Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Used KYB GR-2's.. worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-13, 09:26 PM
Lexusexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used KYB GR-2's.. worth it?

So one of the issues with my SC is that the rear suspension I believe is shot. I don't know the specifics as I've only driven the car once since owning it for a month... That and I don't have the lug nut key to take the wheels off and look deeper. I looked under the car and the best I can say is that it has silver/grayish shocks with purple springs...

Anyways, I've been trying to get a set of KYBs locally for quite a while. Tried offering $100 and the seller turned it down. Asked if he'd meet in the middle at $125 and he was extremely rude to me and said $150 was the lowest he'd take. That's fine but no need to be a **** ya know..

What do you guys think? Claims they were used for only 6,000 miles before a fully adjustable set was put on. $150 a pretty decent price even though they are used? The fronts might be good but I'd obviously just replace them all.

Also if I buy these, should I keep the springs I have or get new ones? The car does sit extremely low with 18" XXRs. I wouldn't mind a little more clearance so if I have to buy new springs, no big deal. Even if I buy these and new springs it's still much cheaper than coilovers and I don't really care about adjusting anyways. Just want something that's functional.
Old 08-14-13, 09:39 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i would not get kyb gr2 on lowering spring they arent stiff enough only get them if you plan on putting on stock springs
Old 08-15-13, 08:40 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have these with some tanabe lowering springs and they ride pretty good. not too aggressive but doesn't look like a 4x4 anymore.
Old 08-15-13, 09:19 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price of tokico hp blues has gone up, kyb's still pretty affordable new though.
Old 08-15-13, 02:34 PM
Lexusexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I have these with some tanabe lowering springs and they ride pretty good. not too aggressive but doesn't look like a 4x4 anymore.
Hmmm... any chance I could perhaps take a ride in your car before I commit to buying these? I would love to see your NA-T setup anyways and perhaps bounce some questions off ya.
Old 08-15-13, 10:28 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexusexus
Hmmm... any chance I could perhaps take a ride in your car before I commit to buying these? I would love to see your NA-T setup anyways and perhaps bounce some questions off ya.

just a heads up if you dont have tanabes riding in his car wont determine how your car will ride
Old 08-16-13, 11:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusexus
yeah but my rear is also shot right now so I am not sure how much that is going to help. you cannot go wrong with the gr-2's shocks if you are looking for something close to OEM but a touch sportier. anything less will be exactly like OEM, and it you are looking for something that is very sporty then you should just get a set of basic coil overs like tien intro model and not mess with the spring shock combo, and bonus is you get precise height adjustment.

If you just want your stuff to work right again with a little tighter feel, the kyb are good replacements, and if you want a little drop do springs at the same time the tanabe will get rid of the gap and not be too stiff, I want my ride to be comfortable so it works for me. If you want the max drop you can even get shocks and springs from the supra, or get espilars for the SC those have more drop then the others.
Old 08-16-13, 08:01 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$150 is a great deal if you're on a budget. And as far as being stiff, I'm sure these will be x10 times better than riding on shocks that are shot. Lets be real, you'll probably own this car for a few years. so these will be just fine until you get rid of it.
Old 08-23-13, 06:51 PM
MajorSloMo
Rookie

Not to thread jack but I'm glad I'm seeing some positives about the KYB GR-2s. I bought a full set from RockAuto.com for a pretty penny with left over money from when I purchased my SC300 a month ago, looking for a little bit better than OEM replacements. Now I'm searching for springs for a slight drop. Rockauto.com tends to have some really good pricing but if you're on a budget, it won't help you buying these shocks new.
Old 08-24-13, 02:09 AM
Lexusexus
Rookie

I got word today that I'll get about $700 from insurance for my Hatch that barely got rear-ended, and if I can sell my hatch for around $15-1800 then I've got a budget of over $2k for the car..

So part of me wants to pick these up right away but another part of me is just like "eff it, coilovers". I am on a budget and honestly I'd rather see the money go towards NA-T or a swap. But if I have to buy springs anyways for the KYBs it might just be worth it to go the extra mile.

Idk I need to get the car fixed up more first. I bought it July 16th and the only time I've driven it was the drive home...
Old 08-24-13, 08:08 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're going to start putting money into and you've only driven it once, I'd make sure it's mechanically sound and up to date on its maintenance first. Make it reliable first then make it look good. I like KYBs. That's a good deal also.
Old 08-24-13, 12:56 PM
Lexusexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by gtsfire
If you're going to start putting money into and you've only driven it once, I'd make sure it's mechanically sound and up to date on its maintenance first. Make it reliable first then make it look good. I like KYBs. That's a good deal also.
Yeah man.. just said that.

"Idk I need to get the car fixed up more first."

Main reason I haven't been driving it is because of the power steering. Believe me I was definitely planning on compression/leakdown testing the motor before sinking any money into it. That will determine if I swap or NA-T in the end.
Old 08-25-13, 01:55 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

i cant agree...i say put money into it if you get great deals no matter if the car is sound or not IMO the better you make your car look the more interested you will be in doing maintenance i say give yourself motivation...people keep saying thats a good deal on those gr2s i told you once and i will tell you one last time if your not planning on putting on stock springs you will be wasting your money with these shocks.

power steering is simple...change the rack replace the hoses from reservoir to pump and low pressure hose to reservoir ..shouldn't be more than 180..if your pump is bad rebuild it save yourself 100 + dollars good luck homie
Old 08-25-13, 09:05 AM
MajorSloMo
Rookie

I agree with both gtsfire and SexCoupe. They've given you some pretty sound advice. For me, with my car, I already love so that's motivation enough for me to get everything done. I sort of lucked into my car, but I also lucked into all the problems with it. I also got mine around the same time as you. Mine is a leak machine, but everything on my car was stock since 1992. Nothing had ever been changed on the car ever. so far I've spent $2k in just maintenance, timing belt, water pump, hydraulic tensioner, radiator, radiator hoses (went with silicone), light bulbs, KYB shocks, oil, oil filter, valve cover gaskets, Y pipe gaskets, egr gaskets, distributor gasket, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and I'm still not done making it mechanically sound. I personally would do what both of these guys have said, and the reward will be your finished vision.
Old 08-27-13, 02:10 PM
Lexusexus
Rookie

Still on the fence about them. I wouldn't mind the car sitting a little higher but I definitely want a drop still. I think with Ali having tanabes on his and having his rears blown kind of tells me that aftermarket springs will eventually take a toll on these shocks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-97-Toyota-Supra-SUSTEC-Damper-Tanabe-TEA80R-LI20-TEA80-LI14-JDM-Coil-Overs-/390598955160?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af1831098&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-TOYOTA-SUPRA-BILSTEIN-STRUTS-WITH-EIBACH-SPRINGS-SUSPENSION-COILOVERS-JZA80-/161094834616?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASupra&hash=item25820019b8&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-YAMAHA-Supra-MK4-K6A-01-405-Coil-Overs-JDM-Supra-Coil-Overs-Shocks-/390623113331?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af2f3b073&vxp=mtr
Has anybody ever purchased used JDM coilovers with good luck before? When I'm looking brand new all I see that is affordable is CX Racing and Megan, which I've read not so great things about both.

God it would just suck to get a set of those JDM ones and have one be blown or worn out more than the others..

Quick Reply: Used KYB GR-2's.. worth it?