Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS Brakes SUX

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-02, 03:44 PM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS Brakes SUX

Screw MT and C & D

I am fed up with my GS's braking
It stinks
The feel of them is horrible and the break-by-wire just doesnt suit my tastes
is there any type of conversion I can do with any other Lexus models such as the LS or something
or is the Supra TT my only option?
Old 12-27-02, 03:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

actually the gs has one of the best oem brakes out there. 60-0 in 117 ft that's hard to beat consider the size and weight of the car. the main problem is the soft feeling, and you can take care of that mostly by installing the ss lines. it will feel much better.

besides the supra tt upgrade, there are also other big brakes upgrade. brembo, ap racing, endless, etc... tons of choices. if you wanna pay the money, it will only get better

i have the ap racing 6 pistons full setup for front and back, i can tell you my car stops a lot faster and the response time is dramatically reduced
Old 12-27-02, 04:42 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

dgtbullet, if you REALLY feel that the braking on your car is crap, you ought to have it looked at.............ordinarily, pedal feel is pretty good (for stock system) and stopping distances are quite good, as romini pointed out. Fade is a different matter, but no OEM system short of Porsche or the various exotics puts brakes on that are suitable for track use........

This suggests to me that either everything you've driven to date has had Brembo's, etc OR something is not quite right with your GS. Cause it ought to decelerate like you drove into a sand bucket..........
Old 12-27-02, 05:28 PM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Thanks guys,

I know we have some of the best brakes on the market, and that they are up their with the likes of Modenas, but I guess its the feel that pisses me off. Sometimes it feels like I am stopping an inch away with a lot of pedal. My brakes are in preety good shape. I am def. gonna look into the Brake linning. I talked to my mechanic about it, and he said it would make little difference?
Old 12-27-02, 05:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by dgtbullet
Thanks guys,

I know we have some of the best brakes on the market, and that they are up their with the likes of Modenas, but I guess its the feel that pisses me off. Sometimes it feels like I am stopping an inch away with a lot of pedal. My brakes are in preety good shape. I am def. gonna look into the Brake linning. I talked to my mechanic about it, and he said it would make little difference?
yes i agree with you, with the stock brakes you will find yourself pushing the brakes in by quite a bit before the real braking power kicks in.

i can't answer your questions directly coz' i did the whole brake upgrade including the ss line together, but the way i understand it, upgrading the ss lines should give you a better pedal feeling
Old 12-27-02, 05:58 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Braided steel brake lines will definitely remove the sponginess in the pedal feel, if that's what your complaining about.

This is definitely a difference I can feel. Whether you or your brake guy can can tell the difference . . . well everyone's senses are different.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-27-02 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-27-02, 06:30 PM
jeffandi
Driver

Here is my take on the brakes.....

So far, I have had completely stock brakes, x-drilled/slotted rotors with ebc pads and ss brakelines, and the ap racing 6 piston setup. I think you could call me somewhat of a brake expert.

Stock brakes are good. They have great stoping distances but pedal feel and responsiveness sux (IMHO).

x-drilled and slotted rotors with ebc pads and ss brake lines was a waste of money (although not much money). Pedal feel was only slightly better but not much of a difference overall.

AP Racing setup...AWSOME!!!! Pedal feel is firm and response is quick and predictable. Here's why.....

First is the caliper, AP has 6 pistons and the stock caliper has 2. Please excuse me here for a second....

If any so-called "expert" dares to post a reply telling me I
don't know what I'm talking about because you think the GS
caliper is a 4 piston caliper, I will hunt you down and take my
used stock calipers and stick them up your corn-hole
sideways. I don't care if your service tech told you the're 4
piston calipers. Find another shop because anyone who says
something that stupid should not be working on your car.
One side on the caliper has 2 pistons, the other side is flat.

OK, I'm back. 2 piston (or more exactly, "floating") calipers flex during braking because the hydraulic force coming from the master cylinder is applied to only one side of the caliper. Although, both pads apply friction to the rotor. This is because the caliper is allowed to move from side to side. So when the brakes are applied, one pad gets pushed towards the rotor and the other pad gets pulled towards the rotor. This is the main cause of the mushy pedal feel.

Second is the rotor diameter. The stock rotor is 11.7", the AP is 13.5". The increase in brake performance is not due to increased rotor/pad contact area however. The improvement is due to the fact that the barking force is being applied to a point that is further away from the axis of rotation. From physics we have:

torque = (rotational force) * (distace from axis of rotation)

The amount of torque required to stop our vehicles in a certain distace is costant. So if the distance from the axis of rotation is increased, the force required to stop in a given distace in decreased.

Now I realize there are a whole bunch of other factors that contribute to braking performance like tires, pad friction coefficiens, etc. but I just got tired of typing.

Jeff
Old 12-27-02, 06:33 PM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

You da man Jeff,

tell it like it should. How much is the AP setup.
Old 12-27-02, 07:04 PM
LexFather

stick them up your corn-hole sideways
LMAO, put it in your sig...
Damn, between u and Rominl, ya;ll damn near sold me the AP brakes. Pics?
Old 12-27-02, 08:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by dgtbullet
You da man Jeff,

tell it like it should. How much is the AP setup.
well the retail used to be 3200, but we got it through GB for 2600. now they have dropped the retail to 2700. that's only for the front.

we got the rear as well, and that's like 300 maybe?
Old 12-27-02, 08:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

mike, you don't read my threads anymore?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=pics
Old 12-27-02, 09:09 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by jeffandi
Here is my take on the brakes.....

OK, I'm back. 2 piston (or more exactly, "floating") calipers flex during braking because the hydraulic force coming from the master cylinder is applied to only one side of the caliper. Although, both pads apply friction to the rotor. This is because the caliper is allowed to move from side to side. So when the brakes are applied, one pad gets pushed towards the rotor and the other pad gets pulled towards the rotor. This is the main cause of the mushy pedal feel.
Jeff
No doubt the AP's are the hot set up. I've got the Supra 4 piston up front, and adding the SS lines as the only mod made a diff on my set up. Nothing dramatic, but a more solid pedal feel, not mushy.

I'm a little fuzzy on your explanation of why (2 piston) calipers would flex. Let's see if I got this straight. You've got a cylinder on each side of the of the rotor applying pressure "equally" from both sides. So I'm not clear where any flex would be allowed ? ? How does the 6 piston design resolve this better than the 2 piston?

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-27-02 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-27-02, 10:44 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by rominl

mike, you don't read my threads anymore?

Or mine...

This one

This from the gallery

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 12-27-02 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-27-02, 10:46 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by RMMGS4

I'm a little fuzzy on your explanation of why (2 piston) calipers would flex. Let's see if I got this straight. You've got a cylinder on each side of the of the rotor applying pressure "equally" from both sides. So I'm not clear where any flex would be allowed ? ? How does the 6 piston design resolve this better than the 2 piston?
Actually the 2 pistons are on the same side. the other side is "flat". With the six or four piston setups you have them on both sides causing the increase in brake "depth" which usually requires the greater clearance for the caliper.
Old 12-27-02, 11:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
1Sick - not sure they'll fit the rims you and I have, but heck, if you and I can figure it out and they do, maybe you and I can do our own GB.

Quick Reply: GS Brakes SUX