Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question about TRD Strut Bar Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 09:24 PM
GTE4Life
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about TRD Strut Bar Install

I just got my TRD MKIV supra strut bar and i was looking at the instrctions (in japanese...which i can't uderstand) and it looks like they tell you to take the metal large rings off of the strut towers and then place three washers (provided with the bar) under the TRD strut bar when you put it on. They say to use the thinner 0.9mm ones on the outside 2 bolts and the thicker 1.6mm thick ones on the inner four bolts (why the difference in thickness...i have no idea).

My question is are the washers necessary? In my mind i would think that having the large contact are of the bottom the the strut bar in contact with the tower would be better than only having the pressure on the threesmall washers, just like the factory large metal ring, it had a large contact area?

I am GTE swapped so manifold clearance is not an issue, i just want the most rigid and best setup possible.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-09-13, 11:19 PM
SoupFlies
Driver School Candidate

I would assume that they have methods to their madness.
(nice to see another Coloradan)
The outer washers being thinner than the inner does make sense to me though, because I don't think that the towers are flat, I think they are sloped, lower on the inside.

A quip from the following link:
To distribute the pressure of the nut or bolt evenly over the part being secured, reducing the chance of damage thereto, and
To provide a smooth surface for the nut or bolt to bear on, making it less likely to loosen as a result of an uneven fastening surface.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...d-metal-things

I always use washers when supplied, especially on painted things. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 04-10-13, 06:45 AM
GTE4Life
Rookie

Ya the difference in thickness makes me wonder too. I also strongly believe in using washers on nearly all fasteners, what has me confused on the TRD bar is it looks like the instructions tell you to place the wahsers UNDER the strut bar and they have no recomendation for washers on top of the strut bar mount. I am leaning towards going to the hardware store and getting some good washers for the top and removing the large factory metal ring and installing the bar with no washers UNDER it and some good large washers on top.
Old 06-30-13, 09:07 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so, what did you wind up doing??
Old 06-30-13, 09:26 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I left the metal plate it's fine