Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

A long day of repairs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 07:40 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A long day of repairs.

Today I finally got my lower control arms, motor mounts, rack n pinion/tie rods and stabilizer bar endlinks replaced. Also installed the supra TT shock/springs up front only. Ran out of time to do the rears. Honestly I can't see a drop at all. Maybe after its been driven a while I'll notice it.

Didn't take many pictures during the process but snapped a few afterwards.

Took my car to a friends house who has a nice shop with a lift.

A look with no control arms or rack. This is when we replace the motor mounts. The mounts are pretty damn easy to reach without the rack bolted on.

Both motor mounts were broken in the same place.

The bushings on the LCA's were shot.

With a small screwdriver you'd be amazed at how easy it was to move that metal sleeve around.

Now this is the sensor plate for the rack. This time last year the car received a new rack in Florida by the previous owners. Notice the color of the fluid dripping off the plate?? Might be an indication as to why this rack failed after only 17k miles.

Old 10-06-13, 07:46 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

The change in how it drives is freakin amazing. It desperately needs an alignment but I was able to drive it home 35 miles without having to fight the steering wheel to keep it on the road straight.

The only complication we ran into was a cracked power steering hose from the reservoir to the pump. When we jacked up the engine to remove the mounts it cracked an already very hard and brittle hose causing it leak like crazy when I poor ATF down into it. Replaced it with some heater hose.
Old 10-06-13, 07:51 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

And by the way. The lower control arms I bought were new 1996 Supra control arms. Bolted right up to my 97 model with no issues. So if there are still any doubts about pre 97 LCA's fitting a 97 let me just say that PRE 97 lower control arms WILL FIT your SC.
Old 10-07-13, 08:48 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

nice work man! always love to see suspension work being done!
Old 10-07-13, 05:49 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Answer300
nice work man! always love to see suspension work being done!
Thanks. I like seeing it done also a hell of a lot more than doing it!
Old 10-07-13, 07:39 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like your friend has quite a nice garage to work in....

I might have to do my LCA's on my new SC. Good stuff man.
Old 10-08-13, 05:16 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You pre-97 guys have it SO easy with these control arm bushings -_-. I need to do that type of work to my car also, but it all sounds pretty expensive.
Old 10-08-13, 07:42 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Maserati
You pre-97 guys have it SO easy with these control arm bushings -_-. I need to do that type of work to my car also, but it all sounds pretty expensive.
After changing out my control arms I really don't see why people go through the labor of just replacing the bushings. My 1996 supra LCA's cost $262 a piece from Elmhurst Toyota and it was bolt off bolt on. Direct fit on my 1997 SC400 and I have the advantage of brand new ball joints. These should last me the rest of the time I own this car. In my opinion it was the absolute best way to go so 97+ owners have options as well.
Old 10-08-13, 12:25 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Great work.. debating as well bushing vs control arm as well. $262 a piece is still a bit, it seems some are able to buy a SC400 for $250 - $300

How are the ball joints on your original control arms and how many miles on them?
Old 10-08-13, 01:27 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Before the removal they were fine and the car has about 117k miles on it. We used a pneumatic fork to break the ball joint loose which in turn busted the rubber boot around it. I already planned on hanging them in my garage one day as gear head decor haha.
Old 10-09-13, 10:19 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Originally Posted by gtsfire
After changing out my control arms I really don't see why people go through the labor of just replacing the bushings. My 1996 supra LCA's cost $262 a piece from Elmhurst Toyota and it was bolt off bolt on. Direct fit on my 1997 SC400 and I have the advantage of brand new ball joints. These should last me the rest of the time I own this car. In my opinion it was the absolute best way to go so 97+ owners have options as well.
From what i read Supra arms dont work on the 98+ i already bought bushings for around 200, along with balljoints. i should be good!

Last edited by Maserati; 10-09-13 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-09-13, 08:44 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

From what i read Supra arms dont work on the 98+ i already bought bushings for around 200, along with balljoints. i should be good!

Take a look at this. Post #23 is important as it solidified my decision to purchase pre-97 Supra LCA's for my 97.
Honestly I don't why that thread is not Stickied.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...trol-arms.html

Also, I'm pretty sure balljoints are non-serviceable and can only be replaced with a new control arm.
Old 10-09-13, 10:43 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is incorrect, the 94+ Supra arms bolt right on to the 98-00 SC. The balljoints cannot be replaced as they are permanently attached to the control arm like he said above. Good luck with the bushings too as most do not fit the 97+ arms without modification. There are maybe two vendors and the OEM replacement option for our year SCs.

Last edited by Dougspeed; 10-09-13 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 09:57 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
That is incorrect, the 94+ Supra arms bolt right on to the 98-00 SC. The balljoints cannot be replaced as they are permanently attached to the control arm like he said above. Good luck with the bushings too as most do not fit the 97+ arms without modification. There are maybe two vendors and the OEM replacement option for our year SCs.
I have the super pro bushings that have the measurements for the later years, and i found a thread where the ball joint was replaced, so thats why i bought the ball joint boot.
Old 10-10-13, 02:09 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good! on that last pic of the rack "plate" all that needs to be cleaned out and it'll work better than before. that cylinder connected to it is the EVO unit, take it out and clean it too, there are small screens that can get clogged and gum up the internals of the rack. it's reccomended to clean the rack at 80,000 miles. no one ever really does.

I've rebuilt balljoints on other cars. I dunno about the SC/Supra balljoints because I havn't taken them apart. I have a extra tie rod I could rip open but dont want to cuz it's still good. most balljoints when you remove the boot you can see the c-ring clamps and assembly that holds the ball joint, replace everything, regrease and reboot and thats it. same technology on 100's of diffent cars domistic import alike. one day I want to see just how "permenent" these balljoints are most likly more trouble than its worth so new arms it is lol

Quick Reply: A long day of repairs.