Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Moog Ball Joints vs. OEM Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 06:58 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm getting the right lower one replaced tomorrow, I forgot to ask with what, but i assume with whatever NAPA offers. It wasn't making any noise, but according to the dealer it had play in it? Car only has 66k miles on it. Only reason I'm changing it before it starts making noise is because im getting an alignment
Old 04-15-13, 07:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

And i am not changing the tie rods as they are completely fine.
Old 04-15-13, 07:03 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to take and post a picture to proof
i do have 2 sets of moog outer tie rods , one is made in japan by 555, and other is made in usa by who knows and that one isnt same quality as the one made by 555
i also ordered struts mounts (some made in india and some in usa), upper control arm made in taiwan
all the moog parts that are repacked 555 parts are great quality for the rest im not so sure
Old 04-15-13, 08:05 PM
vlogs300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
i guess you decided not to search this topic at all huh? Everything you asked has been answered. Just so I can be productive in your thread, yes good with Moog vs. (yuck) Oem lbj's. yes change the outer tie rods at the same time because you HAVE to take them off to replace lbj's. yes go to rockauto and get your moog lbj's and outer tie rods for the same price of Oem lbj's. yes google rockauto to find a 5% off discount off your order. Yes I call BS to the member above that said moog quality is going down. Provide proof, links to back up claim. I would like to read it.
I figured these responses would be faster than searching them up cause I'm going to get them installed tomorrow. But I appreciate your review
Old 04-16-13, 04:48 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by vlogs300
I figured these responses would be faster than searching them up cause I'm going to get them installed tomorrow. But I appreciate your review
Oh, didn't know you already had the part in hand lol...guess you were looking for confirmation that you purchased the right item. You made a wise decision going with the Moog. For the GS models, Lexus has had a problem with the lbj's since 93! I don't know if the 3rd gen has lbj failures like the 1st and 2nd gen. Make sure you put grease in them after install.
Old 04-16-13, 06:54 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Turns out my lower ball joints are still ok (for now), but what was bad was my right upper control arm. Lexus didn't notice that? Spending $350 to replace this, the suspension on this car is killing me
Old 04-16-13, 10:35 AM
vlogs300
Driver

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Oh, didn't know you already had the part in hand lol...guess you were looking for confirmation that you purchased the right item. You made a wise decision going with the Moog. For the GS models, Lexus has had a problem with the lbj's since 93! I don't know if the 3rd gen has lbj failures like the 1st and 2nd gen. Make sure you put grease in them after install.
yeah i had them for a like a year now. i was planning to get my control arms and bushings and all that but i've decided to just get my ball joints done first since there's a lot of problems with the lbj's lol. yeah i got the memo. thanks man!
Old 04-16-13, 10:37 AM
vlogs300
Driver

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Turns out my lower ball joints are still ok (for now), but what was bad was my right upper control arm. Lexus didn't notice that? Spending $350 to replace this, the suspension on this car is killing me
i'm far from a mechanic genius, but i have megan lp coils on and i dont really feel any play on the control arm right now so i'm going to just leave it haha. don't got money to buy that part right now
Old 04-16-13, 10:45 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Yup I hear u I was eating roman noodles for a week. Just replaced LBJ with moog, outer tie rods, motor mounts,alignment, sway bar links Moog also... So glad its done though, feels like a new car
Old 04-16-13, 11:04 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

It's just that te car is driving fine but due to me wanting to get an alignment because of new tires, I discovered all this. Also on top of this my other car just started acting up, all in the same day haha
Old 04-16-13, 11:06 AM
AZTurbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used Toyota OEM on my last GS400 and never had a problem. I just installed Moogs on my GS300 and havent noticed a difference. I think you are good as long as you swap the originals regardless of brand.
Old 04-16-13, 12:20 PM
ohboitony
Driver School Candidate

I have 171,xxx miles and running well. But when do I have to change them? When I hear a clicking noise? Cause I want to do this before I it fails on me and that would be a bad day! Thanks you!
Old 04-16-13, 12:24 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope you know there is no difference in the Moog 555 brand and the American brand right???
Old 04-16-13, 12:50 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ohboitony
I have 171,xxx miles and running well. But when do I have to change them? When I hear a clicking noise? Cause I want to do this before I it fails on me and that would be a bad day! Thanks you!
I mean they are all running well until it snaps on them! Using common sense will tell you if they need to be changed or not with those amount of miles on it or better yet, look above and check out our the links at the top and view horror pictures to see if you need to change it now or wait until you crush your fender and rip your ABS sensor....
Old 04-16-13, 01:54 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ohboitony
Do it now, better safe than sorry, or your gonna spend $800 on a new fender,bumper, and paint,dont wanna lose your life do u? Its so cheap of a part just change em! Peace of mind or constant worry on your mind! Its a no brainer, they said my ball joints were rock solid yet I heard pops, changed them to Moog, noise is gone.....

Last edited by DosyBoy; 04-16-13 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Moog Ball Joints vs. OEM Ball Joints