Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein Comfort Sport Coilover Review

Old 10-15-14, 03:23 PM
DreamGS4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey CL, since i just got my GS4, thought id chime in and throw in my 2 cents.

I have a '98 GS400 that was riding on all stock suspension, decided that the ride quality of this car was the most important to keep, but wanted to lower it too. Just installed a set of the Tein Comfort Sport V2 Coilovers. and I must say these are INCREDIBLE. They definitely ride way softer than stock, my current settings are 1/2 stiffness in the front and 1/3 stiffness in the rear (thats 15 clicks right from max soft in front and 10 clicks right from max soft in the rear). At Max softness they were just TOO soft, one bump or dip on the freeway and you're bouncing for days haha honestly felt as if i was riding on Jet Puffed Marshmellows, BUT rode EXTREMELY SMOOTH. At max stiffness it rides closer to stock suspension, no where near stiff at all, so if you're looking for cornering improvements, these are NOT the way to go. Im also at lowest settings for ride height and currently the car is sitting on the stock 17x8.5 rims wrapped in 235/45/R17 tires and while its definitely not slammed, its definitely loooooooowww. At these settings im scrapping HARD going up driveways, and not just the tail pipes, my UNDERCARRIAGE scrapes so hard on some steeper driveways i want to cry. Beware of speed bumps, you WILL bottom out if you go any faster than like 2mph no joke, ive hit my undercarriage way too many times, it hurts my soul every time. All in all these are excellent for the ride comfort but offer absolutely no performance edge when cornering.

For anyone who is or will be looking for these in the near and far future, they have been recently discontinued unfortunately. I called 10-15 stores and suppliers across the country before finally getting a hold of someone in the parts department at Tein headquarters in So Cal. He said their warehouse inventory indicated that they had 5 sets left and after that, thats it for the Comfort Sports. MSRP for these were $1700, so anyone who doesnt mind spending the pretty penny to get these, he did say that they will remanufacture them at a 30% fee on request. I had a hard time justifying paying this much for comfort suspension but after ridding on these, i have to say, it was definitely money well spent. TWO THUMBS UP!!

EDIT: 6/28/16

So here I am almost 2 years later, I have about 15k on this setup now, I have since changed my wheels out to the BMW Style 95s 9.5"x19" Font, and 10"x19" Rears (i think thats the stock widths dont quote me, but they are the OE BMW staggered set). With the larger rims and lower profile tires (235/35/19 front and 255/35/19 Rear) I was definitely able feel more of the road, and i again wanted to keep the factory ride quality; so i clicked everything down to MAX softness. YUP rides like marshmellows, but hey, those things just eat up the imperfections in the road like no other.. A few of my friends prefer Benz over Lexus so they have S Classes and CL classes, 00-04 models with "Hydraulic" Suspension supposedly the best and "smoothest" suspension on the market at the time. I've been driving their cars around here and there annnnnnd in all honesty, my GS WITH my 19" and 35 profile tires rides smoother than the Mercedes ABC suspension hands down. However I was cruising down the 110 Freeway the other day on my way to work when this 2014 GS350 F sport rides up next to me, we had a little go at it, and I could hang with him in the few straights that the 110 offers, for those of you that don't know, the 110 is a very small tight winding freeway, but at max softness my CS V2s are no match for F sport suspension (EDFC is now on the list of things to get ). Anyway, just thought id share some info with my experience with these coils for the past 2 years.

Last edited by DreamGS4; 06-28-16 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JDMfoLIFE (03-07-20)
Old 12-07-14, 12:19 PM
daj430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the cs version1 which I need to rebuild them, I love the ride and how low they went and not that bouncy ride feel. If my cs can't be rebuilt then I was told to go with the fortune auto coilover kit with could be the same ride feel as the cs and be as low.
Old 02-15-15, 10:26 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm at the point now where i'm looking to go lower and i feel the Tein CS is just not getting me there... years ago it was one of the most popular Coilovers to get because of the stock feeling when driving.. Years later i'm ready to tuck right above the tire and i feel i need to go a little lower... I've read some good posts about the Megan LP's and BC's. i've talked to a few members who are happy with both so the decision is only harder but even with the extreme drop you can tuck tire and still go low if necessary.. I've seen a few members rides recently and i think the BC's will get me there. I have zero issues with the CS except that the spring rate could be a little stiffer but all the years i've had them and under 20k miles on them they are holding up very well.
Old 02-20-15, 03:46 PM
LeXUsFeEVa
Rookie

I actually just recently took my tein CS off to go with air. For the time I had them I have to say they were the best coilovers I ever owned. One drawback on them was the height limit for adjustability; I did however learn from Tein directly that you can switch the rear coil to the front and purchase a different rear coil and gain an extra 1" drop all around! (coils cost roughly $130 contact tein for part number)

Long story short if you want a luxury ride at decent height you can't go wrong with the Tein CS (I have the V2s which are for sale by the way if anyones interested)

20" rims plus Tein CS
18/19" plus Tein CS unless you switch the coils
Old 02-21-15, 10:36 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by LeXUsFeEVa
I actually just recently took my tein CS off to go with air. For the time I had them I have to say they were the best coilovers I ever owned. One drawback on them was the height limit for adjustability; I did however learn from Tein directly that you can switch the rear coil to the front and purchase a different rear coil and gain an extra 1" drop all around! (coils cost roughly $130 contact tein for part number)

Long story short if you want a luxury ride at decent height you can't go wrong with the Tein CS (I have the V2s which are for sale by the way if anyones interested)

20" rims plus Tein CS
18/19" plus Tein CS unless you switch the coils
i have the V1 and agree that they are a great coil but don't offer the height adjustability like BC or Megan...
Old 02-21-15, 10:50 AM
RichS11
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Never had Teins so can't comment but I've always been happy with the BC coilovers I've had. I've had a set with 10/8 spring rates and my new set has 12/10 spring rates. If I could find some springs to fit I'd go with 14/12 personally or even higher because of how low I like my car.

BC's have always been reliable and living in the UK where the local council decides to cover the roads in salt at winter, they have held up well with no issues at all.

*If anyone knows where I could get higher rated springs that will fit, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-15, 10:53 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by RichS11
Never had Teins so can't comment but I've always been happy with the BC coilovers I've had. I've had a set with 10/8 spring rates and my new set has 12/10 spring rates. If I could find some springs to fit I'd go with 14/12 personally or even higher because of how low I like my car.

BC's have always been reliable and living in the UK where the local council decides to cover the roads in salt at winter, they have held up well with no issues at all.

*If anyone knows where I could get higher rated springs that will fit, please let me know.

Thanks.
I've heard from a few members that BC is really the way to go... although Megan LP's offer a great height adjustabiliy coil but i've been in that position many times where i take the cheaper way out and something happens... Not saying Megan is bad but you get what you pay for. i was thinking 12/10k myself but now i see 14/12 and 16/12 availability is the 12/10 bouncy at all?
Old 02-21-15, 11:03 AM
RichS11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I've heard from a few members that BC is really the way to go... although Megan LP's offer a great height adjustabiliy coil but i've been in that position many times where i take the cheaper way out and something happens... Not saying Megan is bad but you get what you pay for. i was thinking 12/10k myself but now i see 14/12 and 16/12 availability is the 12/10 bouncy at all?
No it's not bouncy at all. The 12/10's are good, but I sometimes have to do airport runs and if I can't use my girlfriends car, then I have to use the Lexus. All that weight of bags and people would lower the car on the old 10/8's. It a bit better on the 12/10's which would make me think the 14/12's would be a nice all rounder.

When it's just me in the car the 12/10's will rattle your brains out if you set the damping rate too high. This week I'll dial the damping rate right down and see how spongy the ride is.
Old 02-21-15, 11:13 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by RichS11
No it's not bouncy at all. The 12/10's are good, but I sometimes have to do airport runs and if I can't use my girlfriends car, then I have to use the Lexus. All that weight of bags and people would lower the car on the old 10/8's. It a bit better on the 12/10's which would make me think the 14/12's would be a nice all rounder.

When it's just me in the car the 12/10's will rattle your brains out if you set the damping rate too high. This week I'll dial the damping rate right down and see how spongy the ride is.
by rattle you mean its to stiff? yea the 14/12s might be better.. its mostly myself in the car anyway...
Old 02-21-15, 11:55 AM
RichS11
Intermediate

Yeah sorry. It's really stiff. The damping rates on the shocks are good. Nice range. I've always been tempted by Teins, the old saying "spend more and buy once", but BC haven't let me down yet.
Old 08-14-23, 03:39 PM
Bigbody12124
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RoninEng
I bought the cs I have from a member on here for a great price and then i basically rebuilt them. The ride quality is fantastic. The main "disadvantage" people say is the limit to ride height adjustment. IE if you want to slam the car you can't. It's bs though bc you can purchase springs straight from TEIN for a very affordable price that are direct replacements for the "stock" coil springs. I can go down 4 inches now if i wanted and still have an amazing ride quality. Gotta love that
hey man, how did you get these rebuilt are therre any manuals online, do these need gassing?