Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

More suspension options with Supra

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 12:35 PM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More suspension options with Supra

My son and I have decided that we are going to go with a Supra setup to lower his SC3. Given many of the reviews here on the site (aside from the Espelir ASD springs for the SC3) we think we are going to go with the Eibach springs and KYB AGX setup. It seems to offer a reasonably nice drop, and the spring/shock combo seem to retain much of the stock ride qualities that are probably closer to stock. Also, it seems that the Supra aftermarket parts are considerably less expensive than that for the SC3, not to mention the broader selection available, since cost and availability are a major consideration. Unless someone can convince us this is NOT the way to go, we are looking for part numbers for both the KYB AGX shocks and Eibach springs. Does Eibach offer any other spring aside from the Pro-Kit? Where do we find "top hats", "shock mounts", and "shock covers" that are often recommended here on CL? And, are these specific to the SC3 or the Supra shock we intend to use?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would prefer to "measure twice and cut once".
Old 04-11-13, 01:00 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use the sc top hats, nothing but the shocks and springs need to be changed.
Old 04-11-13, 05:43 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i have supra tt KYB struts and Tein springs, and i must say the ride quality is not so good. thats why i'm looking for a comfortable coilover setup this time around on my sc3. I hear Stance retains stock comfort (but they are quite pricey)

I wonder how comfortable the megans are. those are cheap to buy
Old 04-11-13, 07:00 PM
V8drummer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
i have supra tt KYB struts and Tein springs, and i must say the ride quality is not so good. thats why i'm looking for a comfortable coilover setup this time around on my sc3. I hear Stance retains stock comfort (but they are quite pricey)

I wonder how comfortable the megans are. those are cheap to buy
Which Tein Springs do you have... S-tech? That's what I'm running on my SC.
Old 04-11-13, 08:33 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by V8drummer
Which Tein Springs do you have... S-tech? That's what I'm running on my SC.
yup! They're not terrible, but I just won't be doing it again. It does give a nice drop for Chicago driving though
Old 04-11-13, 10:53 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

I highly recommend the Gixxer_Drew Supra/SC suspension as an alternative although it's not designed to go much lower than a couple of inches below stock so as to preserve suspension geometry. It is considerably cheaper than some of the more expensive coilover setups, however.
Old 04-12-13, 08:09 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I highly recommend the Gixxer_Drew Supra/SC suspension as an alternative although it's not designed to go much lower than a couple of inches below stock so as to preserve suspension geometry. It is considerably cheaper than some of the more expensive coilover setups, however.
This is a suspension setup that I have to make myself though, right? I've heard some great things about it, but it just seems complicated. How much should I expect to spend on such a setup?
Old 04-12-13, 07:21 PM
V8drummer
Intermediate

yup! They're not terrible, but I just won't be doing it again. It does give a nice drop for Chicago driving though
Yeah I agree. I love the stance, but they do have a much higher spring rate than I realized.
Old 04-15-13, 09:35 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

This is a suspension setup that I have to make myself though, right? I've heard some great things about it, but it just seems complicated. How much should I expect to spend on such a setup?
Yes, you assemble it yourself. It's not that complicated. The thread on SF has pretty good instructions for assembly. For installation in the car, use any good writeup on changing shocks on an SC or Supra. I did an abbreviated writeup myself. The spring compressor may sound daunting but when you understand how it works and correctly mounts to each spring, it is safe and simple to use (although keep in mind that a compressed spring has a lot of energy stored up). There are many good how to videos on youtube detailing exactly how to use a spring compressor. You rent them at Autozone, by the way.

I don't know if the first page of the thread was updated with this info recently but whether you use the 500/250 version or 600/325 you should use the helper springs outlined in the manual. Early wording says it isn't needed for either of those spring combinations and you can get away without it but you should use the helpers to achieve correct preload upon installation.

Also note that it's not a system intended for more than about 2" of lowering. Maybe 2.5" but that's it. It doesn't change the stock suspension geometry. That said, it's a very good system. For a smoother ride, use the 500/250 version. All versions are very responsive, especially with an upgraded rear sway bar or TT rear sway conversion.

I'd have to look up my receipts but I may have paid just under $1k in total. Maybe it was $900 in total parts.

Here is my short thread covering my install:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-pictures.html

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-15-13 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-15-13, 12:06 PM
mattjk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Looks like i'm going to go with that setup as well. Thanks for the info.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...pension-thread..
Old 05-17-13, 03:12 PM
supranyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for that link. mattjk, did you install yet? opinions on ridE?
Old 05-31-13, 06:22 AM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

For a mostly street driven sc with the best compromise of performance, comfort, price and ride height, you can't beat oem supra Tt springs and shocks. Any lower and suspension geometry goes to hell. I had bilstein hd supra shocks on ground control control sleeves with 500 up front 250 in the rear. Sold them and went back to oem supra stuff. The bilstein shocks are pretty firm for public roads. Most people on this forum will disagree with me and will do whatever it takes to achieve that hellaflush stanced look with wrong offset wheels at the expense of having any resemblance of a functional suspension setup.

Last edited by hmhatch; 05-31-13 at 06:32 AM.