Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Short Review On BC Racing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 06:08 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Short Review On BC Racing Coilovers

Well,
Now that I have had the coils for about a month, I better understand this upgrade, and can offer a basic impression thus far.

Buying them was painless. I went through one of our vendors, Tristan of Circuit Motorsports. He was cool and gave me a free set of rear extenders. Not much to report there thankfully. I paid immediately, he shipped immediately and everyone was happy. Just Like it should be. The guy i spoke to at BC Racing HQ in tech support was really knowledgable and helpful as well.
The stock "out the box" setup for the Supra/Sc model is pretty friggin' low. I could not drive anywhere. Period. Well maybe this far

I stopped at a tire shop 3 blocks away from my fender roll/Coilover install location. I asked them to take off my wheels and let me dig in with these "wacky" new wrenches. I raised the car a grand total of 3 times that first night and 4 more times within the next few weeks. Your not there...... till your'e there, and if you like your car, you will keep turning till you get there. It's the most "God Awful" sound when you scrape fiberglass bumper, Rub then scrape frame all in rapid succession. A few minutes of that was enough for me.
It took quite a few adjustments (7) to get it right but now that I have it right, I could not be more happy with this car and the BC Coils.
I have had the chance to get the car out of the city a few times and drive the hell out of it. The car is totally like a different car to me now. I cant get enough of driving it. I PURPOSEFULLY change lanes at high speed, abruptly and in ways that would previously induce the WORST out of control body roll, just to feel the car handle it smoothly, flat and well controlled. I cannot believe how fast I can take turns now.
Yesterday was the first time I've gotten the car to sit high enough to actually take it off of "full stiff" without rubbing.
I now have it on 3 clicks from full stiff and it rides wonderfully (Yes in NYC!). I will raise it until it doesn't rub on 5-6 and then have some usable damping adjustment range.
All in all I have to be a little bit more careful over bumps then stock , but not dramatically or annoyingly so. It has transformed the act of driving this car beyond what I had imagined.

Although I raised it many times, it still sits much lower and looks way better then it did

I thank all of the "coilover snobs" here because if not for your zealotry, I would have never bothered to get them.
I would have likely had to go through 2-3 static setups to get it right.

I am in love with this car and this upgrade!
Attached Thumbnails Short Review On BC Racing Coilovers-bcbox.jpg   Short Review On BC Racing Coilovers-oldouttt.jpg   Short Review On BC Racing Coilovers-newinnn.jpg   Short Review On BC Racing Coilovers-sittin.jpg  
Old 06-28-13, 12:31 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are New York roads really that bad to where you still scrape driving that high?
Old 06-28-13, 12:47 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

whats your spring rates at? extreme drop kit?
Old 06-28-13, 04:12 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kingshawty
Are New York roads really that bad to where you still scrape driving that high?
If you consider the picture high, then YES. I was still rubbing often but rarely scraping at this height (pictured).
It's not just bumps that do it. Dips are worse and hard turns also were also rubbing.

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
whats your spring rates at? extreme drop kit?
14/10 springs. Supra model. I'm pretty sure it is not extreme drop. There was no mention of that during the sale or on the box.
Old 06-28-13, 11:27 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job man. I still don't know how you're riding only 3 clicks from full stiff. I'm like at 12 clicks and it feels great. I also live in upstate NY, which *should* have better roads than NYC.

If I do get these for my SC, I'm going to get the 12Ks for the rear to help with it with some more oversteer
Old 06-28-13, 12:02 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

oh ok yeah that makes sense now, but yeah all you really need is a smaller tire size because that rear tire of yours is fatty!!! smaller tires will very much help reduce your rubbing problems, and yes that is considered quite high in my book, i came from driving a scion xb pretty much maxed out on ksports
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjurisprudencia/9049987317/http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjurisprudencia/9049987317/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/pjurisprudencia/, on Flickr

the BC's though must have made a huge difference in handling though! i can't wait until i am able to pick up my pbm's
Old 06-28-13, 02:52 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kingshawty
oh ok yeah that makes sense now, but yeah all you really need is a smaller tire size because that rear tire of yours is fatty!!! smaller tires will very much help reduce your rubbing problems, and yes that is considered quite high in my book, i came from driving a scion xb pretty much maxed out on ksports
the BC's though must have made a huge difference in handling though! i can't wait until i am able to pick up my pbm's
I forgot how fat my tire was compared to many255/285 40.
It would make a big difference if i got a smaller one. I like the look of a mild stretch and big drop but i prefer the Fatter tire. These tires are brand new so i want to get my miles out of them. I may slim it down on the next set.

YES! The handling difference is off the charts. My stock rear suspension was blown. Shocks covered in oil with sagging springs. It looked like a drop. The front shocks had been changed though.
Old 06-28-13, 03:03 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by marshall2j
Nice job man. I still don't know how you're riding only 3 clicks from full stiff. I'm like at 12 clicks and it feels great. I also live in upstate NY, which *should* have better roads than NYC.

If I do get these for my SC, I'm going to get the 12Ks for the rear to help with it with some more oversteer
The shock adjustment doesn't make the huge difference I had anticipated (in the negative). Even full stiff is comfortable enough for me to keep it that way. I was initially rubbing so badly that I couldn't even experiment with the softer settings. 3 from stiff is the softest I have even tried except at 5 for 10 minutes the first night. I am going up a bit more until I can ride on softer settings without rubbing.
Old 06-28-13, 04:38 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good lol. Come through to the meet July 14th its in the NELOC section
Old 06-28-13, 07:54 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc4demon
looking good lol. Come through to the meet July 14th its in the NELOC section
Thank You!
I'll be there, if i'm not working.

See you there.
Old 12-31-14, 11:24 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sry for the thread bump but i have a question on these coilovers since im about to buy them, possibly. did urs come with a camber plate on it?