save some $$ why not order blank rotors? Of the brands you list I have used R1 Concepts rotors on a different car and was happy with them. They were a good OEM replacement at a much lower cost.
Centric Blanks that i found are more expensive than Adam's rotors, I also heard read some negative reviews about the centric blanks.

Originally Posted by viprtwo
My understanding is:
  • Slotted or dimpled is better than drilled, because drilled may cause cracks.
  • OEM IS-F rotors and been known to crack, which seems to prove this point.
  • For most purposes a "blank" rotor is still better because you have maximum surface area for friction.
  • For basic street driving, all information above may not be very significant.
  • Blank rotors (generic) can be had for quite a bargain, most under $100 each and should perform similar to OEM Lexus.
Im finding that Adam's Rotors cost the same or less than Blanks. There are many Blanks out there but quality is unknown; a crappy blank would be worse than a good quality slotted rotor. Thats my main concern with generic blanks. Plus with limited reviews its hard to guage really.
IMO form what ive read:
OEM > generic Blanks
OEM > Adams Slotted ( I've yet to hear otherwise)

so between Non-Oem Blanks vs Adams im not really finding any concrete info that tells me that said blanks are better. Because Adam's has a large presence on internet forums, and they are claiming great quality, i think i may have to give them a shot and find out.

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I would go with either slotted or dimpled rotors from Adam's Rotors. I believe he is also a vendor for ClubLexus.
i had the exact same thoughts, yes he is, and im already in touch with them

Originally Posted by bob4256
If you want to save money, and dont care for looks then get centric blank rotors.

Slotted/drilled will also eat up your pads 25% faster
That was my initial concern. Now i know they are selling a product, but Adam's Rotors vehemently deny this to be true. I guess there is one way to find out...

I am assuming that considering Adam's rotors having such a large presence on forums, they need to be able to back up what they are touting, and if they rotors dont live up the hype, they would have suffered some severe back lash. With that said, they're still relatively new in the game and only time will tell. But as of right now im definitely inclined to give them a shot.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Last edited by ndk83; 10-30-13 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-30-13, 03:00 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ndk83
That was my initial concern. Now i know they are selling a product, but Adam's Rotors vehemently deny this to be true. I guess there is one way to find out...

I am assuming that considering Adam's rotors having such a large presence on forums, they need to be able to back up what they are touting, and if they rotors dont live up the hype, they would have suffered some severe back lash. With that said, they're still relatively new in the game and only time will tell. But as of right now im definitely inclined to give them a shot.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
They deny what? That drilled/slotted rotors are not prone to cracking? Or that they do not eat up pads 25% faster? It's physics, you can't really make this stuff up.
Old 10-30-13, 05:43 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

They deny what? That drilled/slotted rotors are not prone to cracking? Or that they do not eat up pads 25% faster? It's physics, you can't really make this stuff up.
that they eat up the pads faster.

That was my initial concern about slotted, but tbh the "physics" hasnt been properly documented. Although the logic makes sense to me (cheese grater effect) and I've read alot of internet speculation, yet I havnt seen any hard data showing the effects of slotted rotors wearing down the pads 25% faster than blanks would. If the difference is minimal, as i suspect it is, then im ok with that.

If you have any hard data or documented evidence please share.

Also ive used Posi-Quiet pads before and they seem to last longer than the OEM high friction pads(low friction not available locally) anyway
Old 10-30-13, 06:19 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

that they eat up the pads faster.

That was my initial concern about slotted, but tbh the "physics" hasnt been properly documented. Although the logic makes sense to me (cheese grater effect) and I've read alot of internet speculation, yet I havnt seen any hard data showing the effects of slotted rotors wearing down the pads 25% faster than blanks would. If the difference is minimal, as i suspect it is, then im ok with that.

If you have any hard data or documented evidence please share.

Also ive used Posi-Quiet pads before and they seem to last longer than the OEM high friction pads(low friction not available locally) anyway
I personally waned slotted/drilled rotors for looks so I don't mind giving up less pad life for looks.

But you said you don't care for looks so I would go with blanks if I were you
Old 10-30-13, 07:03 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

I personally waned slotted/drilled rotors for looks so I don't mind giving up less pad life for looks.

But you said you don't care for looks so I would go with blanks if I were you
Fair enough,

I wanted blanks, but it seems that Adams are significantly cheaper than OEM blanks, so gonna try them out and see how they fare.
Old 10-30-13, 07:13 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Fair enough,

I wanted blanks, but it seems that Adams are significantly cheaper than OEM blanks, so gonna try them out and see how they fare.
Take a look at centric blanks as well. A lot of people on here buy those as opposed to oem blanks