Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Alignment Advice Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 03:52 PM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Need Alignment Advice Help!

Got a free test from a local shop using HawkEye Elite and they told me I need a camber kit front and rear. I have a one finger gap all around and was told to raise it up some. Is the camber kit all I need? Or are toe links mandatory as well? Please shed some light asap, as my new tires are wearing out fairly quickly

Old 03-23-13, 06:10 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't run through tires that fast at all with -2.3 camber. Get some toe links though to get that toe to 0, because that's what eats out your tires the fastest.

I just bought some Battle Version rear toe links. You can go with them or FIGS.

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...tegory&path=46

http://battleversion.com/store/gs-97-05/
Old 03-23-13, 07:12 PM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
You won't run through tires that fast at all with -2.3 camber. Get some toe links though to get that toe to 0, because that's what eats out your tires the fastest.

I just bought some Battle Version rear toe links. You can go with them or FIGS.

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...tegory&path=46

http://battleversion.com/store/gs-97-05/
There are some listed in the classifieds as well, but wondering if they make any for the front. My front toe seems out of wack. All I could find for the front are spc camber kit, but it's actually a UCA.
Old 03-24-13, 10:03 AM
acuratechv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to assume these readings are right after you just lowered it.

the front toe will go in to spec there is more than enough adjustment on Tie rods, in the rear it should also come in to spec there is absolutely no need for suspension replacements it's a waste of money. get your toe fixed as soon as possible your front tires won't last six months with those readings, that is the main cause of wear you are seeing now.

given camber will not wear out your tires in a matter of months however you're going to see a noticeable reduction in overall life, i don't think it's worth messing with.

Last edited by acuratechv; 03-24-13 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-24-13, 12:49 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acuratechv

the front toe will go in to spec there is more than enough adjustment on Tie rods, in the rear it should also come in to spec there is absolutely no need for suspension replacements it's a waste of money. get your toe fixed as soon as possible your front tires won't last six months with those readings, that is the main cause of wear you are seeing now.

given camber will not wear out your tires in a matter of months however you're going to see a noticeable reduction in overall life, i don't think it's worth messing with.
Adjustable rear suspension is not a waste of money. I got my GS with 136k miles and the rear toe links bushings were shot and I could not get my toe anywhere near in spec and ordered some adjustable ones. This was when I was at STOCK height and spec was not reachable. For $175 i'll gladly pay for a set of adjustable rear links. That's cheap and better than having worn OEM bushings for the rear.

For the front i've never seen someones toe so out of wack. When was the last time that you replaced your outer/inner tie rods? May want to look into that if they're not able to get you back into spec right now or try another Alignment place.
Old 03-24-13, 09:27 PM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

Adjustable rear suspension is not a waste of money. I got my GS with 136k miles and the rear toe links bushings were shot and I could not get my toe anywhere near in spec and ordered some adjustable ones. This was when I was at STOCK height and spec was not reachable. For $175 i'll gladly pay for a set of adjustable rear links. That's cheap and better than having worn OEM bushings for the rear.

For the front i've never seen someones toe so out of wack. When was the last time that you replaced your outer/inner tie rods? May want to look into that if they're not able to get you back into spec right now or try another Alignment place.
Outer tie rod ends and lbj were replaced by moog last month. So adjusting the outer tie rods will fix my front toe ... why couldn't the damn shop tell me that.. all they told me was to raise the car with a two finger gap and buy front and rear camber kits

Originally Posted by acuratechv

Yessir, dropped it to one finger gap all around.
Old 03-25-13, 07:56 AM
acuratechv
Driver School Candidate

We may be arguing different things, if YOU couldnt get yours in spec while having worn out suspsension is a different scenario. not to mention I don't know the details about your problem.

from what was said You replaced your toe arms because they were worn out not because theyre out of adjustments. being out of adjustment is the effect of worn out suspension (unless you're slammed on coil overs and did need the extra room). so, installation of the adjustable toe arms was merely a precaution for you, perhaps to save a trip. You would've been fine just replacing your defective, and because of that I suspect it may have been an over kill

if all his suspension is intact then I still say replacing and upgrading is a waste. it's a luxury sedan for ****s sake not a track car.

His f toe out is normal and expected after being lowered, nothing to freak out about, but should be adjusted in a matter of days.
Old 03-25-13, 08:16 AM
acuratechv
Driver School Candidate

and to add hey comment regarding adjustable toe arms. Majority of them are junk most of them use cheap Spherical joints (megan is a good example) which ive seen wear out in under a year.

if you can correct your specs with what is there or replacing with new fresh bushings/oem arms do so, and save yourself headache later

SPC has some great control arms with polyurethane bushings, none of that spherical junk , maybe look into that...