Club Lexus Forums

Club Lexus Forums (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Suspension and Brakes (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes-250/)
-   -   RS*R Down Lowering Springs vs Super Down (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/710783-rs-r-down-lowering-springs-vs-super-down.html)

IntegresS 09-24-13 02:04 PM

RS*R Down Lowering Springs vs Super Down
 
I wanted to make this thread to focus just on the suspension of the car, with my wheel setup and what works/ what doesn't work.

The wheel and tire specs on my car are:

19x8.5 +34, 235/35
19x9.5 +32, 265/30

Here is the car dropped on the RS*R Super Down springs

http://imageshack.us/a/img7/5343/qcj6.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/7949/tju9.jpg

And here is the car on the RS*R Down springs

http://flipside909.smugmug.com/photo...-HBW76ff-L.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img19/7338/a1qm.jpg

As you can see, the Super Down springs pretty much get rid of the entire wheel gap, and look AWESOME!!! :D

Unfortunately, due to the aggressive setup I have in the rear, and the way the fender curves inward, I couldn't drive the vehicle with that setup. The sidewalls of my rear tires would be chewed up in no time, as well as the wheel well. I could have tried some extensive fender & rear bumper rolling, but still may have rubbed over dips and bumps.

With the Down springs, there is still some minor gap:

http://imageshack.us/a/img138/4688/8tqr.jpg

However, any lower and I'd probably start scraping on my own driveway, especially when I have a front lip installed:

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/2530/1g9c.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img405/7616/tgmc.jpg

As for ride quality- the car rides great! It feels slightly stiffer than the OEM suspension, but not so stiff that the ride becomes uncomfortable. In addition, it feels much better handling around corners and turns-- not so floaty as the OEM feel. :D

I can't perform what I hear is known as the "Girlfriend test" but I'm sure that if I could, the car with this suspension would pass with flying colors!

There are also no rubbing issues with front or rear wheels on this setup, and I've tested it at 120 km/h, or about 75 mph, on the 5 freeway out here in So Cal (Which, for those of you who are local know, is uneven and bumpy as hell!), and there was no rubbing going over the uneven portions of the freeway at that speed.

As for Speed bumps, I've also tested this out in a parking lot and in order for the rear wheels to rub, I need to go about 15-17 km/h, or approx 10 mph, over a good sized speed bump for the rears to rub. Now, of course, I won't go that fast over one ever again, and once there is a lip on the car, I definitely won't be going that fast haha. But I was just trying to find the threshold for rubbing.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with the outcome. I do love the slammed look, but I also like the setup of the rear wheels, so...well, I can't have my cake and eat it too :p

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...48544593_n.jpg

For those who want to comment on how ugly my wheels are, please do so in my build thread here:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-t...50-fsport.html
Let's keep this thread focused on the suspension. Thank you kindly :D

John510 09-24-13 02:45 PM

Would the super downs rub on the stock rear wheels you think or would the stock rear wheels tuck into the quarter panel?

reyoasian 09-24-13 05:25 PM

So use the super in front and r in back

IS350S2K 09-24-13 05:33 PM

Love the look with the Super Downs but don't want to scape. I can live with a 1 finger gap with the Downs.

amoney805 09-24-13 06:07 PM

I actually prefer the more moderate drop. I have eibach pro-kits on my 2is and was pleased with the drop while still maintaining a comfortable ride. I'm looking forward to the release of the Down springs.

baddis es 09-25-13 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John510 (Post 8155271)
Would the super downs rub on the stock rear wheels you think or would the stock rear wheels tuck into the quarter panel?

if the factory height isn't rubbing, then lowering the vehicle on springs with the same factory settings should not cause you to rub at all

if you correct your alignment while lowered, there can be rubbing but I'd highly doubt it on stock wheels/tires unless you're slammed or on spacers

baddis es 09-25-13 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntegresS (Post 8155193)
I
Unfortunately, due to the aggressive setup I have in the rear, and the way the fender curves inward, I couldn't drive the vehicle with that setup. The sidewalls of my rear tires would be chewed up in no time, as well as the wheel well. I could have tried some extensive fender & rear bumper rolling, but still may have rubbed over dips and bumps.

Let's keep this thread focused on the suspension. Thank you kindly :D [/I]

I prefer the stance of the more aggressive setup...I would have looked into shaving the rear fenders to help allerviate the rubbing issue you were having.

RastaRacer 09-25-13 08:21 AM

Looks great and I bet those RSR springs ride great. Nice and clean drop :thumbup:

juvi22003 09-25-13 01:56 PM

I agree with reyoasian use super in the front or run smaller tires.
215 or 225 on the front and 235 on the rear. Im currently running 225 on my 9 and 235 on my 10.

LexFather 09-26-13 08:48 AM

Great write-up and nice pics. RS-R was super excited that you could make some time. Thanks!!!

amoney805 09-26-13 12:40 PM

What are the exact specs for the drop on the down springs?

John510 09-26-13 09:44 PM

How much are the springs?

IntegresS 09-29-13 10:47 PM

So sorry for my super delayed response!!! >_<

Quote:

Originally Posted by John510 (Post 8155271)
Would the super downs rub on the stock rear wheels you think or would the stock rear wheels tuck into the quarter panel?

I think the super downs would be just fine with the stocks and there would be no rubbing. My tires are beefy in the back and that's probably the biggest issue :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by reyoasian (Post 8155528)
So use the super in front and r in back

Haha I didn't think that was an option, for my purposes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IS350S2K (Post 8155537)
Love the look with the Super Downs but don't want to scape. I can live with a 1 finger gap with the Downs.

I hear you on that! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoney805 (Post 8155578)
I actually prefer the more moderate drop. I have eibach pro-kits on my 2is and was pleased with the drop while still maintaining a comfortable ride. I'm looking forward to the release of the Down springs.

Yes sir! I also had the Pro Kits on my previous 2IS and it was a good enough drop for me as well, especially as a daily driver back then!

Quote:

Originally Posted by baddis es (Post 8156365)
I prefer the stance of the more aggressive setup...I would have looked into shaving the rear fenders to help allerviate the rubbing issue you were having.

:( I didn't want to risk it. I'll be more adventurous later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RastaRacer (Post 8156395)
Looks great and I bet those RSR springs ride great. Nice and clean drop :thumbup:

Thank you :) They ride pretty nice, if I do say so myself! Took it out again this weekend and even ventured on some unexpected twisty roads and it felt great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by juvi22003 (Post 8157020)
I agree with reyoasian use super in the front or run smaller tires.
215 or 225 on the front and 235 on the rear. Im currently running 225 on my 9 and 235 on my 10.

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting smaller tires, but a little later on. I kind of want to see how it is with a lip before I consider dropping more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueprint (Post 8158341)
Great write-up and nice pics. RS-R was super excited that you could make some time. Thanks!!!

Thank you :) I was happy to do so! :thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoney805 (Post 8158782)
What are the exact specs for the drop on the down springs?

If I took proper notes on my phone when I was getting the springs installed, then the drop is 28mm in front and 14mm in the rear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John510 (Post 8159743)
How much are the springs?

TBD -- but check out the website for updates: http://rs-r.com/lowering-springs/

RastaRacer 10-12-13 08:37 AM

Team RSR killing the 3IS suspension game right now :thumbup::thumbup:

Adam350is 10-14-13 02:50 AM

Super downs. Is. Legit. Dont be a ***** jen. Its a lease. :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:02 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved