Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-13, 10:41 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 510to808
Well I talked to the vendor and he said I don't really need the swift springs because the ones they come with are good enough plus it's an extra 280$
Yep and that's fine, its just for me personally I wanted to have the better springs and have the dampers valved for them. To me that was worth the extra $280, and that's why I went for it. But yeah its not necessary at all.
Old 10-18-13, 11:13 AM
510to808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Yep and that's fine, its just for me personally I wanted to have the better springs and have the dampers valved for them. To me that was worth the extra $280, and that's why I went for it. But yeah its not necessary at all.
He just said it's hyped up, but do you have extenders on yours I'm just curious on do I need to get them or do I wanna just take the back wheels off everytime I wanna adjust height..?
Old 10-18-13, 11:28 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by 510to808
He just said it's hyped up, but do you have extenders on yours I'm just curious on do I need to get them or do I wanna just take the back wheels off everytime I wanna adjust height..?
What vendor are you talking to? It seems odd that they would steer you away from a better product. If it was just "hyped up", more members would have spoken up, and Swift wouldn't be one of the most popular aftermarket spring brands. But whatever, not my issue.

I bought mine from CircuitMS, and they threw in the extenders for free. To be clear, the extenders are for adjusting the damping, not the height. You will have to remove the wheels to adjust height regardless.
Old 10-18-13, 11:41 AM
510to808
Pole Position

Thmotor, I guess you could say he steered me away from them but I told him I'm not planning on tracking or drifting my car really just to lower/slam it everyday driver.. But if I was a vendor if say you'd need em cause you'd be spending more money but whatever. Can't wait to order my fortune autos I'm tired of looking at all these lowered 2is on here and when I see mine it's ugly haha
Old 10-18-13, 12:35 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

^I'd have to agree if you're just going with the "standard" 10k/8k coilover setup. But if you start wanting 14k/16k springs, I think the difference is noticeable.

What is the setup you've opted for? If you didn't know, the "standard" with the BCRs is 10k/8k...and probably the same with the Fortunes. For a good spirited DD'ing setup I'd have to go with 14k/10k setup. I've got 12k/8k now, and though I love how neutral the setup is for DD'ing, it leaves me wanting more on the twisties.
Old 10-18-13, 12:35 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The vendor is right. If you don't track then there's no point in adding swift to your coilovers. The normal springs should be more than enough for daily driving.
Old 10-18-13, 12:43 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Are you guys speaking from experience? I'm not trying to rustle any feathers. I just know that now that I have the coilovers with the Swift springs, I wouldn't want to go with the standard springs because I just love the way they feel on the road. The suspension handles the road imperfections like a champ. I have no doubts that the standard springs would be okay, I'm just saying that, speaking from experience, the Swift upgrade is worth the money.

That being said, I'm sure the roads up here are worse than what you have in California, so you'll probably be fine with the standard springs.
Old 10-18-13, 01:18 PM
510to808
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gville350
^I'd have to agree if you're just going with the "standard" 10k/8k coilover setup. But if you start wanting 14k/16k springs, I think the difference is noticeable.

What is the setup you've opted for? If you didn't know, the "standard" with the BCRs is 10k/8k...and probably the same with the Fortunes. For a good spirited DD'ing setup I'd have to go with 14k/10k setup. I've got 12k/8k now, and though I love how neutral the setup is for DD'ing, it leaves me wanting more on the twisties.
I didn't order it yet but 14k/10k sounds right, not gonna lie I'm a straight noobie when it comes to coilovers I'm not even installing them once I get them my friend has a shop so ima cashing him out to install them. It had a lift and there professional so that's where I'm at right now. Also heard the vsc light will appear but you can bypass it ? At 12k/8k how much did you have to fender roll and replace tabs if any ?
Old 10-18-13, 01:39 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

all this talk about spring rates for daily driving is not really worth its weight in discussion, honestly.

the only times that spring rates matters are:

1. when you're on the track and you actually really need that marginal increase in spring rate, or...

2. when you've got some low-low-LOW offset wheels and stretched tires that you don't want doing a number on your fenders when your ride height is anything less than a one-finger gap.

the investment in replacement coil springs w/ higher spring rates is great until you realize that the same can be achieved with off-the-shelf coilovers with nearly-identical spring rates (give or take 2 kg/mm). if you have the money to spend, or if you want it for the name's sake, you'll get that. but unless you truly qualify for one of the two above scenarios (and no, "talking about it but not following through with it" doesn't) it's all just more money.

here's the not-so-authoritative guide to coilovers. take it for what it's worth.

- looking to dump your 2is and call it a day? megan racing EZ series or anything in the <$1k segment.
- need something in case you run flush (not hellaflush) wheels/tires? megan racing LP series, BC racing w/ recommended spring rates, or anything off-the-shelf in the ~$1k segment
- LOW offset wheels + stretched tires + LOW ride height? BC racing + upgraded spring rates, HKS Hipermax X-Series
- track/autocross fiend? BC racing + upgraded Swift Spring spring rates, KW V3's, Ohlins, almost anything in the $2k+ category
Old 10-18-13, 01:54 PM
510to808
Pole Position

Sounds like I'm going with fortune auto 500 coilovers 1080$ in my range just tryna drop it and run it with stock rims for a while...thanks for all the info though this forum is definitely a big *** help since I got my 2is...
Old 10-18-13, 01:59 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

^ unless you have more plans down the road, don't bother spending more than you have to.

$0.02.
Old 10-18-13, 02:34 PM
sm1ke
Racer

I'm only talking about Swift springs vs. standard springs and whether or not they are worth the extra cost. Here are some user reviews to read. I'm only providing this so you're aware, not trying to push an agenda. It's just so you have all the information, regarding what is recommended for your application (standard springs) and what others have reported. Keep in mind that these reviews are for BC coilovers and Swift springs. I would assume that Fortune Auto coilovers would perform the same (if not better).

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2339757
http://my.is/forums/f89/bc-coilovers...prings-442533/

From the first link,
"After the install, a few weeks of break-in time, and a run up to the Tail of the Dragon I'd have to say I'm very impressed with the setup. Compared to several of the cars I'd ridden in with BC BR coilovers with their standard springs, the Swift spring upgrade was definitely worth it. The ride quality is very similar to stock ride quality which is what I was looking for with a daily driver and the performance surpasses the stock struts. There is a drastic improvement in body roll and lift/dive characteristics changed considerably. If you have a WRX with stock suspension you can understand how bad the lift/dive are with factory suspension and I was very pleased with the improvement. You will feel it if you hit a good size bump or pot hole but I am still impressed in how much smoother the ride is compared to BCs with standard springs. I went on a somewhat long distance road trip, after I put the coilovers on, and I expected to be really uncomfortable and I thought my back would be killing me but I had no such problem."

I'm not trying to push you into getting the better springs. Just know that if you do get the coilovers and decide that you want the Swift spring upgrade after all, you have to ship them back, wait for them to order and install the springs and custom-valve the dampers for you, then wait to receive them again. In my opinion its better to just bite the bullet now and get it done rather than the wait-and-see approach.

In the end, its your money, and you really can't go wrong with Fortune Auto coilovers either way. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 10-21-13, 12:23 PM
510to808
Pole Position

I'm only talking about Swift springs vs. standard springs and whether or not they are worth the extra cost. Here are some user reviews to read. I'm only providing this so you're aware, not trying to push an agenda. It's just so you have all the information, regarding what is recommended for your application (standard springs) and what others have reported. Keep in mind that these reviews are for BC coilovers and Swift springs. I would assume that Fortune Auto coilovers would perform the same (if not better).

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2339757
http://my.is/forums/f89/bc-coilovers...prings-442533/

From the first link,
"After the install, a few weeks of break-in time, and a run up to the Tail of the Dragon I'd have to say I'm very impressed with the setup. Compared to several of the cars I'd ridden in with BC BR coilovers with their standard springs, the Swift spring upgrade was definitely worth it. The ride quality is very similar to stock ride quality which is what I was looking for with a daily driver and the performance surpasses the stock struts. There is a drastic improvement in body roll and lift/dive characteristics changed considerably. If you have a WRX with stock suspension you can understand how bad the lift/dive are with factory suspension and I was very pleased with the improvement. You will feel it if you hit a good size bump or pot hole but I am still impressed in how much smoother the ride is compared to BCs with standard springs. I went on a somewhat long distance road trip, after I put the coilovers on, and I expected to be really uncomfortable and I thought my back would be killing me but I had no such problem."

I'm not trying to push you into getting the better springs. Just know that if you do get the coilovers and decide that you want the Swift spring upgrade after all, you have to ship them back, wait for them to order and install the springs and custom-valve the dampers for you, then wait to receive them again. In my opinion its better to just bite the bullet now and get it done rather than the wait-and-see approach.

In the end, its your money, and you really can't go wrong with Fortune Auto coilovers either way. Hope it all works out for you.
Just wondering when you did your coilovers does a light on the dash come on like the vsc and if a mechanic does it he should be able to bypass it correct? Just wanna make sure if I get coilovers and get them installed there'll be no dash light on
Old 10-21-13, 02:08 PM
sm1ke
Racer

I never had that issue, but I've heard of people who have. I think it only happens because the mechanic forgot to plug a sensor back in or something like that.

Also I think a dash light comes on if the height is not the same all around, like if the car sits a lot higher in the front than in the rear. So just make sure that you do all four sides at the same time and that the height is roughly the same all around. For the record, my passenger side front coilover is about .5" higher than the driver's side, but I've driven at least 5000 kms and I haven't had any issues. My axle seals just started to leak, but my mechanic said it's just the seals, easily replaceable.
Old 10-21-13, 06:58 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I never had that issue, but I've heard of people who have. I think it only happens because the mechanic forgot to plug a sensor back in or something like that.

Also I think a dash light comes on if the height is not the same all around, like if the car sits a lot higher in the front than in the rear. So just make sure that you do all four sides at the same time and that the height is roughly the same all around. For the record, my passenger side front coilover is about .5" higher than the driver's side, but I've driven at least 5000 kms and I haven't had any issues. My axle seals just started to leak, but my mechanic said it's just the seals, easily replaceable.
Wrong on that note car doesn't have to be even. I know cause my front at 24.5 and my rear at 25.75 no light. Only light you might get is the afs from people not knowing not to touch it.

Quick Reply: Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers