Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brakes 101 - Class is in session!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 07:54 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xshurikx
thanks for the info my left front is also sticking on my 93 300, a slight pull to the right under heavy braking. i had the mechanic bleed the brakes and all 3 had fluid come out right away but that front left didnt. had to pump brake to get it going, it went but still pulls right. he even said the fluid is dark. can i just open up the lines and let all the fluid run out and just put new fluid in, any recomendation of something i can do to get all the old fluid out. i know i need new pads in about 3k miles. just trying to do regular maintenance that wont break the bank so i can get good pads later.
My guess is that you have a hose problem. Replace both front hoses and bleed the system again, it should solve your issue...
Old 10-01-13, 08:00 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SportC400
Thanks for all the info. My brakes have to much play in the pedal and are kind of weak. So far I have just flushed the fluid started with the wheel farthest from the master cyclinder to the closest. The car has 115k and the fluid was pretty dark like coffee : sad: I'm hoping the cylinder isn't toast.
It sounds like you have the same issues I had so be prepared to spend some time and money on them! I doubt your master cylinder is bad so start at the bottom and work your way up!

Originally Posted by SportC400
Also I was going to add a lot of people seem to be switching the ls400 calipers and rotors would you recommend this? What is a good set of pad and rotors that aren't the cheapest in the world but won't 'brake' the bank?
The LS400 caliper swap is a great upgrade, providing you have enough wheel clearance for them, and the master cylinder has enough volume in it to feed the calipers without issue.
Old 10-01-13, 08:10 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
how much grease should you put on the slide pins?
My method is packing the cleaned bracket holes with a lot of lube then taking one of the pins (unattached to the caliper) and pushing it all the way in. Wipe away the excess that will come out and you have maximum lubrication. Take a little lube on your finger tip and wipe a very light coat inside the boots. On the pins that have the bushings reapply a little grease to the area between the shank and the bushing before final installation. When it's finally assembled you should have no grease outside of the boots.
On the hardware where the pad slides you want a small amount of lubricant on the surfaces where the pad ears go in. Be light, but coat them thoroughly and put a little on the pad ears too.

And, of course... Keep the lube off the pad and rotor!
Old 10-01-13, 08:12 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
my brakes are sticking a little bit, and they are showing signs of uneven wear, this is after replacing all rotors and brake pads, what do u think is the cause of this?

perhaps they need to be rebuilt? if so do u know where I can buy the parts to rebuild them?

Thanks
If you are running the wheels in that picture you most definitely need to rebuild your calipers! Those wheels add soooo much rotating mass your emergency braking distance is probably twice what it was from the factory!
The components to rebuild our calipers can be found at RockAuto.com, my go-to place for parts.

Last edited by Murco; 10-02-13 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-02-13, 07:52 AM
Murco
Pole Position

I've updated the first post on this thread with more rotor information...
Old 10-06-13, 11:22 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Murco
My guess is that you have a hose problem. Replace both front hoses and bleed the system again, it should solve your issue...
thanks for the info. do you know where i can get a decent hose. I already ordered 4 rotors and a set of pads from R1Concepts with the Posi-Quite Extended wear pads (by the way your opinion on those)

I also ordered a caliper to be ready just in case. I am hoping maybe the caliper is dirty and after cleaning it we can get it working but hoses are something i will need to do anyway after i bleed the entire system. maybe that is also causing the abs and trac not to work? hmm
Old 10-07-13, 09:06 AM
Murco
Pole Position

I'm not familiar with the R1 posi-quiet pads but I believe Wagner has pads with that same name. Anything "extended wear" when it comes to pads or tires means harder compounds. In brakes that may mean minimal initial bite and longer stopping distances. Just like tires that are harder compound that give up a lot of traction for the extended life....
Old 10-07-13, 11:34 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by Murco
I'm not familiar with the R1 posi-quiet pads but I believe Wagner has pads with that same name. Anything "extended wear" when it comes to pads or tires means harder compounds. In brakes that may mean minimal initial bite and longer stopping distances. Just like tires that are harder compound that give up a lot of traction for the extended life....
according to their sales/customer service guy, he told me the extended wear are better than the fully ceramic only in the sense that they are a little cheaper and last longer. He also said that the pads are much better than OEM. They dont work on commission and supposedly he does "amature track days" on the weekends so maybe he actually has some knowledge. I did hear good things about the R1's in other forums with those brakes. if i dont like them i will send them back and get full ceramic.
Old 10-07-13, 11:40 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi OP, how do you tell if the rear rotors are out of true / warped?
I had this rumbling feel at above 60 mph when I tapped the brakes.
After replacing the front rotors it was a bit better, but not completely gone.
The steering wheel does not feel any of it so I am thinking maybe the rears need to be replaced as well?
Old 10-14-13, 10:59 AM
Murco
Pole Position

"Rumbling" may be caused by hardware that no longer cushions the pads on the bracket, transmitting some low frequency vibrations. I'd also look at the caliper hardware, that will cause such a noise as well. As for your rear rotors, I doubt they are warped as they are pretty hardy pieces.
Old 10-14-13, 02:18 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

This is great info op, everyone should check the pad wear and rotors for cracks every 6 months, and do a brake system flush yearly if you can't 2 is good. That's how my mc was after a month of flush
Attached Thumbnails Brakes 101 - Class is in session!-image-493578111.jpg  
Old 10-14-13, 06:24 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wandered if Murco would respond to my question on the first page? Thanks
Old 10-14-13, 08:48 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

im looking to upgrade my brakes but i dont think i have clearance for ls calipers, will supras fit?
Old 10-14-13, 09:03 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

LS400 and Supra calipers have pretty much the same clearance. You need at least a 17" wheel. I don't know the offset offhand.
Old 10-14-13, 09:15 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
LS400 and Supra calipers have pretty much the same clearance. You need at least a 17" wheel. I don't know the offset offhand.
which is better? i have 18.8.5 +40

Quick Reply: Brakes 101 - Class is in session!