Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ride harshness comparison between Tein Flex coilover vs. H&R Sport Sprint Set with KY

Old 08-30-13, 11:10 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 193 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Ride harshness comparison between Tein Flex coilover vs. H&R Sport Sprint Set with KY

Ride harshness comparison between Tein Flex coilover vs. H&R Sport Sprint Set with KYB GR-2/Excel-G

I have had the Tein Flex coilover setup (on the "softest" setting) on my GS since 2005 and am now getting tired of the noise (you can hear and feel every single imperfection in the road).

Bottom line is that I need a suspension that is
  • Lower than OEM ride height
  • Handles better than OEM suspension
  • Is not harsh and loud like the TEIN FLEX
  • I will never take the car to a track, but I occasionally like to drive fast around bends, so handling is still important to me
  • Not interested in another coilover setup as that is cost prohibitive at this point.

Right now my car sounds like its broken because of the noise that the TEIN FLEX causes because all noise gets transmitted into the cabin as the pillow top of the coilover is not rubber, but is metal. Its been like that since Day 1 and I bought it brand new and I've been happy with it.

Fast forward to 2013, I am now 8 years older than and now its just a pain in the ****.

Maybe the suspension needs to be rebuilt. I don't know and I don't care. I just want to get rid of it and get something that is quiet and not "teeth filling rattling" hard.

My car's mileage is roughly 83K miles and the car is still in amazing condition. If I am driving on very smooth road, most people think the car is fairly new. However as soon as there are some imperfections in the road, my car sounds cheap, broken and rides as if it has no suspension.

I plan to keep my existing non-OEM wheels/tire setup - 18 inch HRE's with 245/40 front and 275/35 mm rear.

Suggestions, recommendations?
Old 11-14-13, 05:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 193 Likes on 107 Posts

Anybody?
Old 11-14-13, 05:22 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

This is a surprising post given that some five or six years ago it was your modding posts that influenced my decision to upgrade my stock suspension. I would have thought you would know already what a good setup for daily driving is. I have L-tuned springs KYB shocks with TRD sways and it is a good combination of lexus smoothness with pretty good handling. I did have Bilstein Sport with L-sportline springs but I found that to be just a bit harsher so I switched to the KYB's. I plan on trying the KYB's with the L-sportlines next spring. The L-sportline sit about a half inch taller than the l-tuned which is better for me since I drive in the winter also.
Old 11-16-13, 08:44 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Nf or DF springs... DF are lower with KYB's or possibly Tokico shocks/struts.... It maybe trial and error but there are many coil overs that are quieter and perform much better than the Tein Flex.. The Flex are known to be more Harsh.... Megan or BC i would consider...