Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Control Arm Bushings Install Price

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 07:17 PM
kingronald
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Control Arm Bushings Install Price

I got both the #1 and #2 poly sets from FIGS ($279), and I just got a quote of $578 from Ace Tire in Lemon Grove, CA, for the full install. They claimed that it requires removing much more than the LCA's, which contradicts at least one person on the other IS forum, who said it was relatively straightforward.

Alternatively, they would remove and press in the new bushings for $170, if I were to remove/replace the arms myself, which carries the added bonus of actually torquing the bolts to spec (which I'm certain they will not). But even $170, just to press in the bushings, sounds like a ripoff, no?

I'm obviously going to ask around for estimates, but I'd like to get a better idea of what I should expect, if anyone here is familiar. But I suspect they are merely trying to fleece me, because someone claimed that he had the #2 arms replaced for < $100, but maybe he had the hook up or something. Or, maybe someone can recommend a dependable shop in San Diego? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-05-13, 09:24 PM
megomaniac
Driver School Candidate

use the 170$ to buy tools and do it your self. or prepare to continually get raped.
Old 04-05-13, 10:23 PM
kingronald
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by megomaniac
use the 170$ to buy tools and do it your self. or prepare to continually get raped.
I already have tons of tools, but a press for the bushings is going to cost a lot more than a couple hundred bucks. Perhaps you have a used one to sell to me for that cheap? -_-
Old 04-07-13, 01:00 PM
megomaniac
Driver School Candidate

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-...ess-33497.html

or I've seen diy press's online, using a bottle jack. or you could remove the arms and old bushing so all a shop has to do is press in the new ones. just don't wreck the stock arms trying to get the bushes out.
Old 05-06-13, 11:39 AM
jmwmnl
Driver School Candidate

Just had Napa press my No.2 lower control arm bushings in. Cost for one hour of labor at Napa was $85 + $185 for the FIGS front caster arm #2 press-in polyurethane bushings, makes my total =$270 + labor (4hours).
Old 05-07-13, 09:51 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Pictures and road feel? Your thoughtsss

Pictures and road feel? How is the ride?
Old 05-10-13, 09:32 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Shop time is expensive... fortunately, replacing bushings isn't a terribly difficult job, but it is definitely time consuming... shop time is based on time, not necessarily difficulty...

there is a labor time for replacement of factory bushings, probably around 1.5 hours per side to remove the lower control arm and press the bushings... on the cheap labor rate, we're talking $80, on the high side, as much as $150 or more, depending on where you live... how long it actually takes, hard to say, but trying to press stuff yourself is a pretty terrible job if you don't have the right press and adapters... hell, my shop has the right adapters and it still sucks sometimes...
Old 05-13-13, 06:52 AM
jmwmnl
Driver School Candidate

GS714 -attached are some pics that I shot while doing the #2 LCA. The difference is night and day in my IS. Before it used to shimmy while braking, high speed, and had drifting trouble while banking around corners. Now it definitely feels more connected to the rest of the car. No shaking while under load and braking. The tendency to drift is also less. AND lastly, my camber wear will be a lot less on my new tires.

This was the uneven camber wear on the inside of my front tires. I researched and found the #2 LCA to be the culprit.

Here are the old bushings at 110k miles. Doesn't seem like a lot, but you can see the poor design, i.e. the gaps between the post and bushings. Can only get worse.

Here are the replacements, FIGS #2 press-in bushings.

Car up on jack stands and the post that the LCA slides over (silver/blue stud vertically oriented). Hardest part was loosening the two 17mm bolts on the control arm/hub knuckle under the shock mount.

And lastly, the new bushings pressed in, an 1.5 hours and $80 later

*When you're reinstalling the LCA, loosely slide the bushing over the post and start by tightening/aligning the inner 17mm bolt on the knuckle/shock support. The LCA will be easier and pivot into alignment, instead of needing all the extra manhandling if you use the outer 17mm hole first. I also used a jack to lift the hub assembly some.
Old 05-13-13, 06:15 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice work on the pics and write up. Those old bushing were toast.
Old 09-14-15, 09:25 PM
JCkicks300
Driver School Candidate

Default Right Bushings ?

I was looking through this and I realized this post could answer my question . I need to switch these bushings on my IS as well ASAP . Now my question is ... did I get the right ones ? Mine do not look anything like the ones in the prev pics .
Old 10-09-15, 01:17 PM
LITOELITE
Driver School Candidate

That looks like a Prothane or a Poly Bushing. I got the same one from eBay. That is easy to install, no press needed. Take out the old Bushing and metal sleeve. You can press the old one out or torch out the old one and hacksaw the metal sleeve off. Lightly sand spots you happen to hacksaw on the Arm, clean up where the new bushing will go. Lube up the new bushing and the arm where the bushing will end up well with synthetic grease. Take out metal inner sleeve from new bushing, then proceed to hammer the new bushing home with a rubber mallet. It will squeeze in place, then insert the metal inner sleeve and install in car in reverse order as it was removed.