Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Problem installing new rear endlink into lower control arm

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 09:09 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem installing new rear endlink into lower control arm

I have searched far and wide tonight but have not been able to find any information or threads similar to the problem I'm having so I'm finally posting this to seek some advice or even hints on how to do this.

I had to replace the passenger rear sway bar endlink because it was worn and leaking grease, with a new one (aftermarket).

I found out that the lower mount of the endlink that goes into the lower control arm (REAR suspension, remember) is very tight on the stock one. In fact after removing the long mounting bolt from the bushing, I had to push the endlink out of the control arm by using a second jack and slowly pushing a small object UP into the hole in the control arm to push the endlink UP and out finally.

Unfortunately, after spending almost 4 hours, I was not able to press and push a new (or even the old one, really) back into the space in the lower control arm because the walls of the control arm are so tight, that there is no way to feasibly push the ENDLINK mount into the control arm to attach it. I have to drive with the rear sway bar disconnected this way since I am unable to put a new one back in. I tried C-clamps, hammering the endlink in, but the control arm is so tight and space is so confined around the endlink bushing, that it just won't go INTO it.

I'm thinking to just F it and pay a shop to put both rears in because it's not worth my time if this is how the fitment is from the factory, but I'm interested to see if anyone who has done REAR endlinks had such a clearance/tight fitment issue between the rear lower control arm where it mounts and the end link bushing/mount.

Last edited by Sampak; 10-06-13 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 03:58 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to loosen the bolt for the lower spring/shock mount, that should allow the sidewalls of the lower suspension arm to open up a bit to replace the endlink.
Old 10-07-13, 07:49 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PHML
You need to loosen the bolt for the lower spring/shock mount, that should allow the sidewalls of the lower suspension arm to open up a bit to replace the endlink.
I had a feeling that the shock mount bolts could be compressing the walls just enough to cause this, so I tried to loosen the bolt... unfortunately with the car only on jack stands, my brother and I tried to work the lower shock bolts with a long bar but could not get the nut to break loose. I'll have to take my impact gun at it and see if works, along with PB blaster. I just hope the PO did not use Loc-tite or something when he had the Megans installed. Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-07-13, 06:55 PM
haroon18
Driver

Where did you buy the rear endlinks, I can only find the fronts.