Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HELP. very bad alignment after lowering h&R

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-13, 09:19 AM
MUDHAR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP. very bad alignment after lowering h&R

hey,

I just lowered my 06 is350 via H&R springs by myself , and after i lowered it i decided to do the alignment.

this is the resul
t

what should i do??????

the camber is the problem and why its with only one side?

Last edited by MUDHAR; 04-07-13 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-07-13, 03:32 PM
sgmbab
Driver

It seem like they didn't do anything. You should be able to adjust the toe but not camber. I would take it to another place.
Old 04-07-13, 03:35 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where in PA are you?

R/T tuning in Lansdale is familiar with lowered cars and can most likely help you get the toe in spec which is more important when it comes to eating tires prematuring
Old 04-07-13, 04:16 PM
skottydznt
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea you definetly need an alignment for the toe but your gonna have to wait for them to settle if you just installed them
Old 04-07-13, 04:37 PM
MUDHAR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sgmbab
It seem like they didn't do anything. You should be able to adjust the toe but not camber. I would take it to another place.
aha, I will go to another place ASAP

Thanx

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Where in PA are you?

R/T tuning in Lansdale is familiar with lowered cars and can most likely help you get the toe in spec which is more important when it comes to eating tires prematuring

im in Wilkes-Barre,PA in Luzerne county and Lansdale is about 90 mi

Originally Posted by skottydznt
yea you definetly need an alignment for the toe but your gonna have to wait for them to settle if you just installed them
I have them now for 2 weeks. ill try to get the toe at least

-------------------------

this morning I took off the wheel and i noticed that the shock is not 100% in the correct place

the shock is not parallel with the bult. i dont know if that could be the problem?
Old 04-07-13, 05:42 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shock not parallel means it can have worn bushing. But it doesn't have anything to do with inconsistent camber. If these shock are original from 06, chances are that they might be worn out already. First you can check the ride height difference between left and right side. From the alignment reading, your left side must be somewhat lower than your right side. Although this is normal for lowering spring but the difference should not be very significant. If so, you may need to take the shock out and test if any of them are worn out. Also, make sure that spring and shock are assembled in the correct way and all rubber insulators are in place, springs and strut's top hats are aligned on the right orientation and everything.
Old 04-08-13, 10:40 AM
MUDHAR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SCWB
Shock not parallel means it can have worn bushing. But it doesn't have anything to do with inconsistent camber. If these shock are original from 06, chances are that they might be worn out already. First you can check the ride height difference between left and right side. From the alignment reading, your left side must be somewhat lower than your right side. Although this is normal for lowering spring but the difference should not be very significant. If so, you may need to take the shock out and test if any of them are worn out. Also, make sure that spring and shock are assembled in the correct way and all rubber insulators are in place, springs and strut's top hats are aligned on the right orientation and everything.
the shocks work very well by car has 51000 mi now. I'll try to fix the shock position and change the bushing if i have to.
thank

I don't know what to do for the camber problem???? how can i fix it???
Old 04-08-13, 01:36 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Honestly, you shouldn't be having such issues with only springs. Besides the bolts holding the shock itself in place, what other bolts or components did you loosen/remove?
Old 04-08-13, 07:19 PM
droolerk9
Driver School Candidate

Normally you'd adjust the rear camber first, then the rear toe. After that you'd move on to the front and do the caster & camber, and then the toe. The IS32/350's only have adjustments for the toe (F/R). If you'd added some components you may have added more suspension adjustability as well.

The front of your car has lots of negative camber and should be pulling to the left. The rear of your car has positive toe, and a positive thrust angle, and should pull to the right.

The alignment should have been checked before the car was worked on to see if anything was out of whack. Am A4 certified mechanic should have check the condition of the bearing and bushings while they were under the car. You may have one of those parts that has failed and is preventing the car from being set up correctly.

I'd make sure that I had the parts that make the suspension adjustable, but I'd check for existing bent parts too.
Old 04-09-13, 07:38 AM
2008GT500
Driver School Candidate

I'm just starting to look at springs or coil-overs and maybe swaybars. From what I've read, the H&Rs are 1.4F and 1.3R. Is there enough adjustment in the suspension to get back in spec, or will caster/camber plates/bolts be needed?
Old 04-09-13, 07:52 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008GT500
I'm just starting to look at springs or coil-overs and maybe swaybars. From what I've read, the H&Rs are 1.4F and 1.3R. Is there enough adjustment in the suspension to get back in spec, or will caster/camber plates/bolts be needed?
I'm not sure if the camber will be "in spec" but it should not be bad enough that you need to purchase camber arms or adjustable ball joints... I know many members on here who are running 0 gap or even slightly tucking with coils and do not have adjustable camber and don't have issues. The toe-in is what causes the majority of the pre-mature wear on the tires... have the toe set as close to 0 as possible.
Old 04-09-13, 11:01 AM
MUDHAR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I'm not sure if the camber will be "in spec" but it should not be bad enough that you need to purchase camber arms or adjustable ball joints... I know many members on here who are running 0 gap or even slightly tucking with coils and do not have adjustable camber and don't have issues. The toe-in is what causes the majority of the pre-mature wear on the tires... have the toe set as close to 0 as possible.
so changing camber is not usual with h&r springs and the camber problem is only with one side.
is that mean that i may have done something wrong when i was installing 'em?
Old 04-09-13, 11:38 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Hard telling... as suggested, I would take the car to another place to have the alignment done.
Old 04-09-13, 12:25 PM
MUDHAR
Driver School Candidate

I noticed that the left front is lower that the right front about 0.5 inch.
and the rear tires are even.
is that could be the problem?
Old 04-09-13, 01:13 PM
zydus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MUDHAR
so changing camber is not usual with h&r springs and the camber problem is only with one side.
is that mean that i may have done something wrong when i was installing 'em?
I have the H&Rs on an 06 is250 awd. The camber for my left side is not in spec, but the tech said as long as toe is 0 and within spec you'll generally be fine. I can a picture of my alignment if you'd like.

Quick Reply: HELP. very bad alignment after lowering h&R