Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2nd gen Lexus gs400 brake master cylinder swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-13, 11:20 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by driver1988
The unit didn't come with that part no wonder. The parts ill need would be 47210T X2, 47210J X4,
47201D, 47201E. Is this same for all 01-05 models? Or is it specific only to the 2003 GS430 model?
Yeah the unit should have came with those unions attached. Look at my previous post.
Old 10-01-13, 09:26 AM
Delta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my BMC about a month ago when mine went out. I am in a 98 400 , and I found a BMC from a 2004 300 for 700 bucks so i went for it. I ran into exaclty the same issue as you in regards to the bolts. I decided to order some new bolts from sewell and they did not fit they were just like the old ones and the guy that sent me the BMC didn't send the bolts with it so I was frustrated as well. The absolutely weird thing was that I found the 2 exact bolts I would need on my work bench in one of my nuts and bolts drawers. I have no idea where these bolts came from , but they were not from the BMC because that is the first time I had replaced it. I have replaced my power steering resevoir with an aftermarket one and that is hydraulic related so I'm thinking maybe thats where I got them from. If not , I also replaced my rack and pinion steering and that is hydraulic related so maybe those bolts came from there too. I would suggest researching the bolts on those items in the online sewell lexus parts diagrams and see if you can pinpoint which bolt that may be.
Old 10-01-13, 11:34 AM
pwesseler
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you see what the local car parts store has as far as banjo bolts? I imagine you could rummage through their bin behind the counter and find some metric threaded / short shank bolts that would have fit a Japanese car's brake caliper.

Plan B for me would be cutting the bolt down and cleaning up the threads at the cut.
Old 10-01-13, 02:03 PM
Delta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pwesseler
Did you see what the local car parts store has as far as banjo bolts? I imagine you could rummage through their bin behind the counter and find some metric threaded / short shank bolts that would have fit a Japanese car's brake caliper.

Plan B for me would be cutting the bolt down and cleaning up the threads at the cut.
i thought about that too , but the end of the bolt is concave so you would have to shape it on a grinder for a perfect fit which would be a challenge.

I also tried using the other bolts with washers which it took about 3 of them to push the hydraulic line all the way to the tip where the hole is in the bolt . . . but this ended up being a disaster because there never was a complete hydraulic seal and ended up spraying out at the weakest point .. where the washers were lol .

Last edited by Delta; 10-01-13 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-01-13, 05:11 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

I grew up with diesel car and the fuel system uses lots of banjo bolts. So if you know of diesel shop visit them.

You can also have a collar or two made [the transverse hole in the bolt needs to be in the middle of the side pipe. And crush washer between each member would solve it.

Salim
Old 10-03-13, 07:07 PM
driver1988
Driver

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Well, i ended up returning the BMC and bought a different one instead. This one comes with unions still attached. The car brakes fine now, but then a new problem arises. The brake is very squeaky now. It's squeaky even if not braking. Squeaking is more pronounced when braking. I wonder how or why it is like this now, that the new BMC is installed. Hhmmmm
Old 11-11-13, 12:16 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by driver1988
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Well, i ended up returning the BMC and bought a different one instead. This one comes with unions still attached. The car brakes fine now, but then a new problem arises. The brake is very squeaky now. It's squeaky even if not braking. Squeaking is more pronounced when braking. I wonder how or why it is like this now, that the new BMC is installed. Hhmmmm
that is weird... what kind of noise?

Also, how did you bleed the master cylinder (assuming you didn't go to the dealer to bleed the master cylinder)?
Old 11-18-13, 09:57 AM
bonestock5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ****-adkt
this is how you should have received it and/or removed it from the car, as the bolts are part of the Master assembly. You DO NOT touch/disturb these

Is there a certain year in the 98-05 where the brake lines screwed directly into the MBC without using the banjo bolts and unions?

I've found a few of these in my search for a replacement MBC. Looks like the same one OP got.

Last edited by bonestock5; 11-18-13 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-09-15, 03:37 PM
tedsterb
Driver

Default Brake master cylinder q

How hard is it to replace the master cylinder on the 98 GS300? Is it a pain? Do I need a scan tool? I had a shop bleed my system and they said they had to use a scan tool for specific directions... Lexus always has to make it harder...

Thanks.
Old 01-11-15, 12:27 AM
tedsterb
Driver

Anyone? Any help? The
Old 01-11-15, 03:40 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On bleeding - our cars have an integrated ABS / master cylinder and you need a special tool to fully brake the lines and the master cylinder itself. refer to this post in this thread

on replacing - mechanically, it's not that hard, especially if you're replacing 98-00 to another 98-00 unit. I recommend you might as well replace with an 01-05 unit.

I'm also going to move and maybe merge this thread to keep all information related to these brake boosters in one thread and not have bits and pieces scattered everywhere.

Last edited by kit cat; 01-11-15 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-11-15, 08:23 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that would be good. a lot of forums just mash the threads together and it becomes a mess to read through. would you mind deleting the replies that dont help out in this?
Old 08-14-15, 02:54 PM
Glengs300
Driver School Candidate

Could some one point me in the direction to where I can get union bolts for my brake booster I purchased from Japan. Or where I can get banjo bolts the size I need. I need he'll please.