Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

EBC Pads and Rotors

Old 08-12-13, 05:48 PM
JHD333
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC Pads and Rotors

I just installed EBC RedStuff pads and Ultimax slotted rotors, and I thought I should share.

Here is a before shot.

And we begin. Step 1 is obviously to take the tire off.

Here is a good shot of the back. You can see the caliper bolts and the bracket bolts. removing the caliper on the 250 is pretty easy, just make sure you take the bracket off after the caliper.

Here you can see the caliper off and the bracket still on the rotor.

The old rotors were a massive pain to get off! Under normal circumstances some WD40 and an 8MM bolt is all you need. Just get some WD40 in the cracks and let it sit for about 20 to 30 minutes, then screw in the bolt into one of the two small threaded holes on the face of the rotor (I am assuming that the dealership has some special tool for this, but the bolt worked for me on my drivers side). The passenger side was not so easy. I had to use a puller tool to get that off (Ill have to post a picture later, didn't grab a shot).

The rest was pretty easy. Put the new rotor on, lubricated the clips and slides on the bracket (The EBC pads came with the brake grease), then attached the bracket and insert the pads. Don't forget to compress the piston before putting the caliper back.

Done

The break in period for the brakes is about 1000 miles according to EBC, so I look forward to posting a review in a few weeks!

***** Just FYI. I am not a mechanic. Just a DIY guy who thought it would be cool to share some steps and photos. I also had a hard time finding any info on how to properly remove the old rotor so I will definitely be posting a picture of the tool is used in case anyone ran into the same issues I did. Corrections or criticisms are welcome, as I said I am not a mechanic.

Last edited by JHD333; 08-12-13 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-12-13, 06:17 PM
docambriz
Driver School Candidate

I'm at 1300 and still have noise about to open and check just going to give it to 1500 miles but love the look.
Old 08-12-13, 06:19 PM
JHD333
Driver School Candidate

Are you getting a squeak?
Old 08-12-13, 06:21 PM
docambriz
Driver School Candidate

No more of at grind like pushing the brakes
Old 08-13-13, 05:34 AM
JHD333
Driver School Candidate

Hmm, you may want to check to make sure you have enough grease on the bracket slides (The rods that allow the caliper to move side to side). I would also check for cracks and uneven wear.
Old 08-25-13, 01:26 AM
docambriz
Driver School Candidate

Checked and regressed everything this is the only thing I seen
Attached Thumbnails EBC Pads and Rotors-image-1352913151.jpg  
Old 08-26-13, 09:40 AM
jmb2027
Driver School Candidate

looks good....what about the yellow and greens?
Old 08-27-13, 07:37 AM
JHD333
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by docambriz
Checked and regressed everything this is the only thing I seen
Hmm, you may want to have a pro look at it if your still having problems.
Old 08-27-13, 07:44 AM
JHD333
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmb2027
looks good....what about the yellow and greens?
This is my first time using EBC brakes, so my only experience is with the red.
Old 08-27-13, 07:51 AM
JHD333
Driver School Candidate

Just FYI, I am now just outside of the break in period (around 1000 miles for the rotors according to EBC). I have done a few hard stops and so far the bite is very good and seems better than stock. I installed these in an attempt to combat brake fade. I was honestly not expecting any more bite than stock so I am pretty happy with the results. (I will note that the my stock rotors were getting old and had a small lip, plus my pads were low, so this may account for the extra bite on the new brakes.

I hope to be taking the car to an autocross meet soon, so I will be posting an update on whether I achieved fade reduction.
Old 09-30-13, 06:20 AM
JHD333
Driver School Candidate

Update:

I was finally able to track the car (The track was a high difficulty handling course with a number of uneven multiple apex turns and off camber turns. It is typically used for offensive and evasive driving training). In my opinion the EBC brakes performed well. I had good bite, and considering how hard I was on them due to the course, I would say they were pretty decent on fade. But unfortunately in the first heat (each heat was a series of time trails) I did cook them, resulting in me missing a lap to allow them to cool down. I believe this to be the size of the breaks compared to the weight of the car, and not any fault of the EBC brakes. I also, should have replaced at least the pads on the back before tracking, however time did not permit. I am still very happy with the EBC brakes and I don’t think I could have asked for much more without doing a 350 conversion installing a big break kit.
Old 09-30-13, 08:31 AM
mrAkana
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up! What was the determining factor that made you choose EBC as opposed to other vendors (price, quality, review)? I'm looking to do the same DIY mod with my 250 going with Stoptech cyro-sportTech slotted paired with Akebono brake pads. I'm going to autox for fall and into winter season. Also do you prefer all seasons (see that you're on Goodyears) or a dry-wet tire?
Old 09-30-13, 12:20 PM
Gville350

Received 426 Likes on 382 Posts

^I wonder if the EBC Yellows would have helped you out there. I have a set ready to install once my StopTech Streets are nearing end of life.
Old 10-01-13, 08:52 PM
RangerJoe
Driver

I have a new set of yellow stuff's on my 350 and the centric high carbon rotors. Track weekend in a week and a half, so we'll see how it works soon.
Old 10-02-13, 12:05 PM
Gville350

Received 426 Likes on 382 Posts

^Sweet! Report back on your findings!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...sers-here.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EBC Pads and Rotors