Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

CURB Bad Damage

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-13, 11:32 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well a few things - a) I dont normally dont just allow people to make contact with my car while driving (although sometimes I wish it happened), things tend to happen in milliseconds and the first response of defensive driving is to maneuver ones self out of most of harms way...which I did. (Ive seen a LOT of rolled cars in my life to just these sorts of incidents - not good)

b) I barely swerved, while applying brakes - this maneuver took approximately 1 second if that, this simply was not enough time for me to have a conversation with myself of whether or not I should "allow" him to hit me.

c) In Arizona, when you can see the person's front tire in front of yours, it will be considered your fault if the front of your car makes contact with the other vehicle behind their front tire, regardless if the jackass is coming into your lane or otherwise at fault, the basis in this reasoning is "you saw them" - which I did...and I responded to prevent a full-on accident which could have resulted in him or me rolling and having serious injuries...I made contact with a curb ***** happens.

Might not be "right" but its the way it is, its not "OK" just to "allow" or even make contact with another because they are in the wrong or driving carelessly...when I see people running red lights, I cant just go plow them...Id like to, but if I purposely make contact at the very least the accident will be both parties at fault.

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
you should have let him hit you, it was his fault and he would have paid for it!
Old 04-25-13, 11:34 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

This is the rippling that happened on the roof near the sunroof...poor car! this is what upsets me the most...my dreams of having a GS300 with 500K miles that I can "restore" in the future kinda up in smoke now...Yeah it can be fixed...but at what price, and then the repaint...

Oh well. I got all the rest of the suspension parts in and fixed except the caster arm which Im waiting on - its been shipped but not delivered.

For S&G - With all the new parts installed (upper/lower control arms) I bolted the old caster arm to the new lower control arm, the other end with the bushing is about 3-1/2" away from the stud where it should mount - meaning its bend/twisted by 3-1/2 inches...Wow!

Surprisingly, now with the new parts on, its nice and tight, no loose/rattling parts, and the tie rod wasnt damaged/bent at all...I may just need an alignment.
Attached Thumbnails CURB Bad Damage-20130419_075013.jpg   CURB Bad Damage-20130419_075048.jpg   CURB Bad Damage-20130419_075030.jpg  
Old 04-30-13, 04:30 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Got the new Arm installed. Went on without a hitch. I think one of my struts did blow, because car banks kinda funny especially when switching between forward and reverse, but drives straight as a whistle!

The camber will need to be adjusted for sure, but thats easy (and cheap), but the toe-in seems right on.

BTW: Thanks to several of you for PMing me on possibly selling me the lower radius arm, I ended going new because I ran out of time and needed to get my car off the jack stands.
Old 04-30-13, 10:09 PM
kamikaze04
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by az-dave
I forgot to add to the damage:

wrinkles on the roof next to the rear corner of the sunroof (both sides !!! ???), and a small crease next to drivers side front corner of roof between sunroof and A-Pilar.

Yeah...I am amazed at the damage...no airbag deployed, and tire still inflated and on rim 3 days later...all I can figure is it was the angle/braking when I hit the curb transferred the forces strangely thru the car.

Its pretty much a total, and it has 261,000 miles on it, but it still runs good, and I like having a 3rd car...so Im gunna try and salvage it if I can, if for nothing else to use as a back-up car...
Same thing that happen to me bro. my whole left side is slightly shifted and the roof has like wrinkles. I have been putting touch up paint on it every time I washed my car. I am going to change out the whole front suspension, just going to buy it slowly. And I know if I take it to a body shop, they will tell me that the car is totaled. The only reason why I did not take it to the body shop and claim it on insurance was because I just paid off my car. And I do not feel like having another car payment, my car is in good condition too minus the curb damage, and absolutely no leaks what so ever underneath the car.
Old 05-01-13, 03:27 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Changing the suspension parts was for the most part Very Easy. The only "special" tool you need is a $15 Tie-Rod remover, which nicely fits the upper and lower ball joints also.

The wrinkles in the roof are a different issue...sucks, and would most likely cause insurance to "total" the car, I will just deal with it.

I am curious however, how have you been driving with the front end jacked up so bad?

Do you feel any strangeness in the suspension, such as over bumps around corners?

Originally Posted by kamikaze04
Same thing that happen to me bro. my whole left side is slightly shifted and the roof has like wrinkles. I have been putting touch up paint on it every time I washed my car. I am going to change out the whole front suspension, just going to buy it slowly. And I know if I take it to a body shop, they will tell me that the car is totaled. The only reason why I did not take it to the body shop and claim it on insurance was because I just paid off my car. And I do not feel like having another car payment, my car is in good condition too minus the curb damage, and absolutely no leaks what so ever underneath the car.