Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

A Few Coilover Questions (New BC Racing coilovers Installed)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 03:22 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NixusSC
springs can only get you so far....other companies i have called about different spring rates claim their dampers are only viable for +-2kg from the original spring..so if you bought 14/10 coilovers, you could go as soft as 12/8 or hard as 16/12...

i am unsure on how bc can offer any spring rate unless they were changing the dampers to suit the spring =/

geek, have you had any more luck with adjusting your coilovers??
If you saw how miserable the shock dyno curve is to begin with, you wouldn't be that unsure
Any reputable brand will safely tell you 10% spring rate change is fine with whatever valving they use. 20% max on some brands. Most 'budget' companies (and even a couple of japanese companies) are over-dampened anyway to make up for manufacturing inconsistency.
Old 06-12-13, 12:12 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NixusSC
springs can only get you so far....other companies i have called about different spring rates claim their dampers are only viable for +-2kg from the original spring..so if you bought 14/10 coilovers, you could go as soft as 12/8 or hard as 16/12...

i am unsure on how bc can offer any spring rate unless they were changing the dampers to suit the spring =/

geek, have you had any more luck with adjusting your coilovers??
Haha this is what I forgot to add! you can change the spring rate +- 1-2kg without having the shock revalved!
Old 06-12-13, 09:46 PM
jschru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bc racing will revalve your coilovers appropriatly if you get stiffer springs from them
Old 06-13-13, 12:32 AM
SC510
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got the same coilovers and my front fenders took a good hit, but i gotta agree its an awesome mod. Mind if i ask what your ride height is?
Old 06-13-13, 04:46 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SC510
i got the same coilovers and my front fenders took a good hit, but i gotta agree its an awesome mod. Mind if i ask what your ride height is?
I was exhausted by the time I was adjusting them (2:00am) and was terribly unscientific by the end. I used no measurement device and lost turn count. I will have to do some measuring/adjusting soon.
Old 06-13-13, 07:33 AM
NixusSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw, i was browsing bc racings site looking for info:

Q: How much higher can I go up in terms of spring rate before I need to revalve?
A: Our kits are valved to allow an increase of 2k up from our default rates and still maintain acceptable suspension performance. Anything over 2k has to be revalved in order to be run safely and within our specifications.
Replacement dampers are also priced at 95.00..
I do not know if BC will re-valve your coilovers for free or what since you just bought them so recently. It does say, however:

If your vehicle is already in our application chart and you would like to have a kit custom made to lower the vehicle more than normal, we are able to help you. We can try to tailor the kit to your specific needs to the best of our ability. We are aware of trends in the automotive world and will modify our kit to suit the needs of anyone we can, whether it is a hellaflush/VIP vehicle or a purpose built track car.
Reference: http://www.bcracing-na.com/tech-help/faq/
Old 06-17-13, 06:05 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running the supra higher spring rates 14k/10k and it rides great. My car is relatively low but not dumped (appx 1 finger gap inbetween the tire and fender). My stiffness is at about 3/4 of the way up in the front and back. I relocated my fender well harness and set my height and dampening and haven't touched it in a long time.

You have to also understand that it's hard to compare these to other cars we drive boats that weigh upwards of 3600-3800lbs, comparing these coils on our cars vs an evo is apples to oranges. What I was impressed with and what most people comment on when riding in the car is how well it drives considering it's on full coil-overs.

Last edited by HiPSI; 06-17-13 at 06:17 AM.