Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowering springs question....

Old 07-29-13, 09:03 PM
LandonGs03
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering springs question....

Alright so I really want to drop the gs. But I'm a broke college kid and spending a grand on coil overs just isn't going to happen anytime soon. Everyone i've talked to says for the most part to just hold out for the coil overs because lowering springs are horrible for your car, but my car is not getting any younger and 300 dollars for springs is much more doable. My question is this, will putting springs instead of coil overs really just rip up my suspension like everyone else says? There seems to be a lot of people on here who run with springs and don't seem to have a problem. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks
Old 07-29-13, 09:17 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont think springs are any "harder" on your suspension than coilovers. But when you are lowering a vehicle that was designed to be 3+in higher, things will be put through more stress. decent coilovers can be bought for a lot less than 1000. i personally would save for the coilovers. i started with springs, they didnt really appeal to me. 6 months from now you will most likely want to set your ride height to a more specific stance. but, to each his own
Old 07-29-13, 09:46 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree, springs will do the job for a bit but the shocks will wear out quickly or you'll want to go lower and then you'll be doing or paying for the install work again. Megan EZ coils should be about $600 new or keep your eyes out for a used set of coils in the classifieds, it'll cost you less in the long run to do it right the first time.
Old 07-31-13, 10:09 AM
98LexusGS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether you choose lowering springs or coil overs, keep in mind the additional tire wear and what you may want to do to solve it. With both lowering springs and coilovers I solved my tire wear with RCA's. Keep in mind, RCA's aren't cheap!!! Replacing tires isn't a cheap alternative either!!!
Old 08-02-13, 05:25 AM
talbott
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wondering about L Tuned or the eibach equivalent, do you get any camber from using those that can't be corrected with the oem adjustments?