Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation > Suspension and Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

New upper ball joint leaking

Old 10-10-13, 06:41 PM   #1
DND
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default New upper ball joint leaking

Well this is a bummer.. After installing brand new OEM upper ball joints two weeks ago, the drivers side ball joint is leaking a bit. Is it possible it's just a little extra grease that's leaking out? Noticed it today. Not sure if I should be worried or just leave it alone. Spent a good chunk of money to keep everything stock, now sort of regretting that.

I got the control arms off of ebay, from a legit seller (appears to be at least) about a $100 cheaper than what sewell charges for them (with the CL discount). I guess my concern is while they do say the parts come with a 1 year manufacturers warranty, would it be an issue since I installed them myself?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 10-16-13, 08:02 AM   #2
Sampak
Pole Position

The only way to find out is to wipe the excess grease off the rubber boots on the one in question, and observe after you drive around some. If it's a torn boot, then as long as you can approach someone at Lexus or the parts supplier, you should be able to exchange it under warranty, at least that's what logic tells me. I don't think you installing it should void that (unless they can prove that you damaged it and tore something during the install, I imagine).
Sampak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-13, 04:53 AM   #3
MasterKwan
Driver

Wonder if it could be Lexus arms with crappy chinese knock off balljoints? You can find balljoint replacements for most Lexus control arms but, they're not Lexus balljoints. Did you compare the old with the new balljoints? Particularly the quality of the rubber boots.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-13, 04:53 AM

Tags
ball, boot, covered, gs300, installed, joint, joints, leak, leaking, lexus, torn, upper, upper ball joint leak new, warranty