Sooooo...I took my car in to the Toyota dealer just earlier to get the alignment checked after getting the front right upper control arm replaced last night. Now I knew there was some clunking that randomly happened over road markers and small bumps, but I wasn't able to locate the noise maker at the rear end yet, so I was hoping they might find something during the process. Instead I came out with a 2 page laundry list of things that need fixing. Yay me. I seem to always pick the "gems."
The alignment could NOT be done because:
1. rear lower control arms need replacement (no idea what, I'm assuming bushings etc.)
2. rear sway bar -- one nut is missing on an endlink causing it to bounce around and enlarge the mounting hole in sway bar so I need a new rear sway bar and end links.
3. rear tie rods are OK but have blown seals so will need replacement 'soon.'
4. Front swaybar endlinks need replacing as they're loose/worn.
5. Oil leakage seen in front of engine -- needs new valve cover gasket, cam seals.
6. A/C compressor might or might not be leaking any more but dye is all around it apparently.
Goddamn, it seems like every time I get a car to a dealer (ok, only my second time with a used purchase) I get a good dosage of "you got fked."
I'm hoping to do most of the suspension minus the complete sway bar replacement myself but I'm not so sure how far I can go trying to do the valve cover gasket.
After all that I still have the timing belt service with $1200 written on it waiting around the corner which was the only big thing I was actually expecting to throw money at.
Life lessons and all that.