Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear TRD Sway Bar Snapped!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 08:20 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

did your mechanic snap them and just blame you?
Old 04-04-13, 08:48 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksedan
that hue of blue is kind of off. are you sure it's TRD?? Mine is a bit brighter
yeah my TRD sways are much brighter also

(OLD PICS)

naw i noticed his a little flat and it looks a little like Cusco's but im sure he knows his car better than us and if he says they are TRD blues they probably are just old,faded,and dirty i guess. sucks bout that breaking OP this one of the best mods i have done for handling
Old 04-04-13, 10:54 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sakataj

what bushings are you using? the stock rubber or did you manage to find some polyurethenes to fit?
Old 04-04-13, 11:00 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver
sakataj

what bushings are you using? the stock rubber or did you manage to find some polyurethenes to fit?
the TRD's come with their own bushings, so im using the ones they supplied.when i was stock i was using the Daizen ones, why, what are you using?
Old 04-04-13, 01:31 PM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well i mean if OP you were really that low, wouldnt your exhaust pipes also be done?!
Old 04-04-13, 02:14 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by neegroy
well i mean if OP you were really that low, wouldnt your exhaust pipes also be done?!
are you serious? he doesnt mean he was so low the sway bar dragged and broke,he means from the constant back and forth swaying and the pressure it creates it broke

if it was how you described the whole rear would be done as the sway bar is up in the rear end and not easy to get to, to scrape.....almost impossible without ruining the car
Old 04-04-13, 04:57 PM
LexFather

Years ago when trying to Slay the Dragon's tail road I noticed a clunking sound on the way home and the car felt looser. Took it to Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett (the best dealer around) and I snapped the front TRD sway bar They had to fuse it back together and it was back to normal.
Old 04-04-13, 06:27 PM
2jS160
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ that's very interesting that they can fuse a snapped sway bar. How much mileage did you put on the repaired sway bar?
Old 04-05-13, 08:35 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Years ago when trying to Slay the Dragon's tail road I noticed a clunking sound on the way home and the car felt looser. Took it to Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett (the best dealer around) and I snapped the front TRD sway bar They had to fuse it back together and it was back to normal.
pics...............?
Old 04-05-13, 11:24 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
the TRD's come with their own bushings, so im using the ones they supplied.when i was stock i was using the Daizen ones, why, what are you using?
I'm using the rubber bushings that came with my TRD's but they are showing signs of age. I was hoping to be able to put some polyurethane bushings in there to couple with the TRD sways.
Old 04-05-13, 02:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by sakataj
pics...............?
Mahn this is like 7-8 years ago... I found my install thread, 2002

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-the-same.html
Old 04-06-13, 11:23 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they just weld the bar back together? how did the weld hold up after some hard driving?
Old 04-08-13, 07:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Mahn this is like 7-8 years ago... I found my install thread, 2002

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-the-same.html
i have pics from my builds years 8-10 ago but i understand man it was a long time ago and a lot of you old cats werent into photos back then. i wouldn't have allowed them to weld that bar again as it would always be a weak point and susceptible to breaking again
Old 04-09-13, 06:03 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind everyone. The reason you're snapping the TRD bar is because most of the suspension of everyone here is probably going to be on the softer side. This means the sway bar is going to be taking a HELL of a beating. Say for example you put the TRD on stock GS suspension. The car is going to have much less body roll, but guess what. The sway bars are solely taking on that load, and that's probably well beyond their designed strength. Now, say you couple that TRD bar with some stiff coilovers. Now you're distributing the body roll load across the coilovers and sway bars. Much less likely chance of breaking the sway bar in this case. The spring rate on my coil overs have always been around 18/16k front and 14/12k rear. I've never snapped any of my TRD sway bars.

The solution for those of you that prefer a softer suspension, don't get the TRD sway. Get something softer that will comply with the softer suspension you have. Yes you will lose some of the great TRD body sway reduction, but you won't be snapping sway bars.